Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2018, 01:38 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm too chicken to become a "Full Timer"

The thought of it is exciting, It all sounds awesome, the open road, freedom to do whatever you want, no lawns to mow, that liberating feeling. Personally I think it takes a lot of courage to sell your home and most of your stuff. Some folks may have had no choice and I know a few, however for those who where perfectly comfortable in life, had a nice home (no Mortgage) a chunk of property and a place to call home. What was it like to make that transition? Were you chicken at first? (This isn't about regrets) Do you have a plan to go back to a fixed home after a FT life style? I still get a big smile when I drive my motorhome into my driveway after a trip, does anyone miss that?

Full time RVers are the only ones that can offer true answers: They had the courage to make the decision, do the transition and now have the experience.
Bounder28T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2018, 01:47 PM   #2

We are enjoying fulltime RVing .
We are also workampers, we once had a decent Retirement savings , but it got gobbled up in the recession. We were never really able to recover & frankly I was really burnt out on that fight . Fulltiming was something we had planned for sometime , finally we had both had enough & said why wait ? So we can loose it all again ? So here we are . A newer rig would be nice , & the funds to travel more often , but we sure do like this a lot more than the old grind . We don’t regret leaving that behind .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:54 PM   #3

I retired at 50 yrs old....4 yrs later she retired at 50 yrs old

Bought a new truck and 5th wheel.
Sold EVERYTHING via an Estate Sale.......easiest means to get rid of houseful of STUFF
Sold the House and off we went.

We meandered all over the USA using secondary/back roads exploring Small Town USA for 7 yrs.
Then Life threw a curve ball and we had to come off the road/back into a S&B

We had an 'EXIT PLAN' just in case
We had to execute it SOONER then we had hoped BUT that was what is was for.

We still miss the FT traveling/adventure/lifestyle but onto the new phase in our life travels.

Selling everything/going FT was LIBERATING ----REFRESHING -----EXHILARATING
And a tiny bit scary at first but that passed within a few weeks when we 'Declared Saudokoda' as our domicile and got new Driver's Licenses.
Then we were a couple of vagabonds free to travel where/when we saw fit to do so.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 01:58 PM   #4

If you don't have a plan to get off the road you can end up one of those permanently parked travel trailers in the back rows of some campground.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:23 PM   #5

We retired at age 55 with a plan to full time for 10-15 years. We sold our house to our son, grabbed a few clothes and threw him the keys. Life after full timing will probably be another house or condo and then do the snow bird thing via RV or rented apartment. We both like full timing, but I can't see it being much fun in later life stages.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:26 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Personally I think it takes a lot of courage to sell your home and most of your stuff.
I consider it a transition... When I move into my new home, a box thats 2x3x6 ft, my kids will sell my house and all my stuff, so I may as well enjoy what I have and do what I want before I move into that permanent box, and not burden them with all that stuff.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:30 PM   #7

For most selling a house to buy a RV is not a wise move. Your house will appreciate with time where the RV depreciates as soon as you title it. I can't bring myself to sell a asset to put it into something that only depreciates.
The way to avoid the financial hit would be to rent the house to make the rv payments, possibly write off the interest as it will be your 2nd home.
The other option is to take out a loan on the SB to pay for the RV.
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder28T View Post
..... I still get a big smile when I drive my motorhome into my driveway after a trip, does anyone miss that?
Well, since I'm not a FT'er I won't comment on that..BUT...I get a BIG SMILE when I LEAVE my driveway and sigh when I pull back in....so..hopefully ONE DAY I'll be able to answer you question.

I'll be hanging around to see what other folks say tho. Good luck!
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret.LEO View Post
For most selling a house to buy a RV is not a wise move. Your house will appreciate with time where the RV depreciates as soon as you title it. I can't bring myself to sell a asset to put it into something that only depreciates.

The way to avoid the financial hit would be to rent the house to make the rv payments, possibly write off the interest as it will be your 2nd home.

The other option is to take out a loan on the SB to pay for the RV.

The house SHOULD appreciate with time .
We lost our butts . Also some folks don’t own a home , or want to own a home .
Old 12-11-2018, 02:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
I consider it a transition... When I move into my new home, a box thats 2x3x6 ft, my kids will sell my house and all my stuff, so I may as well enjoy what I have and do what I want before I move into that permanent box, and not burden them with all that stuff.
That's TERRIBLE! (...when I move into my NEW home...2x3x6)...hopefully that's not for a long LONG TIME from now!! Besides, you need to stick around to continue to help all of us with our repairs...your site is an awesome resource for us folks with F53 chassis. So NO MOVING!
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 02:58 PM   #11

Sell everything and dump it into a Rv? If you die early or have a ton of money you will be fine. What if you live a long life and need a nursing home for about 5 grand a month. So worry and some don’t think about tomorrow to each there own.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
Sell everything and dump it into a Rv? If you die early or have a ton of money you will be fine. What if you live a long life and need a nursing home for about 5 grand a month. So worry and some don’t think about tomorrow to each there own.

I know of at least a few people , 4 come to mind who had that mindset , never really did anything but work .... & then they died
Old 12-11-2018, 03:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepside454 View Post
I know of at least a few people , 4 come to mind who had that mindset , never really did anything but work .... & then they died

Life is full of what if’s, no two people are alike. My father passed away in October at age 87 he retired at 50 and played golf twice a week at his country club AAC. Played his last game 4 weeks before he passed a perfect life.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:33 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
If you don't have a plan to get off the road you can end up one of those permanently parked travel trailers in the back rows of some campground.
Interesting point, thank you. I don't know anyone in that situation, however I know it has happened based on what I have seen.

If I every sold my home, all of money from that sale would be safely invested to hopefully prevent that situation.
Bounder28T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, full timer