Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-15-2014, 04:57 PM   #1
Independent front suspension alignments

How often is it geneally necessary to have the front end aligned on coaches with the IFS? My current coach has the front I-beam suspension and hasn't needed any alignment in over 10 years but my last two coaches had the Chev front coil spring suspension and I had to get them re-aligned every couple of years. That was 12-16 years ago so maybe the newer larger coaches are better equipped to handle the IFS without any problems.

wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2014, 01:34 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
It has been about 10 years since I had the front IFS aligned and I have seen no unusual tire ware.

Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:41 AM   #3
Put new tires on the Eagle with IFS 2 years ago, drove it onto the alignment apparatus and after the tech finished his work he handed me the report that stated everything was in specification and no alignment was required.

Coach was 14 years old at the time with around 74K miles on the clock at the time.

Close to 85K now and drives like a dream with no unusual tire wear (and in reality no tire wear) on the Hankook AH12's based upon my visual and Speedco's tire inspection last July.

Spartan MM Chassis .
1998 American Eagle 40EVS
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:48 AM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Figgering it couldn't hurt, I added an alignment to the "To Do List" a couple years ago. Fronts were actually pretty good, but the report came back indicating an out-of-alignment REAR axle, which the shop was not equipped to adjust. But that's a different story. \ken
Ken & Deb (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, Harvest Hosts, and grateful volunteers with SOWERs)
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/400ISL and Allison 3000MH on Freightliner's Evolution chassis, Onan QD7500, 1000w Renogy solar, BlueOx tow gear, and 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:52 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't think an IFS in general needs alignment any more than a solid axle, but maybe your P30's IFS was prone to getting out of line. For one thing, it is sensitive to air bag pressure - increasing or decreasing the air in the bags changes the angles on the front end and will affect the alignment. And leaky bags were common back in the day.

My IFS (ZFS on a Freightliner chassis) stays rock solid.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:49 PM   #6
Glad to get the good information on the IFS. Trying to order my first IFS, tag axle, motor home with disc brakes, and a 1/2 bath extra. All the extra different information has certainly been overwhelming not to mention all the new electrical technology that has to be learned. Teaching an old dog new tricks is no easy task.

wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote