Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-13-2016, 04:30 PM   #29
Simply "plugging tires" is no longer recomended by the manufactures.

The plug could leak internally and migrate thru the layers of the tire.

They actually recommend a patch and plug combo. Keep the air in and dirt out.
From the RMA,

Knowing the difference between a proper tire repair and an improper tire repair could be critical to vehicle safety. An improper tire repair could pose a safety hazard to you and your family and could also affect a tire manufacturer’s warranty.

One key process in a proper tire repair is removing a tire from the wheel to inspect any damage that may occur to the inner liner of the tire.

RMA offers tire dealers and automotive repair outlets a detailed wall-chart for proper tire repairs. Among the criteria to perform a proper repair are:[http://www]

Repairs are limited to the*tread area onlyPuncture injury cannot be greater than*1/4 inch*(6mm) in diameterRepairs must be performed by*removing the tire from the rim/wheel*assembly to perform a complete inspection to assess all damage that may be presentRepairs*cannot overlapA rubber stem, or plug, must be applied to fill the puncture injury and a patch must be applied to*seal the inner liner. A common repair unit is a one-piece unit with a stem and patch portion.*A plug by itself is an unacceptable repair

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2016, 04:57 PM   #30
American Coach Owners Club
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
Looking at the location, I would have plugged it. Not patch it but plug it. If you do not carry a plug kit in your vehicle you should. Any higher up on the sidewall and it would not have worked but the location it was in would have not been a problem. If concerned, plug it, and use as a spare.
Seriously ! You would run a plugged tire on your Motor Home ?
I'm in all that one would even consider that! At All !
What are you thinking ?

Brownsburg Indiana
1992 American Eagle
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 05:44 PM   #31
Freightliner Owners Club
Not necessarily intentional, my neighbor just found one in roughly the same location upon arriving home - no stops and cleat tire inspection before departure.
2012 Sportscoach Cross Country 385 DS Freightliner XCR w/ Cummins ISB 6.7L 340 hp
2009 Saturn Vue, Blue Ox Alpha, RVi Brake 2
mvpmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:00 PM   #32
Entegra Owners Club
Congratulations, Count, you did the smart thing.

Marc and Jill, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote