Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #15

When we got our 2005 HR I found out the hard way that the headlights were useless. After we got home I checked the voltage at the bulb (put both meter probs on the bulb socket with the bulb on) and found I only had 9.5 volts. After trying a few things that didn't help much I installed relays and better ground wires. WOW what a difference. The lights work great now.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2012, 07:11 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After reading this thread last month, and talking back & forth with Fred Cooper via PM's, I decided I was gong to install HID's on my coach. I had tried Sylvania Ultrastar bulbs and saw some improvement, but not as much as I had hoped for. I finally got around to installing the HID's today.

Below is a photo that shows the difference between the factory halogen and the HID's. For this photo, I replaced the Ultrastar bulb that had been on the passenger side with the original factory halogen bulb, as that is what most people still have on their coach. I haven't driven at night yet, so I can't tell you how much better they light up the road, but I am sure there will be a big improvement. I ordered my system from a company that allows you to select the type of HID bulb that you want. I didn't want a rice racer looking blue, but a pure bright white, so I went with a 6000K bulb.

My only concern at this point will be if they are too bright. The last thing I want is to blind other drivers...

Fred, thanks for your help!

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:21 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Eager to hear how they work at night. HIDs are my next upgrade.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:32 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee
Eager to hear how they work at night. HIDs are my next upgrade.
Just took a short night drive. The difference is amazing. The HID beam on the driver's side extended at least 20 feet further down the road than stock halogen on the passenger side did, which was EXACTLY the result I was hoping to achieve.

I parked the coach with the lights on and walked ahead to see if the HID side was too bright. They didn't seem over-bright or offensive at all, just a whiter light. No one flashed their high beams at me, so I assume so far, so good.

Great upgrade.

Craig

Old 03-12-2012, 01:16 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Good to hear, I will be doing my lights this week
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig P. View Post
. I ordered my system from a company that allows you to select the type of HID bulb that you want. I didn't want a rice racer looking blue, but a pure bright white, so I went with a 6000K bulb.

Looking at Craig's coach, it appears he has separate bulbs for high and low beam. This will give better results as he can have a separate bulb/system for high beams and low beams. On my coach, the HI/LO beams are combined into one muti-filament bulb originally. The HI/Lo beams in the HID kit uses a electro-magnet to "tilt" the internals in the bulb to change the focus. I got dramatic improvement on the low beams, but the hi beams are not as good. Hi beam is still better than factory stock.

I've looked at changing out the headlight set for some with separate bulbs for high and low, but so far can't convince myself to spend several hundred dollars.

fyi...the ddm tuning site also lets you select your bulb color.

I'm happy it turned out good for you Craig.

Fred
Old 03-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Cooper

I'm happy it turned out good for you Craig.
Thanks Fred.

You are right, my hi/low beams are separate. I chose to only upgrade my low beams. My high beams work pretty well and the low beams are the ones I use the most anyway.

I found another benefit of this upgrade. It's one that I could have done before, it is just easier to do it now. My DRL's (daytime running lights) come on as soon as the parking brake is released. There is no way to turn them off until the parking brake is re-activated. This prevents me from dimming my lights for a passing truck/RV, and won't allow me to dim my lights when maneuvering into a campsite at night. My HID kit, as well as Fred's, included a 12V relay, to give the HID's the power they need to operate. Without this power feed the lights won't work. I am going to install a kill switch inside the cab to turn off my DRL's at will. It will be an easy task now, as I only have to interrupt power to the relay, instead of trying to find the DRL circuit. I will be adding a warning light that will light up when the DRL's are off, in case I forget to turn them back on in the daytime.

Craig

Old 12-31-2012, 02:04 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Part Numbers

Quote:
After reading this thread last month, and talking back & forth with Fred Cooper via PM's, I decided I was gong to install HID's on my coach. I had tried Sylvania Ultrastar bulbs and saw some improvement, but not as much as I had hoped for. I finally got around to installing the HID's today.

Below is a photo that shows the difference between the factory halogen and the HID's. For this photo, I replaced the Ultrastar bulb that had been on the passenger side with the original factory halogen bulb, as that is what most people still have on their coach. I haven't driven at night yet, so I can't tell you how much better they light up the road, but I am sure there will be a big improvement. I ordered my system from a company that allows you to select the type of HID bulb that you want. I didn't want a rice racer looking blue, but a pure bright white, so I went with a 6000K bulb.

My only concern at this point will be if they are too bright. The last thing I want is to blind other drivers...

Fred, thanks for your help!

Craig

Craig,

I have a 2002 Monaco Dynasty with the same head lights. I would like to up grade my head lights do you know the parts numbers and where you bought them from so I can order a set.

Thanks,
Craig McDonald
Old 12-31-2012, 02:46 PM   #23
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
One has to be careful with off road lighting in a domestic RV or for that matter any vehicle. The average wattage is 45W for dim and 65W for brights. Anything else used on public roads is normally considered illegal.

I have used 65W for dim and 85W for brights with good success. The odd time you will get flashed on dim, but if you have your lights adjusted properly, this should minimize affecting on-coming traffic.

Depending on the refraction make up of your light lenses, I found this wattage bright enough and would normally light up onto the side of a mountain in a pass.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:04 AM   #24

I would challenge you to find any LEO that really understands all the current lighting laws, especially today. I've got cops of all ranks in the family and used to camp with an entire department, and none understood the written laws. Their gauge is to identify objectionable lights and write a mechanical violation for others to sort out. A 55W headlight is really an antiquated measurement these days if you think about it as that was an old incandescent measurement. All the various flavors of Halogen, and now HID throw all that out. I'd love to have a 55W LED! That would be on par with a searchlight

All I know is that If I keep the headlights adjusted where they belong I don't get hassled.

I have SilverStar Ultras and they are still far from adequate. I'd love to put in HID's but unless they are pre-aligned to the OEM filament position you will never get them into compliance

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
I would challenge you to find any LEO that really understands all the current lighting laws, especially today. I've got cops of all ranks in the family and used to camp with an entire department, and none understood the written laws.
SCV Jeff,

My guess is none of your family worked traffic. I'm also going to guess that based on where you live, there's a good chance your family members work for the same department I just retired from.

There actually is a California Vehicle Code section that prohibits modifying any of your vehicle's factory lighting equipment, section 26101 (a) C.V.C. I used that section all the time when I ran across rice rockets with super bright low beams and/or hyper blue headlamps. Now, that being said, am I in violation for converting my halogen headlamps over to HID? Yep! But it's a risk I'm willing to take. My lights are not blue or overly bright. 99.99% of LEO's out there won't give me a second look, nor will they have any idea whether or not my Providence's headlamps are factory.

Craig

Old 01-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our Dynasty View Post
Craig,

I have a 2002 Monaco Dynasty with the same head lights. I would like to up grade my head lights do you know the parts numbers and where you bought them from so I can order a set.

Thanks,
Craig McDonald
I would also like to know where you got them, thanks.

Chuck
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Chuck,

I bought my HID's from HIDnation.com

I wasn't exactly sure what I needed, so I emailed them and they were very helpful in helping me put together a system. I didn't want the blue look, so I went with the 6000k bulbs.

Not sure if you read all of my posts on the HID's, but I ran into problems with my DRL's (daytime running lights). I had to disconnect the DRL's to get the HID's to work properly. It was a bit of a hassle.

Craig

Old 01-03-2013, 11:39 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Chuck,

I bought my HID's from HIDnation.com

I wasn't exactly sure what I needed, so I emailed them and they were very helpful in helping me put together a system. I didn't want the blue look, so I went with the 6000k bulbs.

Not sure if you read all of my posts on the HID's, but I ran into problems with my DRL's (daytime running lights). I had to disconnect the DRL's to get the HID's to work properly. It was a bit of a hassle.

Craig
Thanks Craig,
I don't have DRL's, but I do have lousey lights that I am planning to re do.
I have nice clear lenses although the first thing I am going to check is the voltage at the bulb and then go from there.
Chuck

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote