Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #1

I'm a dumb newbie wanting a class A .Help me.

I'm looking at the 100k range. We have been dragging a toy hauler and realize we love the lifestyle. We hate airports and hotels. I'm looking at older Newells, Prevosts, Bluebirds, Foretravels,Country coaches,and can only get slides in the bb and foretravel and cc at that price.
Question- would you get a 4 slide holiday rambler or Newmar over the forementioned. There will only be 2 of us 95% of the time.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
We are two, most of the time, as well. We bought a 1999 National Tradewinds (36.6 foot) this year, 1 slide and find it plenty roomy and paid less than half of your budget. Good solid coach.

You should not have any problems finding something that you like. Condition, all manuals and maintenance records and a layout you like are more important than investment.

For me, the spacious counterspace of our coach was the deciding factor. Size of a shower might be something to consider. Ours had a washer-dryer, not something I considered important...but it has proven to be helpful.

We will all be interested in your adventure, keep us posted

JoAnn

Old 08-05-2012, 10:16 PM   #3

Your mentioned budget will not get you much of a blue bird or Foretravel with slides. I have a Country Coach. Very good motor homes. I would not buy a four slide out motor home of any kind. Slides in the front on the passenger side are disadvantage unless you have large groups of people in your motor home all the time. They block both your patio and getting into the basement. Things you do all the time. We looked at some Country Coaches with 4 slides that might be as low as you are looking to spend in the Allure lines. This year I have had to replace seals on both slides. If you have four slides and have to replace all the seals you are looking at 10-13,000 dollars. We went 42' so we could have one side of the coach slide free and still have tons of room. After three years I still like that decision.

Newall is a very high end coach. I don't think you can get a good one with slides for your budget.

I have two friends with Holiday Ramblers. Good coaches. Not as good as CC, but very good. They are owned by Monaco. Newmar is a very fine maker. As with Holiday, not quite up to the quality of a CC, but still very good. The Dutch Star is a fine motor home.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #4
laj

Agree with what BBob said. Be sure and have an allowance for slide resealing. I had mine redone along with roof, glad i didn't have four. Cc is a great coach. Have you looked at any Beavers? That was the other one I was considering.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:42 AM   #5

I would add American Eagle to your 2-slide list, but you will come in way under your budget and have an excellent coach as long as it has been well looked after.

But, I am not objective...just very pleased with our Eagle.

DaveS
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
Old 08-06-2012, 07:15 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The used market is great. However, those older coaches can require some expensive maintenance. No point in buying a $50k MH that needs a $25k motor or a $10k tranny. Ours has need a few engine sensors and other odd repair. I think you may have trouble finding a Newell or Prevost in that range that doesn't need a lot of TLC $. If your budget were closer to $200k you'd be in the target range. Water seepage and slide repair can get expensive quick. We bought a one slide on purpose and are very pleased. We won't buy a 4 slide either, as mentioned. If we upgrade it will be for a 2 slide or perhaps one of the American Coach full wall slide with three.

That said $100k buys a lot of very nice older MH.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:11 AM   #7

You can buy a lot of motorhome on your budget, and still get slides in a mid level model. We owned a 40 ft. Fleetwood Revolution, 2002 year, and it had two slides and plenty of power. You can find somewhat newer units within your budget that have three slides and either Cat or Cummins power. Same for Newmar Dutch Star. this would place you in the 10 year old range and in a low mileage, one owner model. Something to consider.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:41 AM   #8

This is a very hard answer without being biased. We have had four American Coach's with no trouble with the Coach, some with the components like Nocold. We chose a four slide for the room. Yes it can take up a little of the area under the awning but you don't have to put that slide out. It's nice to have the option though. Just because you have four slides, doesn't mean you have to use four slides.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #9

Saw a 2003 Holiday Rambler Navigator with the one piece wind shield. Iv'e heard some of those can break. Any info on that model. I'm looking at a Country Coach, no slides though.
A Newell, no slides. A clean Foretravel no slides. All are in my range. There are a bunch of cheesy Prevosts with pink and purple and disco balls in that range. No Thanks. There was a Prevost Beaver that was nice and a little over 100k- but has the 8v which I was told is a no no. I'm not sure why as they were used in buses for years.
Any way, I want to thank you all and appreciate all input. Keep it coming. I'll post what happens.
Oh, would you prefer an all electric coach and why- thanks
Old 08-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodentreaper
Saw a 2003 Holiday Rambler Navigator with the one piece wind shield. Iv'e heard some of those can break. Any info on that model. I'm looking at a Country Coach, no slides though.
A Newell, no slides. A clean Foretravel no slides. All are in my range. There are a bunch of cheesy Prevosts with pink and purple and disco balls in that range. No Thanks. There was a Prevost Beaver that was nice and a little over 100k- but has the 8v which I was told is a no no. I'm not sure why as they were used in buses for years.
Any way, I want to thank you all and appreciate all input. Keep it coming. I'll post what happens.
My wife and I bought the twin of the Navigator in '06 as a coach to full time in. We moved into it in the spring of '07 when our house sold and we have been completely happy with our coach. Since we moved in, we have spent 6 nights somewhere besides our coach. It has been virtually trouble free for about 50,000 miles including a trip to Alaska. I can attest that the windshield is not prone to breakage. The Navigator is built on Monaco's S Series semi monocoque chassis which is extremely strong and roadworthy. If this '03 has been well maintained then it would be an outstanding coach for you.
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
My wife and I bought the twin of the Navigator in '06 as a coach to full time in. We moved into it in the spring of '07 when our house sold and we have been completely happy with our coach. Since we moved in, we have spent 6 nights somewhere besides our coach. It has been virtually trouble free for about 50,000 miles including a trip to Alaska. I can attest that the windshield is not prone to breakage. The Navigator is built on Monaco's S Series semi monocoque chassis which is extremely strong and roadworthy. If this '03 has been well maintained then it would be an outstanding coach for you.
Great knowledge to have, thanks. I will seriously consider this one.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #12

I've got a shot at an 06 Newmar Ventana low miles and way under budget- want to go look at it.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I too would encourage you to look at a Monaco on the S-Series chassis. The semi-monocoque design is very solid and handles extremely well. I just have a little 40 footer with the Cummins ISL (weighing in @ 36k pounds) and tow a 26' Haulmark Edge trailer (weighing just over 12k pounds) and it does well for that much weight. If planning on much more weight than that I would lean towards and ISM or ISX engine with the accompanying Allison 4000 trans.

FYI, when we were looking I also was looking closely at the Country Coach Magna and Affinity as they too have a semi-monocoque style chassis and a very well built coach.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #14

Man, I was not impressed with the ventana. I guess I may be unrealistic or I need to spend more dough.

Tags