Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2011, 10:21 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford B View Post
I started with the Hoskins and was very disappointed with it. Constantly lost signal from tires and alarmed. Didn't want to buy additional repeater. Ended up with the Truck System Technologies TPM and have been very happy with it. No repeater needed on my 37' MH and it has been very reliable. $300 for 6 tire setup and your choice of replacable batteries or replacable sensor.
+ 1 on the TST system. Been using the same kit on two different motorhomes now for two years. No problems. Using the special tool to remove the sensors to add air is not really an issue. I just check the pressures on the system every morning and go. I find I pretty much go all season without having to remove the sensors since I know the pressures are correct just my reading the monitor. The newer systems are available with or without replaceable batteries. Mine are the older non-replaceable types but they have been going strong for two years now. They auto shut down when the monitor is off.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2011, 10:43 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'll throw in my vote for the TST (Truck System Technologies) TPMS. I just bought a mod 507, 10 tire system from Plug It Right . Diana was great to deal with. I wish more suppliers were like them. Plus I think they are a vendor here on iRV2. The units were on sale for less then buying direct from TST. I'm very happy with my system. Like Hal, don't know how I got by without it.

I'd also like to add that I had our coach weighed and now I know EXACTLY how much pressure to run in each tire. I had ours weighed at Escapees in Livingston, TX. They weigh each corner, not just the axle. I also now know that I've gotta go on a diet. http://www.irv2.com/forums/images/smilies/angel.gif

Kerry B.

BABrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:54 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary1965 View Post
I just bought the Tire-Safeguard. Total cost depends on, of course, how many wheels and whether you are adding your toad. I called Dion Elrod 818-400-9976. Very helpful, answered all of my questions, received my order in just a few days. Plus, told me to call him 7 days a week at this number if I had problems. Good luck !
Dion is a great guy to work with. He has assisted me over the phone and at the FMCA Rally in Indio he went thru my complete system and replaced 3 of the sensors with newer models.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:13 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Best system is a hammer and thump the tires every stop
VietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:33 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

You are correct about thumping tires at stops if you don't have a TPMS but what about between stops while on the road. You are assuming that you have a slow leak and will find it while thumping. What if the leak is faster. I have been known to drive for six or seven hours straight. I want to know if that tire is losing pressure. If you drive on a tire with low pressure without knowing it then it is going to overheat and damage the tire. It may not come apart right then but you sure just increase your chances of a the dreaded zipper flat and that is an abrupt flat. If it is on the front you are in trouble especially if the DW is driving. If it is on the back then you are probably going to have damage. That TPMS is going to tell you that tire pressure has dropped and you can pull over and call for help and maybe save that tire and just get it fixed.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:05 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
You are correct about thumping tires at stops if you don't have a TPMS but what about between stops while on the road. You are assuming that you have a slow leak and will find it while thumping. What if the leak is faster. I have been known to drive for six or seven hours straight. I want to know if that tire is losing pressure. If you drive on a tire with low pressure without knowing it then it is going to overheat and damage the tire. It may not come apart right then but you sure just increase your chances of a the dreaded zipper flat and that is an abrupt flat. If it is on the front you are in trouble especially if the DW is driving. If it is on the back then you are probably going to have damage. That TPMS is going to tell you that tire pressure has dropped and you can pull over and call for help and maybe save that tire and just get it fixed.
Also for the toad. There is no way you would feel a flat on the toad until serious damage is probably done.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:04 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VietVet
Best system is a hammer and thump the tires every stop
What is your psi accuracy +/-, with the thumping method? LOL
Old 03-28-2011, 04:38 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthewall View Post
What is your psi accuracy +/-, with the thumping method? LOL
5 PSI Too many false positives with TPMS. If you are paying attention to all indicators in your operation environment you will know when someting is not right.
VietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:15 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VietVet View Post
5 PSI Too many false positives with TPMS. If you are paying attention to all indicators in your operation environment you will know when someting is not right.
False Positives? What does that even mean? I have checked my TPMS many times with my truck gauge and a quality digital gauge. They all read exactly the same. To state that hitting the tires with a hammer is more accurate is nonsense. There is no way that you will know if an inside rear dual or a toad tire is slowly going down while driving until it is too late.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:37 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by offthewall View Post

There is no way that you will know if an inside rear dual or a toad tire is slowly going down while driving until it is too late.
I totally agree with you !!!

I had a cargo trailer tire blowout in the Yukon last summer traveling from Alaska back to the lower 48. If it wasn't for my Doran TPMS I would not have known or stopped until either someone had told me, (yeah right!) or the trailer wheel well and the adjacent tire had completely been destroyed. Once something like that happens, you may as well tell yourself that you're going to be staying on the side of the road for a very long time let alone the inconvenience of delaying your travels until all of the repairs can be made to continue.

As it was, Coach-net was notified, service guy was there within an hour and had my spare on and back on the road with no damage about 20 minutes later.

I've been a believer for a long time and I will not move my coach unless the TPMS is on and working properly.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Doran TPMS-1.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	9054  
Old 03-28-2011, 08:04 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

VietVet, you will have to expalin your "Too many false positives" statement. I am not so worried about any false positives as I am valid negatives. As with flying an aircraft you NEVER ignore your instruments. You never ignore a low pressure or high temperature reading. You pull over and check it. Now I agree with a tuned ear you can tell by a thump if the tire is inflated but I would argue that it is no where near within 5 psi, maybe as a guess 20 psi on a tire that has 110 psi in it to start. The problem is that when you walk around and thump tires the key is hearing a different thump sound on a tire. That is OK if all the tires are at the same tire pressure but on my MH I run three different tire pressures so I can't have that comparison and difference that is going to key my brain that something is different is not there. I would have to compare tires of equal pressure against each other to know if one was low. Now what if the other tire compared was also low. Talk about a false positive. I get almost a 20 psi pressure change from a cold tire to a hot tire so now there is another factor that throws off the tump sound. Maybe as a experienced truck driver doing it all the time for years one can tell the difference but I say the majority of the RV owners cannot. If no TPMS then thumping tires is better than nothing but in no way can replace the fast acting while driving warning system that something has changed with a tire and you have to pull over and check it NOW. I have thumped tires and now I have a TPMS and I can assure you that the TPMS is the way to go. A lot of truck drivers are now installing TPMS.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkie0720 View Post
I am in the market for a Tire Monitor Preasure,does anyone knows the best ,and trouble free.And best price. Thanks for your help
Although I can't yet comment about "the best, and trouble free", I have been following this thread (and others) regarding a TPMS.

I decided to order the Tire Minder system from Camping World. I need the HD (high pressure) system with 10 sensors and a repeater. After I submitted the order, I saw that the parts are all on backorder; expected delivery April 24. A little more searching showed the HawksHead system available on this site: Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems . The complete system (Pressure Track HD4, 10 sensors and wired repeater) sells for $485, that's $85 less than the TireMinder system from Camping World. Not only that, as a Virginia resident, the Camping world order required a sales tax charge of $28.50. Shipping & handling from BestRVStuff.com was the same. Further, BestRVStuff.com has the HawksHead system in stock, shipping today. I cancelled the Camping World order.

So, in a week, or so, I can add to "the best, and trouble free" part of the conversation.

Take care,
Stu
Old 03-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I ran a 10 tire TST system for almost one year. I had repeated sensor failures requiring replacement, and had two toad flats caused by sensors coming loose. I frequently tightened all the sensors, tried teflon tape, etc. The best part was the customer service ...they were great. I finally returned the entire system. I now have the TireTraker It is the same system as Hawkshead and Tire Minder under yet another name. It performs great. I do sometimes have the false leaking indicator someone else mentioned sometimes shortly after pulling off the highway. My manual indicates this possibility and connects it to quick cooling of a tire. A glance at the reported psi tells me it is a false warnin, and by the time I finish refueling or whatever, it has cancelled the warning.
Old 03-30-2011, 01:01 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
As with flying an aircraft you NEVER ignore your instruments. You never ignore a low pressure or high temperature reading. You pull over and check it.
I want to see this.