Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2015, 09:44 AM   #1

Increase noise

I have a 2002 Cummins 8.3 330hp. When I start it, it sounds realitively quite after running about 30 seconds it gets noticeably louder. It does not matte if it is hot or cold it does the same thing. I have good oil pressure 40lbs when hot at idle and 65lbs going down the road. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you find .

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2015, 10:34 AM   #2

What you hear is probably the air compressor running. Since it is mounted on the motor directly It's perceived as motor noise. Sound should shift to a lower level after the air system reaches its preset pressure.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:41 PM   #3

Unfortunately the sound does not decrease when the compressor unloades.
Old 02-21-2015, 12:47 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi cseidel,
Can you expand a bit on the noise. Is it clacking, grinding, whining, clinging, squeaking, etc.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:00 PM   #5

I guess the closets I could get to it would be like a main bearing rattle when you start a high mileage engine.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:41 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I don't think anyone will be able to diagnose on the internet, but have you ever heard the term "Rattle Bucket". Older diesels "rattle". I've heard the term used a lot on the early Dodge trucks that rattled like crazy, compared to the new engines. It's probably typical of your engine, unless this just started.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:58 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi cseidel

I have an 04 350 ISC and it does the same thing, I think it's normal engine noise but it is a noticeable increase. And like you said it doesn't matter if it's cold or warmed up, always the same.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:59 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi cseidel,
Thanks for clearing up the noise. We have the same engine. All I can tell you is my Cummins make more noise than I would like. However, during the annual maintenance (at certified Cummins shops) the techs say the amount of noise is normal. After 99K miles, the engine runs the same as the day it was delivered to me.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:09 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
My ISC does the same thing. On some of the earlier trucks I have driven they would do that due to a timing advance system. When you started them they would sound one way and after start up the timing would advance and the sound would change.
I have just assumed that this is what is occurring and nothing to worry about.
Old 02-21-2015, 11:01 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for all the comments. It makes me feel better knowing mine is not the only 8.3 doing that. Slickist1, I had thought about possible timing advance, that makes a lot of sense
Old 02-22-2015, 10:13 AM   #11

I have a 2000 isc 350 hp that does the same thing also. The timing change thing makes sense. Good to know. Thank you for the info.