Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2014, 11:10 AM   #1

Unhappy In storage too long?

I have a 1990 Gillig chassis that has been in storage for a couple years, waiting for me to retired and travel. I have unsuccessfully tried to activate the HWH leveling system; however, the jacks will not extend. At first, I thought it was batteries, but they are good. When you push the auto extend, the system goes "dead". Any ideas as to the cause?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2014, 11:16 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquis View Post
I have a 1990 Gillig chassis that has been in storage for a couple years, waiting for me to retired and travel. I have unsuccessfully tried to activate the HWH leveling system; however, the jacks will not extend. At first, I thought it was batteries, but they are good. When you push the auto extend, the system goes "dead". Any ideas as to the cause?

Welcome here! When you state the batteries are good, did you just replace them? if not, did you have it plugged in over those years of storage and maintained them.......? First place to start is with the connections on the batteries after that long, inspect & clean, then move forward with a voltage meter and get readings to make sure that the leveling system is getting full voltage to operate properly......

Old 12-27-2014, 11:38 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did you try the manual buttons to see if you get a response?
Old 12-27-2014, 11:48 AM   #4

I will pull the coach out again and try the individual drop buttons. And recheck battery connections (I cleaned them 6 mos ago). I've wondered if the jacks are just stuck in up position. I could manually try and pry them lose, but only after unhooking the hydraulic lines. Guess I'm looking for that "simple/stupid" solution, first!
Old 12-27-2014, 12:01 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
You should hear the hydraulic pump start up to work the jacks? right? Did you hear the pump when using them before? I am going to say they are not stuck, there is no hydraulic pressure to move them.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:01 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Mine does this sometimes if I don't keep the batteries at full charge. Charge the batteries first before any thing else. The going dead indicates a loss of current. I have to have a full charged battery and the coach running to extend the jacks. Hope this helps..
T Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 12:28 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Gibson View Post
Mine does this sometimes if I don't keep the batteries at full charge. Charge the batteries first before any thing else. The going dead indicates a loss of current. I have to have a full charged battery and the coach running to extend the jacks. Hope this helps..
TGibson... this is off topic... but... I love your signature! not sure who rescued who. That is sweet!
MartySQ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:19 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Locate the pump and motor and check and clean all the electrical connections. If that doesn't do it, have someone activate one of the jack extend controls - power on of course - and start grounding out every electrical connection to see if the pump motor will activate. An HWH tech walked me through that procedure and I found a bad connection and broken internal wire in one of the pump motor solenoids.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:19 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
How old are the batteries? Are you sure of charge on the batteries? Are you sure the batteries are good. Sounds to me like you have a battery that is shorting under load. This condition will show charge but when load is applied they fail, but will take slow light load.

LEN
Old 12-28-2014, 08:14 PM   #10

Thanks for all the replies. I'm doing Christmas visiting right now, but when I get back home, I'll carefully recheck the batteries. The more I realize how time flys, I may be better off replacing them and the 25 year old battery lines. The more I digest what everyone is suggesting, the more I believe the batteries are failing.
Thanks for all the input. Marquis
Old 12-28-2014, 08:49 PM   #11

Did you turn on the salesmen switch. My levelers turn on but will not extend or retract with the switch in the off position.

2007 45' HR Navigator, 525 Cummins, 2010 Dodge Journey, ReadyBrute Elite
Northernaire is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage