Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2016, 06:35 PM   #1
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
I'm too fat?!?

During the iRV2 Rally, I got a chance to check out a floorplan I've been eyeing for our next coach. Many mfr's have this floorplan (shown below) in their lineup so it must be popular. Anyway, I got to see it with the slides in & OH MY...there was no way I was going to get to the bedroom with the slides retracted. I measured the space...it was 6.5" 6.5"!!!!! I wasn't even skinny enough to fit through that when I was 10.

Now I didn't think I was fat, until I tried to squeeze through that hall opening. And you can't go through the bathroom because the end of the bedroom slide blocks that when closed. Now we don't overnight at WM or rest stops that often, but when we do, I need to get to the dang bed!

Lori-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Floorplan.JPG
Views:	660
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	139775  
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2016, 06:49 PM   #2

It shrunk in the wash!
Old 09-23-2016, 07:00 PM   #3

Since I had this class A popped into my life my wife and and I have have spent a great deal of time watching shows and shopping lots. (we have several of them around me) We had never really seriously considered a RV till retired till this opportunity found us.

What I have found is that there is a rig for everyone and every use... but not all rigs are for everyone or every use. What makes a rig suck for you and your use is great for another. Deep slides, the ones approaching 4', make the rig really big when your parked. But suck when driving. If tailgating is your thing, or its just you or you and a partner... maybe its not a big thing.

One thing I have not figured out yet is why they do not make the slides on a pull behind or 5th wheel all at a full 4' slide. Its not like you have to worry about moving around the unit when they are in... your driving.
imob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:25 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
What's 6.5" ? The width of the hallway going walking directly back to the bed before you climb on it? Between the refrig and the bathroom door.....certainly looks wider than 6".
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:44 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
......certainly looks wider than 6".
Not with the curb slide retracted it isn't.

Lori-
Old 09-23-2016, 07:45 PM   #6

I'm too fat?!?

NLOVNIT, just move along and don't give up, and never capitulate. We found one we love that works folded up. Your turn!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 10:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by imob View Post
What I have found is that there is a rig for everyone and every use... but not all rigs are for everyone or every use..
Totally agree with this statement. For me... I could live with the floorplan in mention because you can still access the bathroom, fridge and kitchen sink while on the road. For me, all that space from those four slides when situated make the compromise worthwhile. That said, what I don't like about that floorplan is the location of the lounge TV. So many floorpans have TV's located where you must watch with your head turned which gets very old. Cab seats are straight on viewing but I'd rather sit on a sofa or lounger.
If I was stopped for the night at WM with this floorplan I would not hesitate to put a bedroom slide out.

Anyway, imob said it best... "there is a rig for everyone and every use... but not all rigs are for everyone or every use."

cheers,
Joopy

EDIT: noticed that the floorplan does have an optional L-shape some which would provide good TV viewing.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:49 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
NLOVINIT, not sure I understand why you can't use slides at WM? We don't hesitate to open ours wherever we are staying for the night. We don't set up the BBQ and the chairs or put out the big awning, but don't hesitate to open the slides.

Cheers,
Old 09-24-2016, 01:38 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fleetwood Discovery 2015

If you drive 7500 miles a year that is only 2% of the time you have that RV. We have 3 slides, the opposite 2 still allow us to walk to the 1/2 bath and get to the frig. Before you buy check floor plan with slides in and out.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:22 AM   #10

We prefer to have full comfortable access to nearly everything in the motorhome while underway. Not having to squeeze through a passageway or wait to open a compartment when the slides are out was a prerequisite. Granted the deep slides are nice, but for us it was a compromise.

If we are not in an rv park or boon docking, we do not open the slides. I am concerned about someone hitting them or a pedestrian walking into them in public areas. Also, I figure if a slide motor is going to fail, it is going to fail somewhere where it is inconvenient to fix, never in the comfort of a campground.
Old 09-24-2016, 04:43 AM   #11

After owning a TT which didn't allow access to the bedroom or bathroom without going outside and in the other door when the slides were in, we too made it requirement for any coach we purchased to be FULLY usable with the slides in! It was personal preference, but we stuck to it. Sure glad we did. We have a coach we love, which we can use fully when the slides are in, and off we go!

On putting the slides out at Walmart, etc. We don't hesitate to put the bedroom slide out, but we generally park so the slide overhangs a grass median between parking lanes to avoid the possibility of someone hitting it. About the only time we DON'T extend the bedroom slide is in a truck stop or rest area . . .

On the comment about the slide failing when it's most inconvenient . . . . I also am extremely concerned that a meteor will fall from the sky and crush my RV . . . . The slide is there to be used, USE IT!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:03 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I bet many folks don't check the clearance with the slides in before purchase!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 09:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
On the comment about the slide failing when it's most inconvenient . . . . I also am extremely concerned that a meteor will fall from the sky and crush my RV . . . . The slide is there to be used, USE IT!
I know, I know, but if the meteor hits it, I won't be stuck working on it in a parking lot. Besides the bed is the same size either way
Old 09-24-2016, 08:36 PM   #14
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcovey View Post
NLOVINIT, not sure I understand why you can't use slides at WM..
If we can get a spot next to the parking lot edge, we'll deploy the slide that cantilevers over the grass. But if not, it's common courtesy (as well as slide preservation with all those truckers coming in/out during the night) to not deploy slides that may protrude into a aisle right of way.

Lori-