Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2012, 09:56 AM   #1

If you live in NC, check your drivers license

If you live in North Carolina, read what it says on the back side of your drivers license.
This is of interest to those pulling a trailer or toad with M/H.

If you've not renewed your NC drivers license yet, it states that if under 26001 lbs & a single unit, no CDL license needed, but if double unit, like trailer or toad combined & class C license is what you have, then GVWR can only be 10,000 lbs.

I was alerted of this yesterday while having the M/H state inspected.
My license have been renewed in the past year & they are worded different on the back than the older drivers license, so I'm legal to have a GVWR of 26001 lbs if single or double unit & no CDL needed.
Neil
C-Leigh Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2012, 10:01 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Leigh Racing View Post
If you live in North Carolina, read what it says on the back side of your drivers license.
This is of interest to those pulling a trailer or toad with M/H.

If you've not renewed your NC drivers license yet, it states that if under 26001 lbs & a single unit, no CDL license needed, but if double unit, like trailer or toad combined & class C license is what you have, then GVWR can only be 10,000 lbs.

I was alerted of this yesterday while having the M/H state inspected.
My license have been renewed in the past year & they are worded different on the back than the older drivers license, so I'm legal to have a GVWR of 26001 lbs if single or double unit & no CDL needed.
Neil
Yikes! Is this a change in the law? I routinely pull farm equipment on a flat bed trailer in excess of 10000 lbs. My horse trailer fully loaded would exceed 10000 lbs. It's NOTHING for me to put 10000 lbs of HAY on my rig and tow it to and fro. I'm worried now.

My current license (which expires in 2017) says this:
"Class C: Any noncommercial single vehicle with a GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds. A vehicle towing a vehicle which has a combined GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds...".
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:19 PM   #3

Your new license has you covered by how it is worded on the back of the card, it is the old license, say like before 2009.

My brothers son, how his license reads on the back, if hes pulling a trailer & if the GVWR on the M/H is 20,500 & trailer is 7000, he can only gross 10,000 lbs all together.
Reason he was telling me all this, one of his friends pulling a race car trailer, was stopped by a trooper & he gave him an over weight ticket just because of how it read on the back of his license.

I think the wording on the back of the old license, was a mistake or something to make people go ahead & spend the money for CDL license.
Neil
C-Leigh Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:35 AM   #4

Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
Ok so I now pull a Honda CRV on a modified tow dolly. Modified means it's extended to allow me to put a golf cart on sideways. I woulds guess my weight is 30K. What license do I need? I'm not commercial so a CDL is not what I want.
Just Because is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:19 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Carolina Campers
American Coach Owners Club
This one comes around every now and again. Just upgraded my NC class c to a NON cdl class B this covers weight issue. Lots of fun taking the trucker test on computer, I am so old I took #2 pencils in for the test.....
papa&susu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:03 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by papa&susu
This one comes around every now and again. Just upgraded my NC class c to a NON cdl class B this covers weight issue. Lots of fun taking the trucker test on computer, I am so old I took #2 pencils in for the test.....
So, being a NC resident and having purchased a new MH out of state means when I get home will iI have to take a non cfl class B? Looks that way cause the back of my license says class c 26'000 lbs. never realized !!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:22 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx View Post
So, being a NC resident and having purchased a new MH out of state means when I get home will iI have to take a non cfl class B? Looks that way cause the back of my license says class c 26'000 lbs. never realized !!
The way I read it, you are fine with a regular class C as long as your COMBINED weight is less than 26,001 pounds.

From the NCDOT web site:

Class C License

Required to operate any single vehicle that is not carrying hazardous material in quantities required to be placarded or is designed to carry no more than 15 passengers including the driver with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of less than 26,001 pounds; or any vehicle towing a vehicle which has a combined GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds operated by a driver at least eighteen years old. Most drivers need only a Regular Class C license to operate personal automobiles and small trucks.

Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote