Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2015, 05:50 PM   #43

Alpine Owners Club
I would recommend that you attend an FMCA rally and go Mac the Fire Guy classes. He has a class and demonstration of fires in RV'S and the use of fire extinguishers and where they should be located. The second class he talks about and demonstrates on how to escape from an RV.

Mac has also put on classes at RV rallies when he is your area.

Both classes are very educational.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2015, 05:53 PM   #44
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fernandez View Post
I would recommend that you attend an FMCA rally and go Mac the Fire Guy classes. He has a class and demonstration of fires in RV'S and the use of fire extinguishers and where the should be located. The second class he talks about and demonstrates on how to escape from an RV.

I've been twice to his seminars and they're very worthwhile .

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:04 PM   #45

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post

You know, I don't think I'm going to sleep back there. Honestly, I fear fire more than anything else were these RVs are concerned.
Why don't you just swap out the gas reefer for a residential one? Allay your fire fears and get more fridge space to boot.
HoneyBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 05:58 PM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
LT46, peter, thanks for your candid and experienced view, the feet first, bellydown method is exactly what we practice when using our escape ladder. It is good for me to hear that my escape ladder is a rational piece of equipment,
like a fire escape on an apartment building. I have been laughed at by many, after they see this setup, most see it as a gaudy,redneck, unnessesary, and overkill. I look at it as a common sense means of escape, an affordable and safe means for my wife and I to climb out if need be without breaking our necks. The sight of those people jumping from the world trade center to escape the fire will forever be on my mind,can't imagine, nor do I ever want to be in such a dire need of escape,and to forgo using the setup I have for the sake of vanity to me seems insane. I can only hope that my escape ladder setup will catch on with all the rv owners that have lousy egress, to ignore the naysayers
and stop blaming the rv builders,take their destiny into their own hands , and do something to help themselves, the rv builders are not going to call and say bring it in ,we're gonna put you in a nice escape door on your 10 yr old unit !!!
I do plan on a mac the fire guy setup for the fridge area,makes sense . I just want to say in closing, I cannot imagine running into a burning building while everyone else is trying to get out,it takes a special person to do that , over and over again,thanks.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:15 PM   #47

Supposing you even wake up to a fire! We assume the fridge area might be impassable, we plan to stand up on both sides of the bed and pull the mattress up to block the flames for a few seconds and give us a hard surface to stand on so I can through my Wife out the window and then with my butt on fire I plan to take a header and land on her!!!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 06:35 PM   #48

Lt46
Thank you for the great information.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:49 AM   #49

Winnebago Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Rapid Rick,
I'm sure your idea has been ridiculed, it doesn't surprise me because afterall...it'll never happen to me! As gaudy and overkill as some may see it, I see a fire-smart individual concerned with the safe escape of his family members. I might concede to a security concern, but it would in no way change anything. Watch your local firefighters at work someday, you will note that ground ladders are typically placed at any 2nd floor window while the interior firefight moves on. Why? We are trained to do so, we never know when the situation we are dealing with will change for the worse and block our means of egress. Knowing a ground ladder is in place makes the decision to bail out a window much more palatable. We practice "feet 1st, belly down, hang from fingertips" as well.
I hate the false sense of security people get when they say "I've got this under the bed or that stowed in the closet." Adjunct ladders and ropes are good for escape from a 1st floor fire which blocks use of the stairway. Both time and distance from the fire are your friends in this situation. However, in a motorhome or travel trailer neither of these are in play. We are simply too close to that which burns. Early warning and quick, practiced escape plans is what will offer the best outcome.
I sure wish the manufacturers would reconsider the exit door in bedrooms rather than simply complying with a regulation requiring emergency exits. Regardless, we have what we have and simply lamenting for something better is unproductive. Early warning and quick reaction will save lives.
Homeless, you've got it! Close the bedroom door, use the mattress as a shield to buy time is a great idea. Practice feet 1st with belly down as your exit technique and good things will happen. Oh yeah... it would be nice if momma got out of the way ASAP.
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote