Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-12-2014, 02:17 PM   #15
Twogypsies there was a thread on RV.net (now deleted as seems to be the custom there IMO) with complaints about PPL. IIRC one fellow complained things that were maintained were damaged and neglected once there, not the other way around. Maybe he was lying. But if the stories are true, like some above which include unsupervised children, vandalism, questionable weather care, I can easily imagine a coach the owner took care of soon looking like they didn't.

But I only know what I read on the internet. Maybe it is all the owners' faults. Or maybe where there's smoke there's fire. And maybe the good reviews are from people who's standards are the same as a sincere sales guy who would buy a coach himself that others consider a beater. I just don't know. As they say, you pays yer money and takes yer chances!

Southpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2014, 05:10 PM   #16
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Mike Brez: appreciate your friends' observations and we have a couple comments...when you put a RV on a consignment lot, we wouldn't expect the RVs to be cleaned up - inside or out. It's just like selling a vehicle yourself. You can clean it up to sell or not. That's the owner's responsibility if they want to sell it for a good price and fast. If we were looking for a used RV we would expect some RVs to look very worn. They're not all going to look sparkling.

That's a reflection on the owner's care and those are RVs that we would definitely pass up.

PPL does have a detailing service for a charge. I suspect many owners don't think detailing is necessary. Many car owners take their cars in for detailing very often. Those are owners that really care about their vehicles. Some owners never detail their vehicles. Yes, some dealers will make every unit sparkle but then you really wouldn't know the background on that vehicle as to care.

We're sure there's a lot of junk on a used RV lot. It's to be expected. It's up to the owners to clean up their RV or let PPL do it. Some choose not to do so. When you buy used you have to go through a lot of them to find one to suit you. That goes for anything used.

Another comment about "sitting out in the weather and getting hammered". We understand this is an outside lot so, yes, the RVs are going to get rained on and the wind is going to blow - just like being in a campground. This is a good test to see if the RVs leak. There's no reason to bring slides in and cover up a possible leaking problem. We'd want to know if the RV leaks.

Also, a picture doesn't reveal everything. You need to see things in person. We'd never buy a vehicle without seeing it in person.

I guess we're torn on this. We've heard many high recommendations for PPL although we're sure there are some bad-looking RVs put on a used sales lot. That's not PPLs fault. It's the owners and I suppose if we were buying we'd like to really see just how owners care for their RVs. If not cared for, they'll be passed up. So these issues can be looked on in two ways - positive or negative.

Well let's see were to start... First off these people were not my friends. I asked on this forum if anyone was going to PPL in the near future if they would mind looking at a coach for me. I posted the unit number and got those two responses here in my pm box. The big thing that pi$$ed me off us the salesmen telling me how good the unit was. I specifically asked about tire date codes and it looked like something was a little funny near the front wiper and told me it was just the picture. I would have been pretty pi$$ed if I flew from ct to tx to look at a pos..
I just purchased my rv a few weeks ago from a consignment lot also. All units are plugged in. All units were locked. All parked on nice concrete. I know PPL sells a bunch of units but sorry I'm not jumping on the band wagon.

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:32 PM   #17
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I have a good friend who bought his first RV ( class A) at PPL. It had been rode hard and put away wet. The price was cheap and he was happy as pig in slop. I was glad he was happy and welcomed him to the RV community. Over time I answered his questions and help fix a couple things as they showed up. But never once did he feel upset about his deal. Blame PPL why? Buying ANYTHING used....."buyer beware". If you are to lazy to do your homework, then no one to blame but you.
2007 Newmar KSDP. 3912
2010 Nissan Frontier SE
DGBPokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 01:53 AM   #18
I didn't buy at ppl, but wen several times to look at units. They tend to have allot of units in the 20 to 40k price range. And I was looking at the lower end of that price range. They had everything I would expect to see on a used car lot. Some really nice and some wore out units. They were always nice. But I was there when they closed up and it didn't seem to me like they looked very hard. I was there in the middle of summer and none of the units were plugged in and cooled so I didn't look at them very long. Which also means I did t take my time and sit in them and mover around and go walk around the bed ect. I spent 2 hours in my couch before u bought it. Made them cool the fridge start and run the genie. Ect ect. Which at ppl I was discouraged from. I also let the engine run for Awhile. But that's how I looked for mine you may be different. But I have no bad feelings but I live an hour from new bruanfuls location. Mhsrv is a much much nicer facility and I bet they get more high dollar customers. I never got to see anything in my price range there.

Chris and Julia, 2000 fleetwood jamboree class c
livesound is offline   Reply With Quote

motorhome, texas