Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2016, 02:16 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by throbbin367 View Post
LoadChris83,
Just wondering why you don't stay on
I-15 through Utah? Should be around a 3 day trip in a MH. I live in Utah and have been from vegas to ely and north and that not the fastest or most scenic in my opinion.
Because I have never done this trip before and figured HWY 93 to Twin Falls would be less stressful than freeway driving. From Twin Falls I plan on taking 84/86-I15-Hwy20 to W Yellowstone. I wouldn't mind driving the boonies on 93. Interstates are kind of nerve racking. We just wanted to take our time, we are in no rush. Just want to get in the road and stop when we want to stop.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2016, 02:18 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Have you replaced the brake fluid? Going into the mountainous area, I would change the brake fluid and bleed the lines before leaving. For calls for new fluid every two years.
No I haven't. I will have my mechanic swap it out for me if I can. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 05-11-2016, 02:32 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
Just a thought, have you checked tire age? You mention mileage but I didn't see anything about age of tires. I would suggest you ensure they are no more than about 7 years old before you start off on your trip.

Also try not to overload your coach. That will help with performance and mpg. Full tanks of water, gray and black, etc are heavy, especially in the mountains.
X2
Plus, weigh your rig. If not each corner, at least each axle. Then check with the tire manufacturer website for proper inflation.

Check tire pressure in the morning before rolling. Every tire. Every time before rolling. No exceptions. Under inflated tires are the main cause of blowouts and/or tire failures. Have tires inspected by a tire dealer to check for cracking, abnormal tread wear, etc. Traveling over mountain passes is fun, but not with bad tires or tires that are on their last leg.

Basic tool kit is all you need. Fuses are a good idea. You'll figure out the rest as you go along.

Don't forget appropriate beverages!!

Don
Old 05-11-2016, 02:42 PM   #32

Just bought a membership over at Coach-Net

Feeling better!
Old 05-11-2016, 02:42 PM   #33

LoadChris83,
I had an 87 winne with an ol' 460 in it. Been from so cal to Idaho and I don't like the state roads. They are narrow usually not much shoulder and on coming traffic a couple feet away, plus your out in the boonies at some distances from service stations or parts, I was worried about my MH breaking down on me although it never did
throbbin367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:22 PM   #34

Not necessarily needed but nice to have, a dash cam you can use or set up to take snap shots automatically, keep memories.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:04 AM   #35

You only get to take one “first trip” in your new motor home…enjoy it.

You should take my wife’s tool kit: a can of WD40 and a roll of electrical tape. If it doesn’t move and should, hit it with WD40. If it moves and shouldn’t, use the tape.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:34 PM   #36

More well intentioned advice.

Since this is a first trip, try to keep it simple. Major highways, 250 miles per day max, arrive at destination by 3-4 pm, enjoy the experience. You will be fine. Also, you will likely have something go wrong. Hopefully very minor, but these are condos with axles which we drive down the highway at 60 mph. Something almost always goes wrong. Expect it. Don't panic over it. Ask advice on how to get it fixed (if it needs to be fixed) and adjust.

Don
Old 05-12-2016, 12:48 PM   #37

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Have you replaced the brake fluid? Going into the mountainous area, I would change the brake fluid and bleed the lines before leaving. For calls for new fluid every two years.
That should read Ford calls for new fluid every two years.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:01 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadchris83 View Post
I made reservations for each night on the way up. One on Nellis AFB, KOA in Ely, KOA Twin Falls ID, 2 nights at Grizzly RV park in West Yellowstone and one night KOA in Missoula MT.
I see you are stopping in vegas...if you need anything while here hit me up...
sounds like a fun trip...

only concern I would mention is exhaust leaks,... they will take the cat out..

have a fun trip...
Old 05-12-2016, 01:14 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by throbbin367 View Post
LoadChris83,
Just wondering why you don't stay on
I-15 through Utah? Should be around a 3 day trip in a MH. I live in Utah and have been from vegas to ely and north and that not the fastest or most scenic in my opinion.
x2 that stretch from salmon north might be hairy
never been through there though...

imo interstate driving is way easier, that and if some small thing was to come up you have resources to help...
Old 05-12-2016, 03:30 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
x2 that stretch from salmon north might be hairy
never been through there though...

imo interstate driving is way easier, that and if some small thing was to come up you have resources to help...

Yea, I am going to be taking 84 to the 15 from twin falls. So I'm not worried bout that.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:59 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadchris83 View Post
So, not only is this my first motorhome, it will be the longest road trip I have ever been on. I have had a TT for about 3 years and the furthest trip I've ever been on was 200 miles away. I haven't even taken my MH out camping yet to christen her. My rig has 53k miles on it, but this is a whole new world to me. I have driven it around town and in traffic and feel comfortable, but I am still weary about driving from Ventura CA to Kalispell MT. I have my route picked out and reservations for 5 nights on the way up.

I tried to keep my daily driving to 200-300 miles a day. Would this be too much? I'm going to take my time, I just don't know if I will be fully prepared!

Guess what I'm saying is, I hope my MH does good on the road. Can any of you guys who have done long trips like this add to anything I should bring? i.e.. extra motor oil, radiator fluid, tools etc.....

Besides all of that, we are super excited to get on the road!

Edit: Forgot to mention, I am bringing MH to get alignment and suspension service a few days before I leave, as well as changing oil etc...
November and December of 2015 we drove our MT from San Diego to NC. We were in no rush and day-to-day mileage based on where our next adventure stop happened to be.

My suggestion is simply take your time, enjoy the road and sights. If this is all new to you, stop ever couple of hours, get out of the MH and walk around a bit - stretch your legs. Get back in and drive until you feel like you want to stop for lunch, dinner, a snack/treat along the way.

Most Important: HAVE FUN!!!! Enjoy the drive, the scenery and the time away from the hassles of normal life. YOU'RE AND RVer!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2016, 08:05 AM   #42

Loadchris83,
What I do is drive between 300-500 miles a day or until I am tired. I went from a 38 ft to a 45 ft coach and believe me the 45 ft rides a lot better than the 38. I do carry some tools but as usual you wont have the tool for the problem. Keeping your service up on the coach is to me the most important thing. The most important thing to me is the tire pressure. I have seen many coaches with the rear quarter panels destroyed.
Start out at a speed that you are comfortable with and as you get the feel for the coach
you can up your speed. I drive 67 or 68 mph to stay in the torgue curve of the engine.
Have a safe trip.