Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2015, 09:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
If you full time, the 40-42' size is the sweet spot, in my opinion. By sure to look through literature carefully. Some coaches that appear well suited to full time state that the coach is not for full time use or similar wording.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
I just looked at the owner manual for a 2015 Dutch Star and on page 15 it says:

E.
Responsible Use. Your vehicle is designed to be used for recreational or temporary living
purposes. It is not designed to be used as a full-time residence or for commercial use.
Commercial use means using as a business asset such as a mobile office or using the vehicle

for lease/rental purposes.

I read lots of people are full timing in a Dutch Star, do they say that just for liabilty. What brands actually say you can full time in them?

G-JLD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2015, 11:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-JLD9 View Post

E.
Responsible Use. Your vehicle is designed to be used for recreational or temporary living
purposes. It is not designed to be used as a full-time residence or for commercial use.
Commercial use means using as a business asset such as a mobile office or using the vehicle

I read lots of people are full timing in a Dutch Star, do they say that just for liabilty. What brands actually say you can full time in them?

I don't know how widespread this caveat has become. Check out the owners manual for the Essex & above & see if the same language is present. I do understand that lawyers are responsible for many disclaimers but I can't understand why a well designed and executed coach would need this wording. I agree that many Dutchstars are used as full time coaches. Sounds like a good question for Coach builders.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:32 PM   #17

DW and I just went full time a couple months ago. We had been on the hunt for a 42-43 ft Country Coach with a tag to replace our 05 CC Inspire 40 w/o tag. What I ended up with is in my signature. This coach had been ordered with up grades, had several done later and had been meticulously maintained with documentation to prove it. All manuals were in binders. Every receipt was alphabetized in a 3 ring binders. As a pilot, maintenance records are worth their weight in gold. We spent a few weeks in Texas after leaving Motorhomes of Texas and are now in South Fork Colorado enjoying some cool weather. We could not be happier with our choice. By the way this coach did not have the 1 1/2 bath and I think we have more usable space because of that. Good luck on your hunt.

2007 Monaco Executive 45' 525 ISX
Old 08-05-2015, 03:03 PM   #18

G-JLD9, Not only does the bath and a half take extra room you have to use a macerator to flush. I understand from reading on this site that it uses a lot if water and there fore dumping is way more frequent. This is hearsay only as I do not have a bath and a half or a macerator. You might want to check this out.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
Old 08-05-2015, 03:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by allynne View Post
G-JLD9, Not only does the bath and a half take extra room you have to use a macerator to flush. I understand from reading on this site that it uses a lot if water and there fore dumping is way more frequent. This is hearsay only as I do not have a bath and a half or a macerator. You might want to check this out.

Al Sawyer
'05 Mt. Aire
Ok, I will do some research on this. Thanks
Old 08-05-2015, 06:43 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Im in love with the Dutch Star but know I need to look at other

Quote:
.....Your vehicle is designed to be used for recreational or temporary living purposes. It is not designed to be used as a full-time residence.............

Sounds a lot like lawyer talk to me. I really don't know what Newmar is putting in the new ones in terms of behind the curtain quality. My '02 DS has been used as a fulltimer coach by three different owners since new. Still doing fine, and I can see us rolling for another ten, anyway.

I think the Legal Dept specifically tags fulltiming as a not approved use because the opposite would create a liability. If Newmar (or any mfgr) pointedly stated that their product was designed and intended for full time use, there could be an implied warranty created in excess of their express one-year written warranty.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS 40, FL, 3126, '04 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:10 PM   #21

I think it so they do not open themselves up to being liable for cost incurred do to the loss of your primary residence while it's in the shop.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:24 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramets View Post
12% off MSRP? What a joke. Don't get caught up in the flash & sizzle as I like to call it. Flashy paint jobs & interiors don't get you down the hiway, nor do they guarantee good workmanship. Look below the surface. When we spend the winter in FL. we usually go to the super show in Tampa. Whenever I pull out a drawer I usually find plastic slides & staples, and flimsy drawer bottoms. Not to mention wood veneers, and plastic everywhere. Although we talk about getting a new coach, usually after leaving the show we say the same thing. Why? I believe our 15yr. old Dutch Star is better built, and with a real wood interior, than the newer ones. Take a deep breath, and maybe consider a quality used coach. But in the end it's your decision to make.
Yep, won't find that stuff in a Dutch Star. Although in 2000 and 2002 you had to upgrade to the hardwood interior to get away from the veneer which we did with both of ours.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:25 PM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

E.

Our '02 DSDP manual said pretty much the same thing.

I'd have to re-read our CC manual but I don't remember seeing it said either way. Nope, can't find a thing like the above in our manual.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:27 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Love the side radiator on my 2000 Dutch Star. Sure makes it simple to access the belts and other engine components. I suppose the downfall of a side radiator is that it takes away space for another storage compartment, which I'm willing to accept.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:55 PM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, takes me longer to find the ˝" breaker bar than to do the belt change.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:41 AM   #26

When we were looking at the Ventana that had the rear radiator I could not see any filters or belts, really couldn't see anything until I crawled under it.

Then went over to the Dutch Star that was right next to it and I could see and touch almost everything. I didn't know my husband took this pic till we got home. He said I was back there forever talking about how much we need a side radiator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DS engine.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	302.2 KB
ID:	102236  
Old 08-06-2015, 08:49 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal1phx View Post
Well, take your time & enjoy the adventure ...
Don't get stuck on one make/model too early .... look at everything out there ...
Your right, I shouldnt get stuck on one make/model too early. Right now I call very thing the Dutch Star fund, or were are going to go here in the Dutch Star. I need to call it the Pusher fund and look at everything along the way. Going to the a big RV show with a lot of brands in one spot is going to help a lot to compare.

I would be fine with a well cared for 10 year old coach( I like that price range), but Gary likes all the new looking interiors and nice paint jobs. He said we have been living our whole life saving and not buying new stuff, just fixing everything ourselves and now is time to have something we love. So he really wants just 4-5 years old. At least we both agreed thats cool if we have the funds at the time, so saving more money is the main focuse now.

Looking sure is fun!
Old 10-03-2015, 10:37 AM   #28

Quote:
The thing we like most about the bath & 1/2 is the big bathroom is in the rear of the coach. Like its a ensuite and you do not have to walk through a bathroom to get to the front of the coach. But I see how it can be wasted space, because we really only need on bathroom for just us.

The Tiffin Allegro Bus 37AP and 40AP and Phaeton 40 AH have a single larger bath that seems to be a good alternative to 1.5 baths.

The American Allegiance 39A also has a similar floor plan.

We've been in the Tiffin ones and they feel livable and spacious even at 37 and 40 feet.

The down side is that without a tag, the cargo carrying capacity might be bit of a challenge.

Tags
dutch star