Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
Coached - I certainly hope your Rev has a front axle as you need one to go down the road. But to use a Jeff as an example of good handling or smooth ride is not a good one. Jeeps are very good off road and built tough, but the ones I have been in do not ride well. Here is a quote from Consumer Reports about the 2012 Jeep Wrangler "Although the Jeep is better than it has ever been, it's seriously outdated. The ride rocks and jiggles constantly, "

That Jeep comes with solid front Axle. As I said in my previous post, solid front axle is a step backwards in ride, turning circle, and stability.
My Rev has a front solid axle as opposed to independantly suspended front wheels, which do not (hence IFS) which is the subject at hand? I'm not qualified to comment on how a Jeff rides but I am seriously qualified to comment on Jeeps. I have had at least two in my family continuously since 1976, almost all Grand Cherokees. My GC Limited (Diesel) rides as nice as any vehicle in that price range should, and, yes, it will go off road - probably much further than most People realize after seeing how nicely it drives on "real" road.

Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coached View Post
My Rev has a front solid axle as opposed to independantly suspended front wheels, which do not (hence IFS) which is the subject at hand? I'm not qualified to comment on how a Jeff rides but I am seriously qualified to comment on Jeeps. I have had at least two in my family continuously since 1976, almost all Grand Cherokees. My GC Limited (Diesel) rides as nice as any vehicle in that price range should, and, yes, it will go off road - probably much further than most People realize after seeing how nicely it drives on "real" road.
LOL! Coached, Just a little friendly leg-pulling ... he was quoting from what you had written ...

Quote:
My Rev has a front axle, so does my Jeep...
and naughty naughty you edited out where you typoed Jeff instead of Jeep, which is why he wrote it.

All in good fun!

Kathryn

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:45 PM   #17
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No one has talked about utility. Don't most of the Big Rigs on the road still rely on solid axel front ends? There's something to be said for the basic strength of the ol' solid steel I-beam!

IFS is high(er) tech and involves more moving parts. That's not always a good thing.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #18

Big tractors also have air-seats and stuff to cushion the ride. Tough, yes, good riding, no.

Steve
Old 06-23-2012, 12:20 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'll take your word(s) on the "Jeff" thing 'cause I don't remember correcting any typo, but, I don't remember lots of things I've forgotten. As for the ride quality of IFS compared to solid front axle? Man, it's hard to imagine a coach riding nicer than mine without having at least another quarter million of my dollars invested in it? However, when I see so many folks on here running 120+ pounds in their front tires, buying "value" tires thinking they're gonna get Michelin characteristics, and putting the biggest, baddest shocks they can find to eliminate "porpoising", it's no wonder the ride is harsh. If you're actually feeling the relief cuts in the road, or the transitions on to and off bridges to the point where it's bothering you? I don't ever get that stuff .... my coach rides better than most cars I've owned. I took my Buddy to Indiana with me a couple of weeks ago and he said it's like "floating". I don't see the big deal surrounding IFS but that's just mine.
Coached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #20
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
As for the ride quality of IFS compared to solid front axle? Man, it's hard to imagine a coach riding nicer than mine without having at least another quarter million of my dollars invested in it? .... my coach rides better than most cars I've owned. I took my Buddy to Indiana with me a couple of weeks ago and he said it's like "floating". I don't see the big deal surrounding IFS but that's just mine.
Here, here!! on the quality ride of a modern solid axle. My W24 rides like a limo and the front end ride is better than the rear, which makes me understand why some front engine rigs like mine have an airbag option for the rear.
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 06-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #21
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post
Big tractors also have air-seats and stuff to cushion the ride. Tough, yes, good riding, no.

Steve
Big Rigs have a rough ride, yes. They often carrying engines and tranny's weighing over 3,000lb on the front axle not to mention the thousands of pounds riding on the rears (just a few feet from the drivers seat) so air seats are expected equipment.

Even with the ride improvements seen in IFS, most Long Haul trucks still use a solid axle because they are very strong and work well.

And, here's an IFS vs. Solid Axle comparison: Take a modern Jeep Wrangler (4 corner coil springs - on -solid axles) vs. HMMWV/H1 Hummer (4 wheel coil - on - independant suspension). The Hummer will go over terrain that MIGHT stick the Jeep, but ask any military motor pool mechanic and they will tell you that the H1 is a huge headache because of all the moving parts.

I'm just offering something to think about
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 06-24-2012, 12:51 AM   #22

Okay - I can't stand it!

Gonna hafta go out and do some actual research, see what the pros say. Update later.

Kathryn

Old 06-24-2012, 02:43 AM   #23

Okay! I REALLY could have used my time on more important things for the last 2 hours, but that's what happens when you are compulsive ...

The following are some excerpts from several articles ...

Quote:
Since man first rode in a wheeled vehicle, he has tried to solve the problem of "feeling every bump in the road". In modern cars today, much is determined by whether a rigid axle binds the wheels or if the wheels are permitted to move independently. The former arrangement is known as a dependent system, while the latter arrangement is known as an independent system.

Dependent front suspensions have a rigid front axle that connects the front wheels. Basically, this looks like a solid bar under the front of the car, kept in place by springs and shock absorbers. Common on trucks because comfort was seldom an issue, dependent front suspensions haven't been used in mainstream cars for years. (Blue emphasis mine)

In Independent Front Suspension (IFS) the front wheels are allowed to move independently of the other wheel on that axle. The MacPherson strut, developed by Earle S. MacPherson of General Motors in 1947, is the most widely used front suspension system. This system allows one wheel to drop or bounce over surface irregularities while the other remains stable, not only significantly increasing smoothness of the ride, but allowing easier steering and more control since both wheels remain in viable contact with the surface.

Independent suspensions come in many different forms, but they all share a common feature: They always incorporate a spring. The spring is what allows each wheel to move independently and absorb shock, making for a smoother ride and less wear on the axle. Unlike a solid axle, it is also possible to realign an independent suspension.

Then I spent some time trying to find a video demo of the system. Wow! That is one heck of a link address, but if it doesn't come out as a working link in this post, you can highlight and copy it into your browser address bar. The first one is about 3 minutes showing the actual effects IFS has on a large, heavy truck based vehicle.

The second one is only about 30 seconds, but it gets the message across ... in its own way ...

1. Yahoo! Video Detail for Pierce TAK-4 Independent Front Suspension

2. NISSAN PATHFINDER INDEPENDANT SUSPENSION - YouTube

Kathryn

Old 06-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #24

I was thinking of saying something.....video....boobs.....

OOOOOHhh, yes. I think your putting to much thought into the one item that will have the least effect upon your coach.

If you get the chance go test drive a few different styles. I'll bet you'll find some IFS that ride like crap and some solid front axle that ride great. Along with the other way around.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension