Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
stik

The information you found is absolutely correct...and often leads to confusion even with some individual DMV employees.

There is a requirement for a NON-CDL license for:

16,000-26,000 - C (Test and drive)
>26,000 - D (Test and Drive) Test is same as C except you get more questions.

There is no air brake endorsement for either of these NON-CDL licenses.

This is the study guide for the non-CDL tests:

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/pu...s/dsd_x142.pdf

Page 5 of the following guide provides some rather good, plain language information of the different classes. However on the right side of that page is says you can rent for moving and such a vehicle up to 26,000 on a class D license as long as you get some kind of safety training. That might confuse some folks.

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/pu...s/dsd_a112.pdf

Page 12 of that guide provides specific driving test criteria...for a CAR. It specifically addresses the left turn into an ally and backing out to go the other direction. The issue that has me fuming.

I am in contact with the Sec of State on these issues.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
OR requires a special license for an RV?
Here in WA it's just the standard one I've had since the early 60's.
No, Oregon doesn't require a special license.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:13 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by athuddriver
stik

The information you found is absolutely correct...and often leads to confusion even with some individual DMV employees.

There is a requirement for a NON-CDL license for:

16,000-26,000 - C (Test and drive)
>26,000 - D (Test and Drive) Test is same as C except you get more questions.

There is no air brake endorsement for either of these NON-CDL licenses.

This is the study guide for the non-CDL tests:

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/pu...s/dsd_x142.pdf

Page 5 of the following guide provides some rather good, plain language information of the different classes. However on the right side of that page is says you can rent for moving and such a vehicle up to 26,000 on a class D license as long as you get some kind of safety training. That might confuse some folks.

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/pu...s/dsd_a112.pdf

Page 12 of that guide provides specific driving test criteria...for a CAR. It specifically addresses the left turn into an ally and backing out to go the other direction. The issue that has me fuming.

I am in contact with the Sec of State on these issues.
yup. I need to do that someday...
reading this really makes me ina hurry, too.
I never ever take the bus into anywhere without the ability to preplan an escape route. I tow 4 down, so that escape routenever ever involves going backwards!
Old 08-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimM68 View Post
yup. I need to do that someday...
reading this really makes me ina hurry, too.
I never ever take the bus into anywhere without the ability to preplan an escape route. I tow 4 down, so that escape routenever ever involves going backwards!
My biggest concern was insurance. I would not like to have a claim denied because I was not properly licensed.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
CA,CT,HI,IL,KS,MD,MI,NC,NM,NV,NY,PA,SC,TX,WI,WY-- are all the states that require an endorsement for rv license, all others class D ok to drive them certain states after so many feet or over 26,000 ibs-or tow vehicle weight and length, require endorsement. You will want to check state laws you dont want to get a ticket, very spendy. Like i said most states your ok in. Have friends in AZ Highway Patrol kind of clued me in, Also said they usually dont mess with the Rvers to much cuz there usually slower moving and
dont cause to many problems .Just info for every one : ) hope it will help some of ya : )
Happy Trails!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IRV2-Supporter
Sutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #20
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutler View Post
CA,CT,HI,IL,KS,MD,MI,NC,NM,NV,NY,PA,SC,TX,WI,WY-- are all the states that require an endorsement for rv license, all others class D ok to drive them certain states after so many feet or over 26,000 ibs-or tow vehicle weight and length, require endorsement. You will want to check state laws you dont want to get a ticket, very spendy. Like i said most states your ok in. Have friends in AZ Highway Patrol kind of clued me in, Also said they usually dont mess with the Rvers to much cuz there usually slower moving and
dont cause to many problems .Just info for every one : ) hope it will help some of ya : )
Happy Trails!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

California does not require any special license for C's or 5th wheels below certain weight limits. Less than 40 feet even with air brakes do not require any special endorsement either. Over 40 feet is a non commercial B.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #21

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
California does not require any special license for C's or 5th wheels below certain weight limits. Less than 40 feet even with air brakes do not require any special endorsement either. Over 40 feet is a non commercial B.
yes sir, exactly right like i said have to check each states laws : ) and also 5th wheels over 15,000 ibs require non-commercial class A in CA. Each state
has its own little differences still better to be safe then sorry .Kind of got me looking at Californias laws all my buddies take there class A"s to the dunes and wifes and grandchildren ,every year we dont want no troubles were all up there at 55 to 64 feet long, with tow trailers so its good on our part to know the laws you know. : ) you have a good one Sir : )
IRV2-Supporter
Old 08-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just as a follow up...I'm getting a lot of action from the Sec or State's office. Several phone calls and email. My next step is to file a claim for damage to my RV.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #23

Freightliner Owners Club
Thats unreal that the DMV would put you and your rig in an area like that anyways, that person should be at fault big time,if not the DMV should take action,seeing you were doing what the examiner told you to.
IRV2-Supporter
Old 08-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #24
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I am taking the Non Commercial Class B license written test tomorrow. Just getting that far was a riot. One supervisor telling the other supervisor what form to use when I had it in black and white in my hand already. The one supervisor insisted they needed the yellow form. After handing that to me I laughed and said, where on this form does it say Non-Commercial B? It happens to show it on the form I filled out at the beginning of the line. That form is white. The second supervisor agreed. The first supervisor asked how long my MH was. I said that is not the issue, 40 feet or 45 feet I wanted to take the test for the "motorcoach" license. Confiding in the first person I was working with I had told her this would be fun and to be patient. I would be having some fun with her co-workers because I knew this was an unusual experience. I can read a person usually very well from the moment I meet them and she played right along. As things passed back and forth the "Supervisor" advised me I wouldn't have time to take the test anyway. My response was,"wanna bet". I told her I would be done in 5 minutes or less. Ok, I would have to take the C class again and then the whatever test they found. In any case most morons can pass those test after one reading of the manual. No apologies to the morons. If you can afford a 40 footer you probably aren't stupid.

They messed around, took my money, my picture, and typed into the computer for five minutes. By this time the nice lady I was having fun with asked if I would like an appointment to take the test because of the time. I said sure, to make her day a bit more fun. Keep in mind the brainless idiots she must have to deal with everyday. I am not necessiarly referring to her co-workers either. Man, it must be the 106 degree heat bringing out the mean in me today. Why would I decide to go pick on the California DMV on a day like today? Oh yeah, back to the mean part. Listen to Taylor Swifts song, why did you have to be so mean and maybe you will understand.

So, while their supervisors stuff photo copies of "their examiners requirements" into my pile of dead trees I laugh to myself. Their examiner don't set the standards and there is an appeals board that I have dealt with before. So, the examiner might find themselves standing along the road in 108 degree heat if they, well, lets say, upset me.

Now if they remember their manners, I will leave the air conditioner on. If they don't and ask me to back into a camping space with an attitude, well I have to exit to check for overhanging limbs, bushes, children playing, oil leaking, and oh yeah, why the generator just died and you are sitting in front of that beautiful bay window accumulating 140 degrees a minute. Could be 30 minutes or so because I set out my own orange cones when I back up alone. With my wife and radios we work together.

Now, as a private pilot, I never ever had any animosity towards the flight check inspector. Contrar. I knew he had vastly more experience than me and was there to make sure I was a safe pilot and actually there to teach me something if the instructor missed which he did and I did not fail. I was grateful and enjoyed his chagrin when I didn't lock my brakes on a short field landing. My excuse was it wasn't my airplane and I really didn't want to abuse the brakes like that. I made the landing perfectly other than that. He passed me.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote