Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-08-2012, 06:43 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Angry IL Class C (Non-CDL) Check Ride Examiner

It's been over 24 hours since I finished my drive with the DMV to get my Class C upgrade. I passed but I am still highly upset about it.

Sandee and I got to the DMV around 2 PM and there was a back log. I got my ride at about 4:00 and Sandee got hers after I got back with the same examiner.

The examiner was a total jerk to the 3 previous exams and then with me. I've been through a lot of pilot exam rides and never had such a "mad at the world" person to deal with.

We get to the RV and go through the usual equipment checks. Of course she tells me that I need to start it and listen for instructions...UMMM...from 40' away I am suppose to hear her? After that she enters the RV and announces in a rude manner that she can't proceed with the ride...WTH? No reason so I ask and she says she can't get past my 2 dog crates which do extend past the passenger slide out and make it a tight fit to get by them and the galley counter. I tell her I can extend the slide to give her room so she makes a grunt and says ok. She then asks if I know it is illegal to drive with a slide out...DUHH! She gets in seat and I pull slide in.

We commence the drive and she waits to the last second in some cases to tell me what is next. About 5 minutes into the ride after I go through an intersection she tells me to make a left turn into a narrowish drive (about 18' wide) without telling me why. I'm looking for an escape route because I have no clue what is next and while I'm in the turn she mutters that this isn't going to work. I'm clueless about what we are doing and what/why it won't work. I'm instructed to continue the turn and I stop after I clear the sidewalk. She get up and tells me to back out in a manner to go back he way we came. So I am supposed to back out into my blind spot. She exits the RV...after the slide out is moved again. She then proceeds to a point where I can't see her. The problem is that there is a trailer parked on the side of the road blocking view of traffic and about 30' past the edge of the drive I am backing out of with my 39' long RV. (Do the math.) Well that didn't go well since I wasn't set up properly. I got it backed out but I had to go into the far lane a bit because I couldn't make a hard cut to swing my tail around because I was pinned in on the left side buy a curb.

I am not afraid to admit I could have done better if I knew what was going on. That being said, I would NEVER have put myself in that situation in the first place. If I had to do something like that I would have had my co-pilot get out and spot with an FM radio in hand. The only other situation where that might have happened was a dead end but then I wouldn't have to look for traffic but I would still have a spotter.

We finally get back to the DMV, she doesn't say a word and goes back to whisper something to a co-worker, returns and in a terse manner says I passed. I try to put a smile on and thank her for her time but she ignores me.

I quickly brief Sandee on the chain of events and she goes next. The examiner takes a whole different tone with Sandee. She is nice, chats, and tells her on a few occasions how well she was doing. I'm ok with that but I think I am a victim of sexism? LOL

HOWEVER...

On this ride she has Sandee turn down a different drive that is about 18' wide but tree branches hang over about 8' of that drive. She actually briefs Sandee on what she wanted before she got out. The problem is that to meet those expectations Sandee has to scrape the tree limbs on the driver side of the RV. Fortunately these were not oak trees with massive limbs. Never-the-less by the time she get backed out she still crosses into the far lane and limbs have pushed my CB antenna over and scratched the top driver side of the RV.

AAARRRGGGHHH

The examiner passes her.

I got up on the roof today and the CB antenna didn't do any damage. It just got pushed over on it's pivot bolt mount. The scratches are not horrible but still noticeable.

This examiner should not have put either of us in these positions of not knowing what was expected or causing damage to meet those expectations. Check rides shouldn't be a course of brute intimidation. As a pilot and flight instructor I have been part of many aircraft check rides and I have never seen an examiner be so rude and unfriendly to me or my students. Yes, being professional might not mean being overly friendly but at least calming instead of agitating.

In aviation there are instructions called Practical Test Standards (PTS) which outlines each task that must be demonstrated and provides guidance on how a task must be performed. In effect, when a student pilot is told to do a particular maneuver, they have been trained on what that maneuver is and all aspects of it including how they enter, execute and exit that maneuver. It also provides grading criteria such as heading, airspeed and altitude targets through out that maneuver. In effect, a student going into a check ride knows what XYZ maneuver is before they start and what it takes to demonstrate it satisfactorily.

I have taken several pictures of the RV and the drive locations and plan to speak to the DMV station manager. As a customer who, in part, pays part of this person's salary, I should be treated better. I should also expect clear instructions on what to do and what the expected outcome should be.

Maybe I'm spitting in the wind but, dang it, I just don't think this was good customer service on the part of the DMV. I want my money back! LOL

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
At least you got as far as taking the exam. After two attempts to take the written exam for the class A non-commercial, we have to go back and try again. So far the idiots at the DPS office have not been able to figure out the proper test for us to take. We now have a name and number at the Austin HQ for them to call and have the procedure explained to them.

Last Friday after 2 hours in line, they tried to get us to take the written exam for a full class A CDL. It is so much fun dealing with idiots.

Ken

Old 08-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
OH...I totally understand that one. I have gotten 3 different answers from 4 DMV employees. 2 said we didn't need it...WRONG! LOL
Old 08-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #4

I don't understand why these examiners have such a big percentage of solid gold jerks in their ranks. I was riding with another RV'er in Maryland who needed to get his license upgraded (I have a CDL) and he got one like you had too. Just an absolute idiot, nitpicking garbage on the walk around, and he didn't even get a chance to drive.

Some people just can't handle positions of authority.

Glad you passed.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:17 PM   #5

I know what I would have done. "No, mam, I will not turn here. I wouldn't do it in real life, I won't do it here". After failing, I'd have gotten my paperwork, which gives time & a temporary endorsement (if the written was passed) which will allow time to find a different DMV to test at. At least in Oregon.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
What state are you in. I would definatly write your states DMV. Their is no reason to act that way.
38 ft Challenger
2008 Saturn Vue Toad
2001 HD Ultra
Old 08-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
I know what I would have done. "No, mam, I will not turn here. I wouldn't do it in real life, I won't do it here". After failing, I'd have gotten my paperwork, which gives time & a temporary endorsement (if the written was passed) which will allow time to find a different DMV to test at. At least in Oregon.
OR requires a special license for an RV?
Here in WA it's just the standard one I've had since the early 60's.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
In hindsight that is what we should have done. In my case I didn't know what was next and I did have a good escape route that would not have required the backing up. I wasn't expecting that to happen. When she got out I somehow thought she was trying to fix the "this won't work" and spot...WRONG! What was I thinking!?
Old 08-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #9

Pond Piggies Club
Hi Neighbor. Let me guess, you went to the Champaign DMV? The Champaign office can't touch my CDL, so I always go to either Rantoul, or Tilton. I've taken a lot of people to Rantoul to upgrade their license, and have never had a problem. If it was Rantoul, you must of caught somebody on a bad day. I don't go to Champaign even if I have a non CDL related problem. The Champaign people wasn't going to let my father-in-law do his driving test because he only had one license plate light. When I told her that I was going to call CPD, and have them explain to here that under current MVC, there was nothing written about how many lights, as long as it was lit. So, we went to Rantoul.

Going to the rally?

Regards,
Grumpytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpytrkr View Post
Hi Neighbor. Let me guess, you went to the Champaign DMV? ...
You guess very good. LOL The funny part is that in all my dealings with them through the years I have never had this kind of problem. For the most part they folks behind the counter have been quick, efficient and helpful.

When we upgrade to a bigger DP, which needs the Class B, Non-CDL...Rantoul it will be. I'm kinda wishing we made a "mistake" and quoted our GCWR of 29,000#, we could have just gone straight to the B instead and be done with it.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:30 PM   #11

Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by athuddriver View Post
You guess very good. LOL
When we upgrade to a bigger DP, which needs the Class B, Non-CDL...Rantoul it will be. I'm kinda wishing we made a "mistake" and quoted our GCWR of 29,000#, we could have just gone straight to the B instead and be done with it.
In order to upgrade to a B CDL, you will need a straight truck with a GVWR of 26,001 pounds or over. And, if you don't want the air brake restriction (air brakes ARE NOT an endorcement) you will have to find something with air brakes, too. Then you have to have somebody that all ready has this on their license. I think then, you will have to take two CDL written tests. One for basic CDL, and one for air brakes. And then, you have to tell the DMV what kind of driver you are so you don't have to have a physical card. In anycase, Rantoul or Monticello would be a good place.

The only time I have ever been questioned in Rantoul is when I took a person up there to upgrade their license. When he passed the test, the examiner asked who brought them up, and he pointed to me. They asked to see my license, to make sure that he was with a "qualified" person as he only had a CDL permit.

The last time I renewed my license, I had to take 7 written tests. My name poped up on the computer. I had not taken a written test since the CDL's were first issued, and I was grandfathered in from the old "D" license.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!
Grumpytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:36 AM   #12

I sure am glad I have a CDL from my days of 18wheeling It's never a good day when you have to deal with Idot Idiots, ran into a few at the scales, years ago.

This person appears unqualified to provide a "Check Ride", one of the first things you learn is to watch for low clearances. She probably took you on the same route she takes for cars. She is also to "Large" to do her job if she can't enter and exit a vehicle without assistance.

I wasn't aware that Illinois required a different class of license to drive a Class C or a DP, course doesn't suprise me, another way to remove some cash from your pocket
I always wondered why if large Diesel Coaches had air brakes, many built on large truck chassis, they could be operated by persons with only a license to drive a car or pickup.

I see a lot of questions about air brakes from people who buy diesel coaches with Air Brakes and have no knowledge of the system.

Well anyhoo, you got the license, but the scratches on the coach would be a big problem. Document, Document Document. Take Pictures and press for this person to be retrained into a different job, like pushing a broom

Happy trails
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:21 AM   #13

I am confused, there is no requirement for a CDL for a motorhome in Illinois, did you just WANT to have a CDL?

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/pu...s/dsd_x142.pdf

About half way down on Page 1, it states that a CDL is NOT required for a Recreational Vehicle.

"Operators Exempt from Obtaining a CDL
If your vehicle meets one of the following definitions, you are not required to obtain a CDL.

Recreational Vehicle
When using a recreational vehicle primarily for personal use, you do not need to obtain a CDL. . ."

Am I missing something. The quote came from the linked document that was published in July 2012.
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:46 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like in Texas, a CDL is not needed, but there is a NON-CDL class A and a class whichare require for GCWR over 26000#.

Ken