Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2015, 06:34 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just want to add my 2 cents, Betr2trvl is spot on with his last post. I personally like to be as prepared as possible, our bedroom escape window is above our headboard,I tested the window to make sure it opened, then made a prop stick to hold it open, the prop stick is stowed with velcro below window. I also tested the best placement for the stick so as to not knock the stick out upon exiting. The next thing I purchased a 8.5 ft telescoping ladder at home depot, leaned it against mh below escape window, went inside again tested window,prop stick, and getting out window quickly. I found that I almost knocked over ladder upon exiting, I made a stainless bracket, mounted to mh below escape window to hold top of ladder,drilled hole in top rung of ladder to match hole in bracket, put long shank padlock thru both, now ladder can't fall over. During the day I leave ladder vertically standing up against mh, at end of evening I pull out bottom to safe angle. Nice knowing its there,DW and I practice quick exit 2-4 times a year. Ladder stowes in cargo hold nicely till next time, I am sure it may not work in every instance, but I am sure it will work, half asleep or not,in the middle of the nite,much much better than what the mh builder supplied us with when we bought the unit.......... which was NOTHING.!!! OH, as far as the cats we have yet to figure that one out ,ours just flat out refuses to use the ladder!!!

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2015, 08:34 PM   #30

Sounds like a great idea! Do you have a picture of the attachment bracket that you can show us?
jrwitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:01 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwitt View Post
Sounds like a great idea! Do you have a picture of the attachment bracket that you can show us?
jrwitt, I will take some pics today, will post them for you tonite.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
Old 06-02-2015, 12:07 PM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Escape window

Doing some research on the escape window topic, I Just found out what I though was a headboard over the bed on the new Nexus Bentley is actually a hinged panel that opens to reveal an emergency exit escape window over the bed. Being over the mattress eliminates the need for a ladder to get you to window height from the inside. Pretty clever design. Somebody out there is thinking!
Patti Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:26 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patti Brown View Post
Doing some research on the escape window topic, I Just found out what I though was a headboard over the bed on the new Nexus Bentley is actually a hinged panel that opens to reveal an emergency exit escape window over the bed. Being over the mattress eliminates the need for a ladder to get you to window height from the inside. Pretty clever design. Somebody out there is thinking!
Interesting! No need to make the opening a window either, just a hatch, that could be made fairly large (thinking 5' wide, and 3' or 4' high). If you made it hinged from the bottom, it could even incorporate a ladder into the hatch. You could even do it on a top hinge, the ladder would just pivot down.

The only consideration would be that many RVs have the bed on a slide, so the opening would have to be structurly sound, but that does not seem to be that big of an issue.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 01:09 PM   #34

2016 Newmar

Newmar has added an emergency exit door to its rear bath models. My DW is deathly afraid of fire and this one item alone sold her on the Newmar.

I know this doesn't help older coaches, but it looks like safety is becoming more of a priority.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	emergency exit.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	96031  
Old 06-02-2015, 05:41 PM   #35

Fleetwood Owners Club
JRWITT,

Here are the pics of the bracket and escape ladder that I set up on my motorhome. Pics are not great as it was raining all day.

Name:	IMGP1012.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	96050

Name:	IMGP1013.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	96051

Name:	IMGP1014.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	185.6 KB
ID:	96052

Name:	IMGP1015.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	348.5 KB
ID:	96053

Name:	IMGP1016.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	360.6 KB
ID:	96054

Kudos to Newmar for heading in the right direction for adding an emergency door in their high end coach, seems their engineers could do a tad bit better than climbing over the toilet to use the door, hope the lid is closed!

Have a nice nite everyone

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
Old 06-02-2015, 09:24 PM   #36

National RV Owners Club
I carry a small folding table that I use for outdoor gas grill. I set the table up under the bedroom window making the exit much easier and the drop much shorter.
rebounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:21 PM   #37

Very interesting replies and thread. OK, I went to check that e.window today on the Southwind and it appears to be the awning type hinged at the top but no way to keep it open. No lever or arm - nothing. At least it appears to be top hinged and wont fall off the RV. It was impossible to see up under the shade to where the top of the window is. While I was doing that the damn shade pulled the round thing out of the wall on the bottom right, and the shade would not stay up. It's hanging there half cocked until my husband can fix it. I personally despise these pleated shades in RVs. I would rather heavy curtains for privacy.

