Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2013, 03:56 AM   #1

In need of tires for 2004 Monaco Dynasty Chancellor

Just purchased a 2004 Monaco Dynasty Chancellor with tag. The new 295/75R 22.5 (off brand) tires have a terrible ride and have to go. I invite suggestions for premium tire brands and sizes to maximize safety and smooth ride. I traded up from a 31' National RV. Sea Breeze for better comfort. I also welcome any comments about this particular model. With just under 50K on the clock, is there any service I should be concerned with?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

PAPA "J"

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2013, 05:40 AM   #2

Congratulations. You will love it. I joined Monaco International and used their tire program to purchase 8 Michelins for my Panther. Saved a bunch of money. You will want to Weigh the Motorhome to calculate the amount of air you should have in the tires. You will also want to calculate the air pressure in the tag axle. I would bet that it is set too high putting more weight on the front tires and causing a lot of rough running especially over the strips it he road. I lowered mine about 5 psi and the ride improved considerably.

The other thing I did before purchasing was to take a sample of the transmission fluid and engine oil before it was changed and have it tested. Have fun with your new Motorhome. We love ours.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:19 AM   #3
laj

Michelin is the only tire il'll put on mine. great ride and handling.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:44 AM   #4

I believe that you can fit 315/80's on the front. if that's true go for it as you will be able to run your pressure lower for a better ride while still maintaining a good safety margin. we've been running Michelin on last two coaches with good results. jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:48 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats on your new coach, great choice.

My opinion, tires are one thing that you don't want to worry about... not a place to try to save money, especially when you're talking about a 40K pound vehicle and your life. If you are not a member of Family Motor Coach Assoc, join it is not expensive. Then use the FMCA fleet discount with Michelin and buy one of the most expensive but best tires on the market at a fantastic discount. Some will tell you that other brands are just as good or better, and I won't argue with them. For me its Michelin and a happy cocktail hour when I get to my next destination.

One other note, don't let the tire place tell you that the tires don't need to be balanced. Find someone to fully clean the beads of rims and has the proper equipment to spin balance. And don't forget to get plastic spacers between the aluminum wheels and the hubs or inside steel wheel, this eliminates the steel/aluminum galvanic reaction. Oh, and now is a good time to replace all of the valve stems and get solid stems if they still have the old braided stems on the inside rears.

As for general service on your Dynasty, it depends on the documented service history that you received with the coach. Just one item that I did yesterday as part of my regular service routine is to service the AquaHot. This is an easy service to do yourself. Replace the fuel filter and burner nozzle and clean the combustion chamber. AH is a great unit but you don't want to neglect it. There are lots of other areas for service, that is really a topic for a new thread on servicing a "new to you" coach.

Cheers and happy motoring in your new coach.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:35 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quality is important; pressure is critical

Hi,
I put new tires on my new-to-me coach and ended up with Continentals. Didn't think much about it...Freightliner sent it "next door" and the commercial trucking tire store took care of it. When I got the coach back I noticed it seemed to require much more steering input and I had to work hard to stay in my lane. I was pretty sure it didn't wander as much when I drove the coach home from my initial purchase, but since this was my first coach and my first time driving such a big rig, I didn't trust my memory. However, after a couple of short trip, I arrived worn out and knew I needed to do something!
So I researched this forum and got lots of advice, including stabilizer bar, etc, etc. However, the cheapest solution was to get the tire pressure right, so I weighed and then adjusted. What a huge difference! Turns out that 5 to 8 lbs of air in my front two tires makes a dramatic difference on handling. Too much pressure and the front end wanders all over the road. It behaves as if I am driving in a bad crosswind. Once I got the air pressure right in the front, the coach tracks like it is on rails. Turns out I had too much air in the fronts.

Pressure changes on the back tires weren't nearly as dramatic. While I did notice a little better ride, a pressure adjustment in the rears didn't seem to impact the ride nearly as much - some, but not to the degree that a change to front had.
What I'm saying is that I will replace my tires with Michelins next time. Wish I had been smart enough to have reseached the choices before I bought. (I've tried other brands on my personal cars, and always regreted not getting Michelins anytime I bought a competing brand).
In the meantime I've learned that tire pressure does more than just make the ride hard or soft....and even a few ibs of air pressure difference makes a huge difference to how my coach steers and rides.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #7

No expert but here is my $0.02 anyway. Chassis manufactures spend considerable money matching there suspension to the OEM tires they chose. Why change that?
What were the tires that were originally on the MH when new? That's what I would go with.
I'm sure there would be other brands that may be just fine, I simply would not want to spend that kind of money to be the guinea pig. When it comes time for new tires on my MH I'll go with OEM brand, size, and type.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #8

