RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2017, 03:38 PM   #1

In SoCal, do you store your RV inside or outside?

About to purchase our first RV. We live in Westlake Village, CA., a suburb of Los Angeles and it gets pretty hot here in the Summer. Indoor storage for 35-40 footers go for $450-$500 per month in our area, while outdoor storage is less than half that.

How many of you store your coach outside and what protective/preventative steps do you take? Would you dare store a new coach outside? Would a coach having a fiberglass roof hold up better? More frequent washes and waxes? A complete cover along with covering the tires?

Thanks for any help and advice you can give me.

mr buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2017, 03:51 PM   #2

For years I parked various RV's outdoors until 2005 when I bought a home "solely because it had a 56' x 20' motor home garage. The best thing that ever happened !!!!

It stays clean, no soot, no bird poop etc. I just wash it, put it away and when I use it all I have to do is to dust it off.

LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:01 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr buster View Post
About to purchase our first RV. We live in Westlake Village, CA., a suburb of Los Angeles and it gets pretty hot here in the Summer. Indoor storage for 35-40 footers go for $450-$500 per month in our area, while outdoor storage is less than half that.

How many of you store your coach outside and what protective/preventative steps do you take? Would you dare store a new coach outside? Would a coach having a fiberglass roof hold up better? More frequent washes and waxes? A complete cover along with covering the tires?

You didn't mention what RV you're getting. I built a garage for mine as we have a large enough lot to be able to do that. A neighbor of mine bought a country coach within a year of when I bought mine. Both were brand new. He stores his outside in the Palm Desert sun. He's religious about waxing his 2 times a year but his interior shows considerable more fading than mine. He doesn't want to cover it as he's afraid of the sand scratching the paint. His roof mounted items (air conditioner shrouds, sat. dish, etc) are fading and I think he's replaced roof vent covers once or twice. Last time we talked, he's considering new drapes/shades for all the windows. I pointed him towards Magna Shades a while back, but he hasn't done those yet. I think that would help considerably on his interior issues.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:06 PM   #4

We bought ours new and store ours at our house, but it is not covered. I wash it about 6-8 times year, and wax it about 2-3 times a year. I do all the work myself, and so far it still looks better than the day we took delivery. I have thought about covering it but it is difficult to put on/take off, and most likely will cause scratches to the paint at the corners. I keep the tires covered anytime it is stored.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:20 PM   #5

I've stored mine in Northridge for 2 years in our yard uncovered.
I have it detail waxed once a year or more.
No fading. I keep AC at 90.
For $400 or $500 a month I could it another coach.
I can't imagine not storing mine at home.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:42 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Covered storage is obviously better...but,
We store in a RV lot - covered:
Click image for larger version

Name:	0810131224a.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	569.0 KB
ID:	178576

*Just like L.A., covered storage in our part of SoCal is over $500 a month and higher.
*No RV storage is allowed at home in the 'burbs where we live.
*The cover prevents sun damage and reduces oxidation.

Yes, the cover is a hassle. But the option is increased roof damage from the sun, advanced hardening of the seals and plastics, and the obvious increased gel coat oxidation.

The cover goes on any time the RV will sit for more than a couple weeks. It has zippers near the doorway to allow easy access if needed. There's no scratches with the mid-grade covers (like Adco) if the RV is clean when covered.

Many, many folks cover their tires every time they stop for overnight or longer...why doesn't the same idea apply to the exterior of the RV?

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:48 PM   #7

We stored our RV outdoors for the first few months - but an indoor space 52'x15' (approx) opened up for $580/mo and I jumped on it. I have enough room in there to stand up on top of my RV and I'm 6'3". I keep the toad (Fiat 500) in there with my RV so I can save driveway space at home - I can also store different items that may or may not need to go with us on each trip, depending on destination/duration. Obviously the security and weather protection benefits are helpful in the land that never rains. It's pricey but soooo worth it in my opinion. It's always cool when I walk in, even on 90-100 degree days. As an added bonus there is a 20 amp outlet so the fridge never gets warm and the batteries stay charged. We keep the full wall slide open inside the unit to make access breeze.
RickySpanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:53 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
Covered storage is obviously better...but,
We store in a RV lot - covered:
Attachment 178576

*Just like L.A., covered storage in our part of SoCal is over $500 a month and higher.
Safe travels
Nice and tidy cover Sir, but the real reason for my reply is that I've had the pleasure of working with a "Mustang" during my stint in Naval Air, one of the coolest guys I've ever had the pleasure flying with. Many years have passed and I don't remember his name, but I do remember the man. Jim E. OKC
engine103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:17 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by engine103 View Post
...the real reason for my reply is that I've had the pleasure of working with a "Mustang" during my stint in Naval Air, one of the coolest guys I've ever had the pleasure flying with. Many years have passed and I don't remember his name, but I do remember the man. Jim E. OKC
Thank you for the comment.
And, thank you for your service
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:50 PM   #10

Live in Ventura County, store mine outside. I have RV parking (concrete pad) next to my house. Just wash and wax as needed. I know a guy that keeps his Entegra outside in Camarillo.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sespe View Post
Live in Ventura County, store mine outside. I have RV parking (concrete pad) next to my house. Just wash and wax as needed. I know a guy that keeps his Entegra outside in Camarillo.

Stationed on Pt Mugu twice. The weather there is perfect no need to cover. (Jealous)
carlgorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 02:11 AM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I'm in Moorpark. We've lived in this house for 33 years and have always had an RV. They've all been stored outside, uncovered, alongside the house. I would love to own a garage where I could park it inside, but I won't pay $6K a year for inside storage.

I do all my own work and the convenience of having the coach at the house is priceless, just wish I had room for a metal building to cover it. When we bought our Diplomat new in 2005, I bought a cover. We used it a few times, but gave up on it. We take the coach out at least once a month and several weeks at a time throughout the year and the cover was a pain.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 11:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr buster View Post

mr buster,
This is a dilemma that about 99.9% of RV owners face. The elements, as in the SUN, have detrimental effects on RV finishes. It doesn't matter WHAT kind of RV, no matter what kind of roof, the SUN is its enemy, without a doubt. When we lived in Ramona CA, a short 30 mile drive NE from Downtown San Diego, I had a slab along side the house that we parked our RVs on. Well, it was right at 20' wide and 55' long. I wanted a DRIVE UNDER cover. Well, doing a bit of investigation, I found out that a tube/canvas cover the size I wanted, i.e. 19' wide x 45' long, was a NO-NO with the county.

So, I built an 18' x 40' tube and canvas cover. I anchored it to the slab. That was a serious help in prolonging the longevity of our nice coach. It also was basically ILLEGAL in the eyes of the county. But, 99.9% of things like that are what's known as "complaint driven". Simply put, if no one (in your neighborhood) ever complains, you'd more than likely get away with it for years. I did.

As Don says, using a manually installed cover, as in the tarp style that you have to bust your a$$ on to get it on and off, really sucks. About 98% of the people that purchase those, use them once, maybe twice and, shi...can them due to the fact that it's just too darn much trouble to use.

But, in answer to your question, yep, the elements do take their toll on anything left out in the sun. And yes, A LOT more washing and waxing, including the ROOF if it's a fiberglass roof will be needed if the coach is left out. Did it for years before we built that cover.

When we moved to Lake Havasu City AZ, it was MANDATORY that we purchase a home with an RV garage. I will not EVER have it any other way. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:19 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
No fiberglass boat, RV etc. should be stored out in the open. Sun, Wind, Storm I would not own a RV if I could not store it in an enclosed Building. My 2000 Allegro Bus looks new as it is only in the Sun when we are traveling.