Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2016, 06:17 AM   #57

What we worry about is whether the campgrounds we reserved will be good or not and if we picked the right amount of days for each campground we go to to get enough of the site's if it's a touristy area.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2016, 09:51 AM   #58

As if I do not have enough to worry about now.

I just ordered the ready brute elite package as well as a blue ox baseplate for our 2012 Ford Escape. Cool right? NO.

I have been up all night reading about how 09-12 Escapes are not 4 down towable now. Reading all the transmission problems has kept me up all night. Read the Ford TSB from last Nov and it states everything you have to do to not overheat the trans. Which is fine, I was going to do everything in the manual. But I still keep reading that folks are doing the what the manual says and are still blowing transmissions.

Anybody have any insight to the Escape problem. I am tempted to just tow it anyways because we will really need it, I just don't want to burn the tranny in the middle of Nevada desert.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:29 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loadchris83 View Post
As if I do not have enough to worry about now.

I just ordered the ready brute elite package as well as a blue ox baseplate for our 2012 Ford Escape. Cool right? NO.

I have been up all night reading about how 09-12 Escapes are not 4 down towable now. Reading all the transmission problems has kept me up all night. Read the Ford TSB from last Nov and it states everything you have to do to not overheat the trans. Which is fine, I was going to do everything in the manual. But I still keep reading that folks are doing the what the manual says and are still blowing transmissions.

Anybody have any insight to the Escape problem. I am tempted to just tow it anyways because we will really need it, I just don't want to burn the tranny in the middle of Nevada desert.
I did not know any of the Escape vehicles could be flat towed. You could always rent a dolly and drag it along that way until you get things figured out. I have a 2016 Escape and would be interested to know if you can or can't.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:51 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
I did not know any of the Escape vehicles could be flat towed. You could always rent a dolly and drag it along that way until you get things figured out. I have a 2016 Escape and would be interested to know if you can or can't.
I looked into renting one but the ones you rent do not have brakes. I like the dolly idea, but they are expensive!
Old 05-24-2016, 06:28 PM   #61

Fleetwood Owners Club
Short and long trips

we get itchy if we don't go somewhere once a month. luckily we are in an area where we can go 5 hours and be at Zions, Canyonlands, Bryce, Yellowstone..we just got back from a weekend trip to Yellowstone- 200-300- miles is an easy day and a good break in for you as you learn all of the twitches of your motorhome. We just finished planning a 4100 mile trip we are doing with 4 of our grand kids in July. our longest day is 7 hours but is broken up with stops at National Parks or national Monuments- 2016 centennial trip..so excited

take lots of notes, list the quirky things you learned and work them into your check list.

Have a blast- planning is EVERTHING
sewharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 12:56 AM   #62

Well, 2 days left. Got oil changed, trans checked, fluids good. Just have to plug in RV to the house tomorrow and get the fridge going, then load food and personal stuff (golf clubs!!!) Thursday. Heading out 4am Fri morning to beat the traffic to Vegas. Im so pumped! Worried Vegas will be scorching, obviously going to run Gen for the girls. NOT towing vehicle.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:10 AM   #63

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I looked into renting one but the ones you rent do not have brakes. I like the dolly idea, but they are expensive!
I rented a U-Haul one to move the step daughter and 2 kids from MN to WA. The dolly had surge brakes as do all of them I've seen on the U-Haul lots.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 10:38 AM   #64

Newmar Owners Club
Vegas is HOT right now f the forecast is 110 today but cooling down in the next couple of days to the 90`s. If you leave so. cal around 4am you should be okay for the baker grade and in Vegas before the heat really starts to crank up. Sounds like you got the rig ready so relax and have a great time and safe travels.
Good Luck
JP
Mr JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:07 PM   #65

300 miles is a great goal per day leave late get in early and still have time to relax. I would advise you to know the height of your MH and be aware of height restriction signs. My first trip to Yosemite I didn't see the 10'6" bridge clearance on my 12'6" MH. Yeah that was costly!!
stevechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 04:57 PM   #66

Quote:
Well, 2 days left. Got oil changed, trans checked, fluids good. Just have to plug in RV to the house tomorrow and get the fridge going, then load food and personal stuff (golf clubs!!!) Thursday. Heading out 4am Fri morning to beat the traffic to Vegas. Im so pumped! Worried Vegas will be scorching, obviously going to run Gen for the girls. NOT towing vehicle.
Have a good trip and if it were me I would already have my refrigerator on and getting nice and cold.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:58 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevechris View Post
300 miles is a great goal per day leave late get in early and still have time to relax. I would advise you to know the height of your MH and be aware of height restriction signs. My first trip to Yosemite I didn't see the 10'6" bridge clearance on my 12'6" MH. Yeah that was costly!!
That must have been ugly.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:26 PM   #68

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like a great trip! Hardest part would be staying at Grizzly in West Yellowstone for only two nights. We absolutely love it there! Have a great trip and keep us updated.
Old 07-31-2016, 01:12 AM   #69

Well, I have been back for over a month now. Haven't had a chance to log in due to work. Trip up was great, got around 8.8 MPG and saw a ton of beautiful things and places. Trip back was a little bumpy. Long story short, my fuel pump was giving me problems in Nevada. Broke down outside of Wells, NV for 2 nights, had to get a tow. Thought it was alternator at first, until I broke down outside of Alamo, NV again. It was so hot out that my fuel pump was failing (Vaporizing). Tried to drive overnight through Vegas, but it was 105 at 11pm and had to stop in Primm to take a nap/let fuel cool off. It was so hot in Vegas that my generator shut off, so we had NO a/c. Miserable. But we made it home and I learned my lesson, don't drive through Nevada mid summer.

Baker grade was no problem, just did it at 35mph

Other than that, rig did great. Found a few things out about the rig that I didn't see in the inspection. A little rotting wood above front wheel well and a/c can't keep up in 100+ degree weather.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:19 AM   #70

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My 460 Ford has been bullet proof. I carry a variety of tools, hose clamps, fuses, spare lamp bulbs and light bulbs and yes... duct tape. Duct tape and more duct tape. We average 250 miles a day max and we always have a MH park reserved each day. That does two things for us. It limits our time on the road to what we're comfortable with and gives us plenty of daylight to do a walk around, feed our pup and ourselves and relax for the evening. At times I've done 300 miles a day for a couple of days and then purposely reserve a camp site for two nights just to relax, or if in a scenic area unhook the Toad and visit local attractions. This trip has taken us from Washington State through Idaho, Montana, into Wyoming and South Dakota. We've visited Yellowstone, Cody WY, Sturgis (didn't bring a bike, been there done that), Mount Rushmore, The Badlands, Devils Tower, Deadwood and Lead. All the while parking our motorhome in the same park for a week and traveling around in our Jeep. The weather changes daily, or so it seems, but we have tons of closet space and we came prepared. I have Coach Net coverage as well as AAA RV Plus. Get a flat I just make a call. Enjoy your trip. It's all about the journey and not the destination to us. You get tired, pull over at a rest area and grab a bite to eat, or 30 minutes of shut eye. The wife walks the dog and the generator keeps everyone cool. I stop for gas when we hit just under a half tank, check my oil and tranny stretch out a bit and hit the road. I don't like parking at Walmart so I have my MH parks reserved ahead of time. Enjoy your trip and let us know how it goes. Make notes to yourself. Things I should have taken and things I took too much of. Above all, have fun. That's what this is all about.

'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote