Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2015, 02:37 AM   #1

Question In case of fire....

We were looking at the emergency bedroom window in our Southwind to see how we could escape in case of a fridge fire at night. There are only 2 doors in this rig, one in front by the driver seat and one toward the middle-front. We would have to either use the window or walk past the burning fridge/wall/whatever. We realized anyone but a young slender agile person would either never get over the sill due to it's height from the floor, or would, if they managed to get over the sill, most likely be seriously injured from the fall to the ground. It's quite a way down. What are you folks planning to do in the same situation? In our 70s with arthritis and a few extra pounds, I doubt we would manage to get out that window safely if at all. We did add 2 extra smoke and CO alarms. We are also adding one to the compartment behind the fridge. I wish my DH would agree to get rid of the Dometic and replace it with a regular fridge. It's 15 yrs old so maybe with some luck it will die on the first trip a did the one in the Class-C we had.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2015, 03:30 AM   #2

I've been thinking about a couple of these, a shorter one for inside and one that will get us down to the bumper for the outside. maybe stored in a rear closet or in the under-bed storage.

Actually, these might be better, a 3 step inside and a 4 step outside, they could be permanently mounted and be out of the way enough to not be a hazard. They are stainless and don"t look all that bad.

rivraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 10:39 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Put a fire suppression system in the refer. $175
One would be surprised how fast one can move when confronted by FIRE.
Have you opened the fire exit to see if it is stuck?
We put the system in plus a fire extinguisher each side of the bed,
One in the kitchen and one larger by the entry door. All foam and
safe.
No plug here but check out, Mac the fire guy, has good equipment,
not cheap but how much is one life worth.

LEN
Old 05-31-2015, 01:36 PM   #4

3 out of 3 vehicles I checked had escape windows with seals stuck so tightly to the frame that it required some very serious shoving and banging to get it to open. Yours will likely be the same.

I'd say you might have a few seconds to get out before the noxious fumes and smoke get you so any fancy escape equipment that can't be deployed in seconds in pitch darkness with the smoke alarm and CO alarms blaring away and the curtains flapping around and you coughing your lungs out and the other half yelling loudly is just a waste of time.

Yes, useless escape hatches are just one of many things on the list of abject failures and gross negligence by RV manufacturers and in this case they callously give you a choice between dying of smoke inhalation and falling on your head and breaking your neck.

Wouldn't take a lot of smarts by the design engineers to either hinge the window on a vertical edge and put a gas strut on it to hold it open (would also work on the current design) or, with appropriate placards warning what happens if you deploy it , so that it just drops out on the ground. Or hinge it on the bottom and incorporate a 3" ledge in the top of the frame so when it swings down it provides a foothold so you can step out onto it and then drop on to your feet instead of your head. Hardly rocket science to do a whole lot better than what they give us now which certainly wouldn't be approved by any competent fire safety authority.
Old 05-31-2015, 03:37 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I'm glad that I read about the windows being stuck.

I will check mine out to see, you never know.

Also someone posted a link to this site Fire Fight Products supplemental fire systems
on which I was very interested on installing in the RV.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
I'd say you might have a few seconds to get out before the noxious fumes and smoke get you so any fancy escape equipment that can't be deployed in seconds in pitch darkness with the smoke alarm and CO alarms blaring away and the curtains flapping around and you coughing your lungs out and the other half yelling loudly is just a waste of time.

Yes, useless escape hatches are just one of many things on the list of abject failures and gross negligence by RV manufacturers and in this case they callously give you a choice between dying of smoke inhalation and falling on your head and breaking your neck.

Wouldn't take a lot of smarts by the design engineers to either hinge the window on a vertical edge and put a gas strut on it to hold it open (would also work on the current design) or, with appropriate placards warning what happens if you deploy it , so that it just drops out on the ground. Or hinge it on the bottom and incorporate a 3" ledge in the top of the frame so when it swings down it provides a foothold so you can step out onto it and then drop on to your feet instead of your head. Hardly rocket science to do a whole lot better than what they give us now which certainly wouldn't be approved by any competent fire safety authority.
All valid points, but you have to make what you do have work as well as possible. The first boat ladders I pictured are pretty idiot proof as the just hang on the window frame, the second one I pictured is a very simple telescoping ladder, nothing to deploy really. Fire suppression is a good idea as well, but not foolproof.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLYLEN View Post
Put a fire suppression system in the refer. $175
One would be surprised how fast one can move when confronted by FIRE.
Have you opened the fire exit to see if it is stuck?
No, we didn't check to see if it was stuck. I think we need to do that. Is that system guaranteed to work for $175? I looked at them the other day. I can't see how it would fit in the compartment behind our fridge. There may not even be space for an alarm. It's a very compact tight area. There is little space for anything.

Quote:
We put the system in plus a fire extinguisher each side of the bed,
One in the kitchen and one larger by the entry door. All foam and
safe.
No plug here but check out, Mac the fire guy, has good equipment,
not cheap but how much is one life worth.
The extinguisher wont work if there's no room for it behind the fridge. Nothing larger than perhaps a soda can or something the size of pack of cigarettes will fit back there. Not all those compartments are the same.

And it's not that it would not be possible to get through the window in a fire, but that the large drop to the ground would be crippling. Are we all expected to have ladders both inside our RVs and longer ones outside to reach the ground safely? And do we go out the window head first which is almost a certain broken neck/spine or feet first and end up with broken bones? I just don't get how the Gov allows such dangerous RVs to be made with all the safety demanded of the car industry. There is so little space between the bed and the wall that no ladder would fit there. We can barely get around the bed.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivraton View Post
I've been thinking about a couple of these, a shorter one for inside and one that will get us down to the bumper for the outside. maybe stored in a rear closet or in the under-bed storage.
Where did you see these? In our RV the one on the outside would have to be pretty long to get us close enough to the ground to safely "let go"and drop.

You wont have time to dig around under the bed for a ladder - from what I read you gave only a few brief minutes before the smoke or flames get you.

[/QUOTE]
Old 05-31-2015, 08:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
3 out of 3 vehicles I checked had escape windows with seals stuck so tightly to the frame that it required some very serious shoving and banging to get it to open. Yours will likely be the same.
I plan to check it out tomorrow. Once open are they easy to close again?

Quote:
You know, I don't think I'm going to sleep back there. Honestly, I fear fire more than anything else were these RVs are concerned. I'd rather sleep on the sofa opposite the door. Those bedrooms with no exit to the outside but a window that may stick in any case, and are many feet above the ground are dangerous. Deadly even. As for those $175 extinguishers that go behind the fridge if they fit... there have been fires started by water heaters and furnaces though rare from what I understand.

Quote:

I agree with you 100%! Everything you said makes sense.

The 2011 NorthTrail TT we also have (for sale) has 2 doors and an Exit window. With the 2 doors it's not likely we'd get trapped. Unfortunately the emergency window is so high and so small I can't see how anyone but a slender teenager getting through it.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:28 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
My wife and I have had this discussion. Our bedroom windows are low enough to fall out of, which is what we will do in a fire. We have a 20# extinguisher in the bedroom.My wife was badly burned as a child.So at 75 and a little heavy we will go out a window.
Doyle and Peggy
Old 05-31-2015, 08:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoeAZ View Post
I'm glad that I read about the windows being stuck.

I will check mine out to see, you never know.

Also someone posted a link to this site Fire Fight Products supplemental fire systems
on which I was very interested on installing in the RV.
Check how how much space is available behind your fridge. There is almost none behind ours in the SouthWind coach.

I just spoke to DH and we will check tomorrow to see how the windows opens and if it's stuck.

Does anyone know if the window will fall to the ground when those red handles are turned?
Old 05-31-2015, 08:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackpeteno View Post
My wife and I have had this discussion. Our bedroom windows are low enough to fall out of, which is what we will do in a fire. We have a 20# extinguisher in the bedroom.My wife was badly burned as a child.So at 75 and a little heavy we will go out a window.
Doyle and Peggy
We have one but it's by the side door. It wont help if the fire, like most from what I read, starts behind the fridge and spreads to the walls and roof. All you can do is run for your life, to escape any way you can. Another in the bedroom would be helpful perhaps... but if the walls are burning?!?!?! After this conversation and all I've read, I am not sleeping in the bedroom.

Another concern is I fear we would never be able to save our 4 cats. Dogs would run out with you, but frightened cats tend to hide. I came across no info on saving cats in an RV or housefire.

I can understand your wife's fear of being burned again.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:49 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
The fire suppression system is about the size of a soda can. It is mounted with a bicycle drink holder, and yes it is a tight fit, did see one it would not work in. Mac when he does his class says you can even spray yourself with the foam, may give you a few more seconds, then licks/tastes it on his arm to show it is safe. He also has a system that has just the spray sensor head in behind the refer and the bottle mounted near by. Looks like you get a better deal at his presentation. price online $210 and I got the horizontal one.

My Business - Home

Here is a link

LEN
Old 06-01-2015, 01:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanCarr View Post
Where did you see these? In our RV the one on the outside would have to be pretty long to get us close enough to the ground to safely "let go"and drop.

You wont have time to dig around under the bed for a ladder - from what I read you gave only a few brief minutes before the smoke or flames get you.

[/QUOTE]

Both on Amazon.com, The hook style ladders are available in 5 - 1/2 feet for sure maybe even longer.