Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2014, 10:19 AM   #15

Yes. Slow and steady. I'm thinking I should plan for a week. To account for whatever along the way. Thanks for the insight!

Rickmc & Moski
Still Searching for that right one!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2014, 02:56 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Beware. Driving that many miles each day is very tiring. I know that most of us that own DPs say they drive like luxury sedans down the road and that is true but a 30,000lbs of bus takes a lot of attention and the weather can be a big factor. It can humble you very easily. Also getting used to air brakes takes some time to get comfortable with. Take your time and be careful.
Welcome to the Newmar family. You will be very happy with that rig. I love the company and my rig.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts
Apple Valley CA
2006 Newmar Kountry Star KSDP3910 Spartan MM Chassis 370ISL Cummins
2002 Saturn SL2

Old 08-06-2014, 03:26 PM   #17

As an otr driver I drove from Bradenton Fl to Los Angeles in 4 days. I kept the cruise at 65. Try not to hit the big cities during the rush times. I averaged 500 to 550 miles a day. As mentioned taking I10 to I12 to I10 is your best bet. Try to fill up when you stop for the night. I would suggest you also have at least a 1/4 tank of water when you start out. This way your wife can use the facilities as she needs to. That way you are the the deciding factor when you need to stop. I always had sandwiches made so that I did not have to stop to eat and drinks. I would eat breakfast before I started driving and dinner when I stopped for the night.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:08 PM   #18

Thanks for all the great advice! Based on all of your inputs I've decided to adjust our schedule and take six days to get back to Florida. This should allow us time to take a nice easy ride home.

We really appreciate your feedback. Your comments made us aware that our excitement about picking up our our new to us 2008 Newmar Kountry Star 3910 blinded us from reality! I'm so grateful you took the time to set us straight!!

Thank you!

Rickmc & Moski
DP?
Still looking!!!
Old 08-06-2014, 09:56 PM   #19

We are retired so not in much of a hurry.......

In April this year we drove from Artesia New Mexico to Ocala Florida and took 5 days to do it.....1625 Miles.......We did not drive any interestate except for about 15 miles...US 84 east bound to Valdosta GA then US 41 South to Ocala but remember we only drive about 300 miles per day and started 600 miles closer than you are starting.....Take it easy and enjoy the country.......If I had to hurry then I would take I-10 from Fort Stockton TX to I-12 to I -10 to I-75 and complain/bit*h all the way...........but no more hurry for me......

Mike
Old 08-06-2014, 10:17 PM   #20
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
While your stopped to rest you can read this Brochure and Owners Guide for your coach so you have some idea how things work.
When you have time in my signature below are other links that will relate to your Newmar.
Congratulations and welcome to the Newmar family and do have safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:26 PM   #21

We drove from Apache Junction to Baton Rouge, La in 4 days but only one day did we drive over 8 hours. We left apache junction on Hwy 60 to Globe then 70 to Lordsburg then I-10 all the home. Just keep an eye on the fuel as west of San Antonia they are a little scarce. Have a safe trip.
Harry
Old 08-07-2014, 07:57 PM   #22

If you are a Moose Lodge or Elks Lodge member, think about stopping at a lodge along the way. there are a couple of wonderful Moose lodges right off I-10 in Penacola and Tallahassee, FL with electric hookups. Great place to spend the night.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:39 PM   #23

I10 thru Louisiana is a rough ride Otherwise I remember it as a pleasant drive For myself I try to limit driving time per day to 6 hours MH driving with the proper attention can be tiring Tired drivers are more likely to make mistakes Mistakes driving a MH can have serious consequences Don't mean to lecture but just my thoughts Good luck!
Old 08-11-2014, 06:26 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by koda59 View Post
As an otr driver I drove from Bradenton Fl to Los Angeles in 4 days. I kept the cruise at 65. Try not to hit the big cities during the rush times. I averaged 500 to 550 miles a day. As mentioned taking I10 to I12 to I10 is your best bet. Try to fill up when you stop for the night. I would suggest you also have at least a 1/4 tank of water when you start out. This way your wife can use the facilities as she needs to. That way you are the the deciding factor when you need to stop. I always had sandwiches made so that I did not have to stop to eat and drinks. I would eat breakfast before I started driving and dinner when I stopped for the night.
Good advice here ^^^^. To the OP, you don't mention your age, driving patterns, or normal daily schedule and these factors heavily influence what you can reasonably expect. When we travel Interstate routes and are destination driven our normal schedule is 6am to 6pm with the cruise set on 65mph. This time frame provides plenty of time for rest stops, grabbing a bite to eat, planning where to stop, and getting a good nites rest while covering 500+ miles per day. I'm not familiar with your coach but we can travel 500 miles on a tank of fuel easily. Just fill up when you leave each morning or before you park it for the day. If a 12 hour stint is not within your comfort zone adjust accordingly, apply your best estimate of the speed at which you'll be comfortable and recalculate. It's relatively easy to average 60mph on the Interstates when you consider you don't have to stop for fuel and the DW can use the facilities in flight. 9 hours of actual drive time should net you 450-500 miles daily with ease.

Congrats on your purchase and above all be safe out there!
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:17 AM   #25

Thanks to all for the suggestions and opinions! Flying to Vegas on the 8/28, rental car to Ft. Mohave AZ to pickup the new to us 08 KSDP 3910 on 8/29. Heading east to Ocala FL on I40 with stops in Winslow, Amarillo, Dallas, Shreveport, Pensacola and home to Ocala by Thursday 9/4.

Nice way to break into Class A RV'ing!!

Thanks Newmar Owners Forum!!!

Rickmc & Moski
Old 08-15-2014, 03:50 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmc View Post
Thanks to all for the suggestions and opinions! Flying to Vegas on the 8/28, rental car to Ft. Mohave AZ to pickup the new to us 08 KSDP 3910 on 8/29. Heading east to Ocala FL on I40 with stops in Winslow, Amarillo, Dallas, Shreveport, Pensacola and home to Ocala by Thursday 9/4.

Nice way to break into Class A RV'ing!!

Thanks Newmar Owners Forum!!!

Rickmc & Moski
Sounds like a good plan! Be safe and drive extra cautious as you'll be traveling over the Labor Day weekend.
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:56 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
OK, so now you HAVE to let us know how the trip goes....please?
Old 08-15-2014, 06:05 PM   #28

We are planning on it!

Rickmc & Moski

Tags
advice