Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2015, 11:18 AM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A lot of good info from many sides. I just bought my first RV and will be a part timer for awhile still (full time in 4-5 years is the plan). I spent a ton of time on forums and internet searches, went to at least 6 plus dealers in the OKla and surrounding states. Although I bought a Gas Coach and am very happy with my choice, I elected new over used at this time and will look at trading up to a diesel if I go full time. One thing I would consider is the coach length. You will find many limitations on camping in both RV parks and State parks when you go over 40 feet. I never expected this and even most parks that have "big Rig" spots only have a limited number as apposed to the less than 40 slabs. Just a thought and I only know of one manufacturer that includes a tag axel on a 40 foot coach, most you have to go to 42plus to get the tag axel. Of course you can always ask the manufacturer if one can be added in a factory custom order but that will cost you. Best of luck!!!

Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2015, 11:35 AM   #30

Our son had a 2015 Mountain Aire and we have a 2013 Allegro Bus. I liked some thing about his coach and the DW liked our Bus. At the FMCA show in Madison, WI this summer, we looked at the Dutch Star. I liked the steerable tag, emergency exit door, and have heard good things about the comfort Drive. However, when we looked closer inside, it did not have the amount of storage that our AB has. The quality was good and similar to ours. Our son traded his 2015 for a new MA. The Quality Control at Newmar is not what it used to be. His fresh water tank leaked where they tried to patch it instead of replacing it. (They are sending him one for him to replace) The counter tops and some cabinets are not mounted level or square. The full slide out floor is not level. A couple of days ago the inverter failed. That was not a Newmar problem, and they finally sent him a replacement which he installed himself. These are the things I can think of and he will have to take the coach back to the factory to correct the issues. It had a glowing final inspection from Newmar and the dealer, but all of the problems went through. Upon inspection, the dealer found that the 2016 MA's on his lot all had the same issues. We have decided that we like our trouble free Tiffin just the way it is.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:58 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
I don't know these coaches, but be sure to try out the floorplan with the slides IN. Some are kind of crazy and not practical when in, and that can be a problem.
I was amazed at how tight some of them are with couches on bath sides and the slide in. Lucky if there's a 10 inch walkway to get to the kitchen or bathroom.
Old 10-04-2015, 11:30 AM   #32

I have a rear radiator road master (RR4R) chassis for 7 year with no issues at all traveling through Nevada/Utah fully loaded and towing I would lot let the radiator discussion stop me if I liked the mh

Mike
Old 10-05-2015, 05:23 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyle908 View Post
I have a rear radiator road master (RR4R) chassis for 7 year with no issues at all traveling through Nevada/Utah fully loaded and towing I would lot let the radiator discussion stop me if I liked the mh

Mike
If I found a MH we loved at a great price that had a rear radiator I would not rule it completely out. But because I will do my own maintenance I really want a side radiator. I just love the fact that a side radiator makes it much easier to see and touch stuff for daily checks.
G-JLD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:12 PM   #34

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
We are looking to buy in 2017. Looking at the 40 ft. Models, I want tag and so far have only found it on Entegra and Newmar. So far Dutch Star is winning because we are buying new and with Newmar it's as close to a custom coach as you can get. We love both the 4002 and 4018.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:24 PM   #35

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2016 Ventana LE 4002 and love the Comfort Drive and floor plan. We travel with at least one of our children and everyone is 6'1"+ in height so the queen sleeper is a definite must. Our daughter gets the half bath and the DW and I enjoy having a bathroom without leaving the bedroom at night.

Coming from a Ford V10 gasser, the CD is a dream! I just took a 500 mile round trip and could have done 500 miles in a day without fatigue.
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 10:16 PM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by unw1red View Post
Coming from a Ford V10 gasser, the CD is a dream! I just took a 500 mile round trip and could have done 500 miles in a day without fatigue.
I just came from a 34' v10 gasser to a 2015 Newmar Dutch Star 4018......night and day. It's so much more enjoyable driving a tag axle with Comfort Drive. I'm leaving SoCal for Moab this Saturday and I'm looking forward to the drive.
Zoey and Shelby (Pembroke Welsh Corgis)
tomakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:06 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicia Tom View Post
We are looking to buy in 2017. Looking at the 40 ft. Models, I want tag and so far have only found it on Entegra and Newmar. So far Dutch Star is winning because we are buying new and with Newmar it's as close to a custom coach as you can get. We love both the 4002 and 4018.
Benicia Tom are you going to do the factory delivery if you go with a Dutch Star? I have been reading how great it is and if we buy a new Dutch Star we are definitely going to do the factory delivery.
G-JLD9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:59 PM   #38

National RV Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-JLD9 View Post
Benicia Tom are you going to do the factory delivery if you go with a Dutch Star? I have been reading how great it is and if we buy a new Dutch Star we are definitely going to do the factory delivery.
Yes, we will be doing factory delivery. We would like a late April delivery to avoid road salt.
Old 10-10-2015, 09:21 AM   #39

Great place to be, and fun with just a dash of stress, when looking for your long term coach! If you decide to go the used route, it opens up not only great economic savings, but a vast amount of quality built coaches that are no longer available today. Don't be afraid to drop years to obtain a higher quality coach, as long as it has been properly maintained. IMO, and older higher quality coach, can be the best bang for the buck.

Foretravel - U270 thru U320
Monaco - Dynasty thru Signature
Newmar you already know well
Travel Supreme
Alpine
Country Coaches
Wanderloge

Those are just a few brands that could serve you well, and yes, Foretravel is still building great coaches, it was those models that were on our target list when we were shopping, so I mentioned them.

I know of this County Coach, by a board member here and also on Escapees, that is a solid coach.

Country Coach Magna for sale - Page 3 - RVs, Tows, and Toads for Sale - Escapees Discussion Forum

That's a well maintained and cared for coach, and definitely has decades of good usage ahead of it. Just as one example.

I usually recommend what others have said in various posts. Go kick lots of tires, checking out coaches. Make a list of Must Have's and Nice to Have's, that you can then use to narrow down your make and model and year target coaches. Then go shopping. If buying used, don't get to hung up on paying up a bit, for a coach with outstanding documented care, as a savings of $10, $15, or even $20K+ - for a coach without documented good care, could actually be a way more expensive coach in the long run.

Best to you,
Smitty
Old 10-11-2015, 04:56 PM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
Tiffin makes a 40QBH Phaeton with bath and a half as well as a 42LH Phaeton with bath and a half and tag. Both could be purchased under $300k out the door after discount.

Tags
dutch star