We have a H-D and Lowe's near us. I plan to pick up one of those ladders as the drop from the window is so high there is no way anyone who is not slender and agile could go through it, hit the the ground, and not get injured. In any case, I don't plant to sleep back there until the fridge is replaced. I'll sleep on the sofa across from the door.

I don't know what to do about the 4 cats. I saw on a Facebook RV group where a couple put their cats (didn't say how many) in their carriers at night in case of fire. This way they can grab the carriers and flee the RV, not wasting time looking for the kitties. So fires are something others are also thinking about.....
Old 06-02-2015, 11:29 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbahrns View Post
Newmar has added an emergency exit door to its rear bath models. My DW is deathly afraid of fire and this one item alone sold her on the Newmar.

I know this doesn't help older coaches, but it looks like safety is becoming more of a priority.

I saw a door above the bed in a bunkhouse TT. Any kids could quickly escape - or whoever was at that end of the RV. They'd be out in seconds.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:41 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbahrns View Post

I saw a door above the bed in a bunkhouse TT. Any kids could quickly escape - or whoever was at that end of the RV. They'd be out in seconds.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:45 AM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't know what to do about the 4 cats. I saw on a Facebook RV group where a couple put their cats (didn't say how many) in their carriers at night in case of fire. This way they can grab the carriers and flee the RV, not wasting time looking for the kitties. So fires are something others are also thinking about.....[/QUOTE]

I forgot to mention that I took 1/4 luan plywood, cut to fit, to close under dash and couch to keep our cat out of those areas,forces him to stay where we can get to him, pieces held in place with velcro,good temp holding power,can remove when necessary. Also made luan strips,stained to match for around base of bed and dinnette/couch slide, keeps fake mice out of those areas, PIA fishing his mice from under those spaces all the time, also held with velcro.
I also added 3-smoke detectors 1-under kitchen sink/ waterheater/furnace/fridge area 2-inside pantry cabinet/converter-circuit breaker panel area 3-in cargo hold above auto transfer switch, factory detector is near front seats. Also added large fire extinguisher to bedroom cabinet,and 1 more in pass side front cargo hold/outside gas grill area. overkill, maybe,maybe not,who's to say for sure. I hate kicking myself in the butt over something I could have/should have done!

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
Old 06-03-2015, 08:41 AM   #41
IC2

Interesting thread and relevant regardless of you having a Class A or even starter TT. Manufacturer's comply with some regulation that requires them to supply an emergency exit. They don't consider the fact that many of these exits are virtually useless - they have complied!!! We have a decent size 5er with two emergency exits, neither of which are useful. The one in the bedroom is a fairly small window that works just fine as a window and it actually open as an emergency exit!!! But its use in the event of a fire - impossible as you would have to climb over a chest of drawers then squeeze through that opening - backwards or just dive out and hope you don't break too many bones in the process. The second exit - same size/brand of window as the bedroom - is in a slide with a desk in front of it, and to get out, would have to 'dump' whatever is sitting on the desk such as a printer, laptop, lamp and .... well you get the picture.

Now, let's think a little more. You have a fire at O dark thirty. How rational is your thinking, just being wakened by the smoke alarm (you do have one or two and with a fresh battery, don't you)? Will you remember that you need to find, hook up and drop that fire escape ladder out of the escape route? Will you remember that you need to go out feet first, belly down so you can get a foot on that ladder? Are you - ahem - size challenged as so many Americans are these days and limber enough to even get to the window? Physically capable too? Our last 5er had two very large escape windows and a rope (useless) ladder for the bedroom.

Event of fires, regardless of how many sordid pictures you see on the 'net, along with personal injuries are really very few. Most that you see of burning MH's along a highway according to what I've seen appear to either be an engine compartment fire, a tire or a brake and not propane or reefer related and something that seldom happens in a CG or Walmart.

Being proactive is your best insurance for these potential situations. When in a CG, use their electricity for the reefer and hot water heater. You are paying many bucks per night for that power source. Use your furnace only if it's really cold then use a small electric heater to maintain your level of comfort. Have as many fire extinguishers as you think you need. The dry chem types work best but that powder is corrosive. Maintain your RV's electrical system - I've found loose connections on every TT or 5er we have owned. Loose connections will cause heat. Don't dead bolt your main door at night - just lock it so it will open at a tug of one handle. If you have a Dometic reefer, make sure it has had the recall done. Common sense and an emergency plan and maintain your cool is really most of what you need to have

But, with all that said, your main and best way out will be that entry door. Your pets also need an escape plan too. I say this with trepidation as our two poodlepups are well loved, but you and your safety have to come first.

Oh and our current 5er - it has one of those 1200 series Norcolds and that fire suppression system is on my list of very near future mods.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 10:52 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Folks, I read these types of threads with interest and always come away saddened reviewing the responses. Having just retired from a 29 year career of inner city firefighting and having experienced fire up close and personal hundreds of times, I'm not liking what I read here. I like to speak eloquently and use gentile terms in most conversations but not this one, I can only be brutally honest and blunt.
The fact is, we have crappy options regarding emergency exit from our bedrooms. But, they are usable with some forethought. The only safe way out these windows are feet 1st, belly down. Then, by hanging from your fingertips, your drop is maybe a foot or 2. That's a sprained ankle. Going out the window feet 1st, belly up and you're essentially jumping from 5'-7', that's a broken leg, maybe. In both cases, you're alive to see another day.
The use of the exit window is a last resort, not your primary way of egress. Lets look at the scenario we'd likely face. If your smoke detectors/early warning devices are working properly and you awaken with its 1st chirp, you'll be facing a fire of much smaller dimensions, smoke will be at ceiling level and you'll have some visibility at the floor level. It is at this point, you begin to get your faculties and fight or flight response kicks in. Your best bet at this point is to pull the blanket over your head, get on all 4's and crawl to the exit door as fast as you can. I say this is your best bet because escape out your most commonly used door is still possible. Being on the floor affords you air to breath, the blanket offers protection from the heat and visibility is still available to you at the floor level. Now, if for some reason you did not change your early warning system battery, or it simply malfunctions or you went to bed intoxicated and passed out, the scenario you face when you wake up (if) will be much different. You are now facing a well developed and expanding fire. Option 1 as previously explained, is no longer an option for you. You must use the emergency exit. This option is not graceful, it is not pretty, it is going to hurt. All the safety ladders stored, escape ropes under beds and/or multiple, various sized fire extinguishers are all totally useless. If you can't get out using option 1, the situation you face is stacking against you. Smoke is filling your lungs, you are coughing/choking, going to the floor is no longer an option. There are no escape windows at floor level! Heat is building to well over comfortable levels, you are feeling it burn you. It was at this stage that dozens of people opted to jump from the 100+ floors above ground at the World Trade Center in 2001. We do crazy things trying to save ourselves when we are burning. You need to get out that window, NOW!
In this scenario, closing your bedroom door will provide you time and block some smoke and heat in your immediate area. Close your door, get the window open, feet 1st, belly down, hang from your finger tips and drop.
To improve your chances in a fire two things I've read in this thread have merit. Mac the Fire Guy system is one and the pre-attached exit ladder is the other. Regarding the fire extinguishing agent; any time an agent can be applied to an early fire will be beneficial by either stopping it or slowing it. An early warning, audible device needs to sound as soon as the agent bottle is triggered. Since the typical RV fridge has been suspect installing this suppression system makes sense....for a fridge fire. However so many other things cause fire in an RV and/or stick homes. Your phone chargers, your laptop transformers, battery chargers have all been the cause of destructive fires, improper disposal of smoking material, the list is long. In each case, your early warning device and a rehearsed escape plan will save your life. The pre-attached escape ladder has merit, provided you ALWAYS use it and practice the feet 1st, belly down egress technique. I fear if feet 1st, belly up is used, you could end up straddling the rungs and blocking anyone else's escape. Trained firefighters practice head 1st, belly down techniques using ground ladders for emergency exit. I wouldn't have my family try this technique, but I bring it up because there is a way to do it safely.
In closing, I am sorry if I sickened you, frightened you, it is not my intent. But, as I said in my opening, I will not sugarcoat this topic, your lives depend on you getting it right the 1st time.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote