Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2015, 04:24 PM   #1

In-line fuel filter - what happens when you remove it?

Wow! After 16 months I finally found the in line fuel filter on my diesel coach. It is on the inside rail behind a lot of hoses and wire looms and not at all easy to get to. My question is what happens when I remove the old one? Will fuel run continually till I get the new one on? I sure hope that's not the case. Any suggestions would sure be appreciated.

Thanks,

Robby

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2015, 04:44 PM   #2

In-line fuel filter - what happens when you remove it?

Mine does.. I have heard of people with a rubber fuel line crimping it to stop the flow. But, to me it's not a big deal. Just put a pan under it and have the new filter ready to go. I never lost more that a 1/4 of a gal (quart) of fuel while changing it. Plug the center hole of the filter and pre-fill the new filter before you install it for safe measure to make sure it picks up and starts.

Randy W

Old 08-23-2015, 05:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwillbeit View Post
Mine does.. I have heard of people with a rubber fuel line crimping it to stop the flow. But, to me it's not a big deal. Just put a pan under it and have the new filter ready to go. I never lost more that a 1/4 of a gal (quart) of fuel while changing it. Plug the center hole of the filter and pre-fill the new filter before you install it for safe measure to make sure it picks up and starts.

Randy W
Thanks Randy. Maybe loosen both ends first and then change it as fast as I can by hand. I prefill the water separator but this filter runs horizontal, I'd think the fuel would run out before I could get it on plus the filter location is really buried.

Robby
Old 08-23-2015, 08:13 PM   #4

Thanks for asking that question as I am about to do major surgery on my inline fuel filter. I am thinking about taking my portable air compressor and air nozzle and blowing back towards the tank to eliminate the flow.

I am then going to replace the inline Racor filter with a canister type. I have a narrow empty storage bay behind the current filter location and plan on routing the lines there to make it easier to change the Fleetguard FS1212 filter.

JumboJet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:11 PM   #5

I went to freightliner and bought the same tubing and some fittings and moved the in line strainer further up the framerail where it's easy to access. I'd be interested to know how the fs1212 works out. I was afraid it would be too much restriction on the lift pump.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:50 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbounder View Post
I'd be interested to know how the fs1212 works out. I was afraid it would be too much restriction on the lift pump.

Decided to replace the Cummins lift pump with a FASS DDRP 04 pump.

Now I have to figure out where I am going to mount the pump and filter. Less suction and more push is always better and the FASS supports that much better than the OEM lift pump.
JumboJet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 03:18 PM   #7

When you go to a FASS pump, do you remove the old pump or is it like a booster to the stock pump ?

Tags
fuel