Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2014, 09:31 PM   #1

Inaugural Kountry Star Trip AZ to FL Need Some Advice

Hello to all!
The good news - We have finally found our new to us DP motor home. We are buying a 2008 Newmar Kountry Star 3910.
The not so good news - We will be flying to Arizona to pick it up.
The bad news - We've got 4 days and about 2100 miles to get it back to Central Florida due to DW work schedules. Oh yeah, I've driven a 40' RV for a total of 40 miles!

I'm looking for any suggestions that will provide the best straight shot while avoiding any known interstate trouble spots along the way. Wish I had more time, but too good of a deal to pass up because of distance.

Thanks in advance!

Rickmc & Moski
DP?
Still looking!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2014, 09:49 PM   #2

Interstate 10 from Phoenix until you get to the north side of Florida it's only miles..........O' yes a few hours too......

You don't say where you pick it up and where you are going and both of those states are fairly large.........

Mike

Old 08-05-2014, 09:59 PM   #3
KIX

Depending on where you srrat back East...........I-10 or I'40 to Amarillo the 289 to Dallas then I-20 to Jackson, MS then 98/49 to Mobile, AL then I-10.
Personally, I think you are biting off more than you can comfortably chew. I hope you can make it work out.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:02 PM   #4

I-10 to I-12, then I-12 to I-10 that will get you to Fl. Drove it myself. You will really need to push it in a MH to make it in 4 days.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:35 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Instead of trying to push a long trip in something you are not familiar with why not make a route that you like. Start looking for storage along the way and then stop and store it then take the plane back the rest of the way. Then when you can get off again go back and get it. Alternative suggestion :

I am retired. I have a 38 ft tiffin allegro bus. Right now the wife is doing a small contract job in Tulsa Oklahoma ( about 2 hours from us)Her parents live in Tulsa so she took the job so she could see them a bit more. We have the motor home in Tulsa and we are staying in it until the job is finished. I miss driving my motor home until this job is finished. Fly to Phoenix, Pick up your motor home. Drive to Tulsa. Take a plane home from Tulsa and I can drive your motor home to florida for you. I am a retired postal service employee. I have had my MH for two years. Two months after I bought it I drove to LA by myself for a week. My wife flew out to LA and then I drove to San Fransisco and back through Utah to Arkansas. In the two years we have had it we have put about 15,000 miles on it. I have a spotless driving record. If you are interested msg me and we can discuss it.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:27 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Leave the DW in Fl. and take your time getting used to the coach and getting it home. Or store it as mentioned above for a more appropriate time for both of you.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIX View Post
Depending on where you srrat back East...........I-10 or I'40 to Amarillo the 289 to Dallas then I-20 to Jackson, MS then 98/49 to Mobile, AL then I-10.
Personally, I think you are biting off more than you can comfortably chew. I hope you can make it work out.

Kix
That for the info! That looks like a solid route avoiding I10 for as long as possible. Going to take a slow steady roll back to Ocala!

Thanks!

Rickmc & Moski
Still Searching for that right one!!!
Old 08-06-2014, 06:53 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
rickmc,

It can be done, but it's not really the "recommended" way to do it!

We did something similar last year under similar circumstances; we bought our "project" RV (a 32' Itasca) from a guy in Salt Lake City. We flew out on a Thursday and picked it up and headed east back to South Carolina, but blew a waterpump in the middle of nowhere on Friday after a detour to Moab and heading towards the Grand Canyon (I won't go into the details of that adventure here....) After getting back on the road on the following Tuesday afternoon, we shut the unit down only to fuel, grab a bite to eat, restroom break, or driver rest (a couple of hours at a time stretched out on the sofa....). Made it back to Florence, SC by Friday morning in one piece, but it was a push.

Just keep in mind that pushing a large Class A down the interstate at 3am
while tired is not exactly the best way to do things...

Be safe, use your best judgement and, above all. be safe... it would be a trip you always remember for both the good and the bad!!

Kyle
Old 08-06-2014, 07:18 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I hope you checked the age of the tires. If they are the original ones that came with the coach, WATCH OUT! You are taking a chance driving that far on 6-7 year old tires.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by super_rep View Post
I hope you checked the age of the tires. If they are the original ones that came with the coach, WATCH OUT! You are taking a chance driving that far on 6-7 year old tires.

All
Great inputs! Opened my eyes! Thankfully tires are less than a year old and 3rd party inspection will take place prior to pick up.
I'm thinking of using the whole week and just take my time. Might have to go solo.

Thanks for your inputs!

Rickmc & Moski
Old 08-06-2014, 09:14 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Smart decision! We made about the same trip but only to central AL in four days from Phoenix. It was a hard trip and both of us drove. Worn out. Had no problems except weather. Won't do that again!
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:53 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just courious, what is the length(Distance) of this trip as described by the OP?
IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMDSailor View Post
Just courious, what is the length(Distance) of this trip as described by the OP?

Trip is about 2100 miles door to door. I'm only planning to travel during daylight hours.

Rickmc & Moski
Old 08-06-2014, 10:09 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmc View Post
Trip is about 2100 miles door to door. I'm only planning to travel during daylight hours.

Rickmc & Moski
YIKES!. Thats about 10-12hrs/day on the road.

IMDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice