Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2014, 07:05 PM   #15

Agreed. I'm thinking somebody has tinkered with the wiring in the RV.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2014, 07:10 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by maneddi View Post
Agreed. I'm thinking somebody has tinkered with the wiring in the RV.
Seems strange that he'd be able to run the RV with no problems withOUT the surge protector if the RV wiring was faulty...

Definitely need a meter.

Jim
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:59 AM   #17

Reversed wiring could still work.

If the protector is ging nuts it is either bad or trying to tell you something.

Get a meter and check it out or find someone who knows what they are doing to do so.

If you shore cord can reach your breaker panel it can be checked with ohmmeter for proper connection between panel and plug.

Generator off while doing so.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:05 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Let us know the make and model of the surge guard,,, That way I can look up the manual.

Mine, has only two lights, red and green,, When I plug in I get RED. always. For like 160 seconds (The manual tells me the exact time) then ... Ideally.. the red light goes out and the Green POWER ON light comes on.... If the red light stays on.. Well I know know what that means (Had to look it up for another forum member) but it's not dangerous so long as the green light is on.

My Surge guard does not detect problems with the RV. it will with the park and an L-1 or L-2 neutral reversal (either side of the surge guard) would cause some SERIOUS release of magic smoke inside the RV.. Trust me on that.

In fact: I know of a case where it happened... The problem was in a campground where the Power company owned transformer failed, it was properly replaced with a Temp Replacement... Well. the Temp replacement failed (After some improvements in the park feed, Aluminum was replaced with same size copper)

The new transformer.. The kids from the power company did an L-1 or 2 (Which is which does not matter) Neutral reversal.

The result: Half the park got 120 volts (normal) the other half 240 And poop went TV's. Microwaves, Converters and other stuff.. Cost the power company thousands in damages.
Old 05-10-2014, 12:39 PM   #19

surge guard model 44270
Old 05-10-2014, 04:39 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Took a look at the device, First, this is not a surge guard, it is a spike supressor, Does nothing for you in a sustained SURGE or a brown out.. But it does clip spikes and analyze power line issues.

How they are doing the tests they do with only 3 Lights I do not know (must be a bit of logic inside the box) but I'll go after the manual and see if it sheds light. Owner's manual did not help me at all.

First: if it shows good without the RV plugged in then you are likely OK

Second, i'd all the company's tech support and ask they why it shows Polarity Reversal when you plug in the RV,, That should not be possible .
Old 05-10-2014, 04:48 PM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
I think TQ60 had the wisest next step. Drag the end of the shore cord to next to the breaker panel, remove the cover and with a meter match the plug tabs with the breaker panel. If the Surge Guard read good on pedestal, then bad when the cord is plugged in, it sounds like it's telling you where the issue might be. It doesn't take an electrician to figure it out, just a little problem solving.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:35 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Surge Guard

To wa8yxm...Here is what is described as thefunction of this product.

TRC 44270 50 Amp 120V/240V Surge Guard 4200 Joules Portable Surge Protector

Beware of the pedestal! Inconsistent power at RV campsites can cause significant damage to your expensive electronic components. Check out the quality of shoreline power with the Surge Guard Surge Protectors, minimizing potential conditions that can damage equipment.

§ Identifies faulty park power plus offers 4200 Joules of surge protection.
§ Analyzes circuits to verify pedestal power.
§ Indicators illuminate to show power status.
§ Tests for and indicates:
§ Open ground
§ Open neutral
§ Correct polarity

Clamping Voltage

<300 VAC

Maximum Spike Current

6500A per MOV

Voltage Range

90V-140V (50A is each side)

Reverse Polarity Indication

Yes