I just replaced all eight tires , same size as yours, on my coach with Bridgestone's. Check to see if your shocks are still good also. Our friends have the exact same coach you do, and found that the Monaco Int price was cheaper for them than FMCA, so they used them and put Mich's on.Spin balance only.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPA J View Post
Just purchased a 2004 Monaco Dynasty Chancellor with tag. The new 295/75R 22.5 (off brand) tires have a terrible ride and have to go. I invite suggestions for premium tire brands and sizes to maximize safety and smooth ride. I traded up from a 31' National RV. Sea Breeze for better comfort. I also welcome any comments about this particular model. With just under 50K on the clock, is there any service I should be concerned with?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

PAPA "J"
Those tires are the wrong size for your coach. The coach should have 295/80R22.5 LR H tires. The 75 profile will not carry the same weight at a given psi so for best performance you should go back to the OEM size. Tire brands are getting into a Ford/Chevy type argument. If you stick with one of the major manufacturers you will have pretty good national availability should you need a matching replacement. Don't be concerned about RV specific tires. There are only 2, the Goodyear G670 and the Michelin XRV. These tires both have had issues. The Goodyears exhibit an odd wear pattern when used on the steer axle and the Michelin seems prone to zipper failures. Currently these two tires seem to be the favorites in this size:
1. Michelin XZA2 Energy
2. Bridgestone R250

The FMCA or Monaco International buying program has made Michelin more affordable.

The idea that motorhome suspension systems are tuned to a specific tire is not based in reality.

Find an appropriate tire and get your coach weighed so you can set your tire inflation pressures. Have a chassis alinement done which includes ride height. Set your tag axle pressure for the best weight distribution and you are good to go.
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome

What Steve said is 100% correct, especially size, 295's are fine, unless you will run heavy all the time (fulltimer) then you might look at the 315 option for fronts. A search will get you a lot of info on that switch.

Enjoy the ride...
Twomed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twomed View Post
Welcome

What Steve said is 100% correct, especially size, 295's are fine, unless you will run heavy all the time (fulltimer) then you might look at the 315 option for fronts. A search will get you a lot of info on that switch.

Enjoy the ride...
+2 Steve has given excellent advice.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Those tires are the wrong size for your coach. The coach should have 295/80R22.5 LR H tires. The 75 profile will not carry the same weight at a given psi so for best performance you should go back to the OEM size. Tire brands are getting into a Ford/Chevy type argument. If you stick with one of the major manufacturers you will have pretty good national availability should you need a matching replacement. Don't be concerned about RV specific tires. There are only 2, the Goodyear G670 and the Michelin XRV. These tires both have had issues. The Goodyears exhibit an odd wear pattern when used on the steer axle and the Michelin seems prone to zipper failures. Currently these two tires seem to be the favorites in this size:
1. Michelin XZA2 Energy
2. Bridgestone R250

The FMCA or Monaco International buying program has made Michelin more affordable.

The idea that motorhome suspension systems are tuned to a specific tire is not based in reality.

Find an appropriate tire and get your coach weighed so you can set your tire inflation pressures. Have a chassis alinement done which includes ride height. Set your tag axle pressure for the best weight distribution and you are good to go.
Steve, that is the size my chancellor shows as original equipment, I don't think you can even get 295 75's any longer, if you recall my coach has 275 80 22.5's which actually have a slightly higher cap than the 295 75's and are virtually the same size, not to say that the 295 80's are not better, but they have excessive capacity on the tag axle coaches and I assume they are more expensive.

Moxy
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxy View Post

Steve, that is the size my chancellor shows as original equipment, I don't think you can even get 295 75's any longer, if you recall my coach has 275 80 22.5's which actually have a slightly higher cap than the 295 75's and are virtually the same size, not to say that the 295 80's are not better, but they have excessive capacity on the tag axle coaches and I assume they are more expensive.

Moxy
'03 and later Dynasty's were 295/80 OEM and the front axle rating was 14600. The problem with 295/75 size is that the rated axle weight can't be carried. The highest single rating is 6610 at 120 psi. The 295/80 is rated at 7320 at 115 psi. Being able to back off somewhat on the inflation pressure is a very good thing. The 80 profile gives a little better ride also.
Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #14

Thanks for all of the posts about tires for the Dynasty. I think that I will be looking for some Michelin's as that seems to be the popular choice. Should the drive tires be different from the steer tires? I usually like to have matching tires on my vehicles.

PAPA "J"

Tags
monaco, tires