Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2014, 05:53 PM   #1

Important stuff- The Grill..

The wife and I just bought our first motorhome. It's a 98 Itasca Sunrise. I imagine we'll update/upgrade or just change once we figure out what we like and what we don't, but this will be our second home for at least a year of weekends and holidays.

We got a good deal on this fixer upper of a motorhome, even after the 6 grand we sunk in it afterwards and we're ready to hit the road next week for our first trip. As yet though, I haven't figured out one of the most important things. The grill. Obviously, the Big Green Egg can't come with us. Does anybody have any advice on a good portable grill or smoker?

If I put this in the wrong place, I apologize. I'm new here.
Virgil Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2014, 06:00 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Howdy and welcome. I just have to ask...did you serve on the Danville train?? Let's see some pics of the new RV!!

We carry a small charcoal grill with us, but many times use the grills in the campgrounds.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:06 PM   #3

Well I did it cheaply, till I decide to up grade. Just got small Weber. I think it's 18" Dia. Round. I use two bungy cords to keep it closed and keep it in a garbage bag. I also use a metal starter chimney, the kind you add coals and a few news paper pages under to get the coals started. Works for us.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:16 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Went to Lowes and spent $25 on a small (6 hamburger pattie) grill. It uses small throw-away propane bottles. One bottle cooks many hamburgers. Will have to throw it away after 4-5 years, but will have gotten our money's worth.
ruffian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:39 PM   #5

We have two on board; propane we hook to the coach and 18" Webber charcoal. I can't remember the last time we used the propane as we love the Webber so much! Spend an extra $10 and purchase a charcoal chimney to start the charcoal!
Old 03-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I went with the O-grill from camping world. I like the way it stores. Bought the extended protection as well since I had a discount coupon and it was on sale as well. Was close to buying one of the weber q's and have several friends who really like them.
Old 03-08-2014, 06:44 PM   #7

I still have some more work to do before picture time and despite my name I've never been on a train. We're Band fan's though!

Sounds like the little Weber might be the ticket. I've had a big Weber charcoal grill before and it was pretty awesome.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 03-08-2014, 06:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoHillbilly View Post
I went with the O-grill from camping world. I like the way it stores. Bought the extended protection as well since I had a discount coupon and it was on sale as well. Was close to buying one of the weber q's and have several friends who really like them.
Hmm. I'd never heard of the O Grill. It looks promising too. I'd have to learn how to cook with gas again, but sometimes quicker is better, right?

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2014, 06:51 PM   #9

You know they have a mini green egg, travel size. Don't know the price.
hoss1045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:52 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
We use the small Weber
Weber Weber 516501 Q 120 Gas Grill
Okrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:59 PM   #11

[QUOTE=hoss1045;1959788]You know they have a mini green egg, travel size. Don't know the price.[/QUOTE

I thought about that too. It's about $600 for a 10" smoker. It weighs about 40 lbs. We might wind up with that eventually, but until we figure some things out it might be a tad unweildy.

I love the Egg though.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:08 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We have the 18" Webber charcoal,and the Q-100 propane.Both work great for us and would buy again.Happy Grilling
whitetop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 07:15 PM   #13

I just bought the Weber Jumbo Joe.

Amazon.com: Weber 1211001 Jumbo Joe Gold Charcoal Grill, 18-Inch: Patio, Lawn & Garden

I should probably go ahead and get a propane grill too, just for the convenience of it.

Thanks all!
Old 03-08-2014, 07:25 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Full disclaimer here, I am a grill snob. Have a Green Egg at the S&B, and will never have anything else (at least in a permanent location). I have the Weber Q-200 in the RV and, frankly, I am underwhelmed. I have trouble getting all the outlets in the ring to light, and then it seems I cannot get the grill as hot as I would like it. However, it is adequate for what I use it for and doesn't take up a ton of space.
There is at least one guy on here who has a Traeger pellet smoker that he travels with. Maybe he'll chime in. I'm not sure you can do a high-temperature sear with that, though.
jeffwit is offline   Reply With Quote