Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2011, 09:02 PM   #1

Question in dash stereo

Ideas on a good in dash stereo. am/fm/cd/ipod/weather band. Original in 2003 Winnebago Adventurer gave out the other day. Will products at retail stores work or should I look for a radio that's specifically designed for an RV?
Opening is 7 1/2" wide and 3 3/8" high (approximately). Radio can't be any larger than this opening because of a metal support bracket under the dash.
My concern is the wiring harness and it's compatibility with the existing wiring under the dash.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2011, 09:23 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wow, where to start....

1. Make sure whatever radio you get has the same jacks on the back as the one you remove; especially if you have any other audio/video components going into the dash radio.

2. It sounds like size matters. When you shop look for a radio with the same dimensions. This maybe you most important consideration.

3. You're likely on your own with speaker connections. You're going to have to figure out which wires to to which speakers. If you are lucky they are labeled; most likely they aren't. One way to find out is to look up the specs on the old radio; they must be located somewhere on the internet. Once you figure out which wire goes to which speaker you can splice the new radio speaker wires into the coach speaker wires.

4. It is up to you once you find the right size radio with correct rear inputs that match your old radio to determine if you want AM/FM/Satellite/Weather/etc. This is a personal choice.

A good place to start looking for radio info is crutchfield.com.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:27 AM   #3

I just had a new radio installed in our 2007 Adventurer. The old radio (Magnadyne) was a 1.5 din, meaning that the opening was 1.5 times larger than a standard radio. I quickly found out that 1.5 din radios were obsolete and my only choices were to buy a standard size radio or a 2.0 din radio, which would require too much cutting and fitting. I replaced it with a standard size Kenwood radio. The metal bracket you mentioned did obstruct the plug for the wiring harness, but I easily trimmed it using a jigsaw Dremel attachment. I got the radio at Best Buy and their technician did most of the installation. He did have to re-pin the wiring harness, and everything works as it should. I subscribe to Sirius Radio so I had to get a new SiriusConnect tuner box and the Kenwood Sirius interface. I elected to not use a faceplate kit and install the radio directly against the dash, which left an opening about 1.5 inches high above the radio. I cut a piece of plexiglass to size and painted it black to cover the space, and it looks like an OEM installation. I am looking for a half din pocket to install in the opening to hold an iPod, or I might can cut down a full size pocket to fit. Or, I might just leave the plexiglass in place.

The radio has a great sound and Bluetooth makes taking and making phone calls a snap when you are on the road.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:21 AM   #4

Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've put two different stereos in our MH. To your questions:

1. Any car stereo will work. The problems come with how to mount it and whether it will fit through the existing hole in the dash without being too small. Typically, car stereos fit tightly in the dash opening and use a metal strap on the back to keep them from jumping around on the road. Jumping makes the CDs skip.
2. They make wiring adapters but the last two stereos that I've installed came with a plug on the back and a harness to link them to the vehicle. While it looks like a lot of wires, there are 4 pairs of wires to the speakers (carefully color coded) and two power wires. One goes to the ignition source that will drive the stereo and the other goes to an "always one" power source to keep the stereo's memory and presets alive. I simply used electrical splice connectors to make the connections between the stereo harness and the MH harness.

I'm not sure how lucky you will be to find iPod controls and a weather band in the same dash stereo. I bought a CB with weather band and it was cheaper to do that and then buy a standard car stereo. I toyed with the USB front panel connector but in the end, I just went with an aux jack. I don't need to run the iPod from the dash stereo but you might feel differently.
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:58 AM   #5

Visit a specialty shop

If you have removed your old unit, it should be easy with plug in connectors, then take it with you and visit a couple local specialty shops, those who do car audio systems as it is their buisness to know these things.

They will be able to tell you what options you have and provide a selection of models to choose from as well as install it if you wish.

In this economy they should be very willing to help, and you will be amazed at what is available.

Let them try to "sell" you something, you may find upgrades to navigation or mirror cameras or ??? may be in line, have fun and keep us posted!
Old 01-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #6

indiomark

Went to Crutchfield site and have been shopping the past couple of days. Found a Jensen Heavy Duty Model JHD1620B that offers Ipod and weather band station together which is hard to find. This unit does not offer CD player in unit. Since we have the Ipod I'm inclined to use that rather than CD anyway. The factory installed Magnadyne radio with cd player did not fare well on the road and skipped due to the ride. The radio outside plays cd's and since we're also looking at replacing the old dvd player, I'm sure I can find one that plays cd's as well. Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
If you have removed your old unit, it should be easy with plug in connectors, then take it with you and visit a couple local specialty shops, those who do car audio systems as it is their buisness to know these things.

They will be able to tell you what options you have and provide a selection of models to choose from as well as install it if you wish.

In this economy they should be very willing to help, and you will be amazed at what is available.

Let them try to "sell" you something, you may find upgrades to navigation or mirror cameras or ??? may be in line, have fun and keep us posted!
Old 01-19-2011, 12:10 PM   #7

indiomark

Went to Crutchfield site and have been shopping the past couple of days. Found a Jensen Heavy Duty Model JHD1620B that offers Ipod and weather band station together which is hard to find. This unit does not offer CD player in unit. Since we have the Ipod I'm inclined to use that rather than CD anyway. The factory installed Magnadyne radio with cd player did not fare well on the road and skipped due to the ride. The radio outside plays cd's and since we're also looking at replacing the old dvd player, I'm sure I can find one that plays cd's as well. Thanks for your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfm11 View Post
I've put two different stereos in our MH. To your questions:

1. Any car stereo will work. The problems come with how to mount it and whether it will fit through the existing hole in the dash without being too small. Typically, car stereos fit tightly in the dash opening and use a metal strap on the back to keep them from jumping around on the road. Jumping makes the CDs skip.
2. They make wiring adapters but the last two stereos that I've installed came with a plug on the back and a harness to link them to the vehicle. While it looks like a lot of wires, there are 4 pairs of wires to the speakers (carefully color coded) and two power wires. One goes to the ignition source that will drive the stereo and the other goes to an "always one" power source to keep the stereo's memory and presets alive. I simply used electrical splice connectors to make the connections between the stereo harness and the MH harness.

I'm not sure how lucky you will be to find iPod controls and a weather band in the same dash stereo. I bought a CB with weather band and it was cheaper to do that and then buy a standard car stereo. I toyed with the USB front panel connector but in the end, I just went with an aux jack. I don't need to run the iPod from the dash stereo but you might feel differently.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:12 PM   #8

indiomark

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidC1225 View Post
I just had a new radio installed in our 2007 Adventurer. The old radio (Magnadyne) was a 1.5 din, meaning that the opening was 1.5 times larger than a standard radio. I quickly found out that 1.5 din radios were obsolete and my only choices were to buy a standard size radio or a 2.0 din radio, which would require too much cutting and fitting. I replaced it with a standard size Kenwood radio. The metal bracket you mentioned did obstruct the plug for the wiring harness, but I easily trimmed it using a jigsaw Dremel attachment. I got the radio at Best Buy and their technician did most of the installation. He did have to re-pin the wiring harness, and everything works as it should. I subscribe to Sirius Radio so I had to get a new SiriusConnect tuner box and the Kenwood Sirius interface. I elected to not use a faceplate kit and install the radio directly against the dash, which left an opening about 1.5 inches high above the radio. I cut a piece of plexiglass to size and painted it black to cover the space, and it looks like an OEM installation. I am looking for a half din pocket to install in the opening to hold an iPod, or I might can cut down a full size pocket to fit. Or, I might just leave the plexiglass in place.

The radio has a great sound and Bluetooth makes taking and making phone calls a snap when you are on the road.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:33 PM   #9

Just a google search for "weather band ipod head unit" shows quite a few options between $2-300

Hello, as the others here have already posted, you can use whatever radio your heart desires. But if you have any other inputs other than RCA's (multi-cd changer, ipod, sat. radio) they might not plug into your new radio

From your measurements it sounds like you have the "din and a half" size opening. Din is equal to a standard radio, din and a half is 1.5x's taller and double din is twice as tall as your "normal" headunit.

And as for wiring in a new radio, couldn't be easier. (not 100% accurate for everybody)

Power - red
ground - black
memory - yellow
and enough wires for 4 speaker - usually grey, purple, green, and white pairs.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:06 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Amazon.com: Brand-X XXLW10IWCS AM/FM-MPX In-Dash Marine Weather Band CD/MP3/WMA Detachable Face Plate Player with XM Ready/iPod Ready/USB/Wired Remote: Electronics
Old 01-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #11

indiomark

Any ideas on the wiring. I've identified the speaker wires, ground and the red wire which is the switched to 12v. The yellow wire is 12vdc constant and I don't see anything on the radios I've looked at in particular the Jensen Heavy Duty JHD1620B and JHD3620 or any other radios for that matter. I've noticed on the plug in spot for the wiring harness there are a few slots that are open. Can I use one of those slots? I believe the constant is to the battery and the other is for the switch on the dash and/or the panel on the front of the inverter that allows me to switch between radio and tv, I think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
Just a google search for "weather band ipod head unit" shows quite a few options between $2-300

Hello, as the others here have already posted, you can use whatever radio your heart desires. But if you have any other inputs other than RCA's (multi-cd changer, ipod, sat. radio) they might not plug into your new radio

From your measurements it sounds like you have the "din and a half" size opening. Din is equal to a standard radio, din and a half is 1.5x's taller and double din is twice as tall as your "normal" headunit.

And as for wiring in a new radio, couldn't be easier. (not 100% accurate for everybody)

Power - red
ground - black
memory - yellow
and enough wires for 4 speaker - usually grey, purple, green, and white pairs.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndioMark View Post
Any ideas on the wiring. I've identified the speaker wires, ground and the red wire which is the switched to 12v. The yellow wire is 12vdc constant and I don't see anything on the radios I've looked at in particular the Jensen Heavy Duty JHD1620B and JHD3620 or any other radios for that matter. I've noticed on the plug in spot for the wiring harness there are a few slots that are open. Can I use one of those slots? I believe the constant is to the battery and the other is for the switch on the dash and/or the panel on the front of the inverter that allows me to switch between radio and tv, I think...

JHD1620B - JENSEN Heavy Duty AM/FM/WB/iPod and SIRIUS Satellite Radio Ready Stereo

Below the picture of the radio, click on the "Manuals and Guides" link.
After that click on the owners manual and a pdf will open up. A wiring schematic is on page 6.

GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote