Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2015, 09:22 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless View Post
Does good mean "Stainless Steel" I was told the pan just had to be flat? What is this about a magnet?
You might have regular electric stove top not an induction top. Does the glass top get warm when on and no pan is present?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2015, 10:28 AM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use the other brand of Induction Cooktop (not the Nu-Wave) works about the same.. I like it. but I also use a resitive burner for those cases where I am using a pan a magnet is not attracted to.. If the pan does not attract magnets induciton cooktop will not work.

I use gas only when I need a LOT of heat, A lOT of burners or a BIG oven (Which has nothing to do with the induction cooker... I also have a medium size electric oven)

Old 09-08-2015, 07:08 PM   #17

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
We bought a Duxtop 1800 watt single burner unit from Amazon a year and half ago and have never opened up our gas cooktop since. We liked the looks of the other famous unit (TrueInduction, I think it is called does look sexier) , but the front of the Duxtop had a slope on it, and all the touch controls were there and that appealed to me (easier to keep clean). We thought about a double burner, but my wife told me she has never cooked with more than one burner at a time since we bought the RV...so we concluded one burner was enough, and so far that has proved to be the case. Besides, for $86, it was a small risk...one that we would definitely do again now that we have it. People complain about the fan noise...it comes on automatically when you turn it on and stays on until it cools down unless you unplug it from the wall. It is noisy, similar to the fan on your convection micro when you use it. Yes, the pan should be flat and if a magnet won't stick to it, then it won't work with an induction cooktop. The Duxtop has rubber feet and we just leave it on the counter when we travel and it doesn't move around...even when I bounced so hard the refrig doors popped open. My wife doesn't like cooking with gas (you won't find me saying anymore about that!), and is real happy with the Duxtop. Plenty of power and it runs fine on 110.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:07 PM   #18
epj

Good for cooking things that you boil. Delicate frying, such as an over easy egg, not so much. The quality of your pan will make a difference as well. Not going to throw out my electric griddle just yet.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:59 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the good info. we were interested in using it outside , running it on a extension cord to shore power post. Did I understand that the burner could be set at several different settings. So that you could do breakfast ( eggs, bacon etc. ) ? If we use it inside, ( connecting to coach outlet ) will I be able to use AC & etc. or does it draw to much power. Thanks again
Old 09-09-2015, 10:46 AM   #20
KC

Most newer pans will list if they are induction ready!!

KC
Old 09-09-2015, 04:12 PM   #21
epj

Quote:
Originally Posted by WV Bum View Post
Thanks for the good info. we were interested in using it outside , running it on a extension cord to shore power post. Did I understand that the burner could be set at several different settings. So that you could do breakfast ( eggs, bacon etc. ) ? If we use it inside, ( connecting to coach outlet ) will I be able to use AC & etc. or does it draw to much power. Thanks again
You should be able to use the outlet in your kitchen unless you have a bunch of other appliances plugged into the same circuit at the same time.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:21 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have two seperate units in our coach and the wife loves them. Right off hand I can't recall the brands but they are both different. You just have the correct pots and pans to use them. They have never been a load problem on the kitchen circuit.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 11:56 AM   #23

yes, they run off of 110 and a good extension works fine. I use mine outside when we fry hamburgers or cook fish to keep the smell from inside.
Old 10-02-2015, 12:49 PM   #24

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For almost a year and a half I never really used my motorhome's stovetop. Used it to boil water once, and once to prepare Jiffy Pop popcorn.

I purchased a NuWave induction cooktop and used it exclusively when coking indoors. It's easy to use and good for most daily cooking. But then.....

My kids and I wanted some fried chicken. Not any old pan-fried or deep fried chicken, it had to be one of my Kentucky Fried Chicken copy-cat recipes. That requires me to heat oil at 350F degrees in a six quart pressure cooker, (designed for pressure frying).

I thought it would be no problem whatsoever for my handy dandy NuWave Induction Cooktop. After all, even the YouTube and television commercials show them frying food with it!! How could it possibly fail???!

The reality is that the standard NuWave PIC sold in stores and online operates at only 1300 Watts. I discovered that it took over 50 minutes to get the oil to 350F degrees in the very heavy Fagor stainless steel six quart pressure cooker. And even then, when placing the chicken into the pot, the temperature immediately dropped and took another 20 minutes to recover. That destroyed the recipe with a total cook time of 15 minutes under pressure.

I called The customer service folks at NuWave, and was immediately offered un "upgrade" to their NuWave Pro induction cooktop that operates at 1500 Watts. I no longer had the original purchase receipt in my possession, so I did not qualify to purchase the Pro model at the "upgrade" price.

I have used the NuWave inductioin cooktop outside with a cast iron grill pan for cooking salmon, (faster than setting up the propane or charcoal grills for a piece of fish).

So, there you have it. It can be used outdoors. But, it's not very powerful if you want to deep fry anything or host a lobster boil.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:15 PM   #25

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post
For almost a year and a half I never really used my motorhome's stovetop. Used it to boil water once, and once to prepare Jiffy Pop popcorn.

I purchased a NuWave induction cooktop and used it exclusively when coking indoors. It's easy to use and good for most daily cooking. But then.....

My kids and I wanted some fried chicken. Not any old pan-fried or deep fried chicken, it had to be one of my Kentucky Fried Chicken copy-cat recipes. That requires me to heat oil at 350F degrees in a six quart pressure cooker, (designed for pressure frying).

I thought it would be no problem whatsoever for my handy dandy NuWave Induction Cooktop. After all, even the YouTube and television commercials show them frying food with it!! How could it possibly fail???!

The reality is that the standard NuWave PIC sold in stores and online operates at only 1300 Watts. I discovered that it took over 50 minutes to get the oil to 350F degrees in the very heavy Fagor stainless steel six quart pressure cooker. And even then, when placing the chicken into the pot, the temperature immediately dropped and took another 20 minutes to recover. That destroyed the recipe with a total cook time of 15 minutes under pressure.

I called The customer service folks at NuWave, and was immediately offered un "upgrade" to their NuWave Pro induction cooktop that operates at 1500 Watts. I no longer had the original purchase receipt in my possession, so I did not qualify to purchase the Pro model at the "upgrade" price.

I have used the NuWave inductioin cooktop outside with a cast iron grill pan for cooking salmon, (faster than setting up the propane or charcoal grills for a piece of fish).

So, there you have it. It can be used outdoors. But, it's not very powerful if you want to deep fry anything or host a lobster boil.

The Max Burton unit sold by Amazon (and others) is under $100 and operates at 1800 watts. I returned two of the Max Burton units and wrote a bad review because the low-power performance was not to my liking. If you want cheap power, it's worth a try. I now have a NuWave and a 2-burner True Induction. The NuWave has a much quieter cooling fan, and has more than enough power for scrambled eggs.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 01:43 PM   #26

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
....NuWave has a much quieter cooling fan, and has more than enough power for scrambled eggs.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
I agree Mike,

For eggs, soups, and an occasional Japanese Shabu, or Swiss Fondue the NuWave is adequate.

For more power I have reverted to old school technology. When preparing outdoor pressure frying, clam/crab/crawfish/lobster boils, dutch oven baking, and turkey frying I use my Coleman and Camp Chef propane burners.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:07 PM   #27

After using my camp chef 30k BTU burner, I cannot even imagine using anything else to deep fry or boil.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:18 PM   #28
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
I took out the Atwood 3 burner gas top and replaced it with a True Induction 2 burner counter unit. Best thing I ever did to my MH. I have a 60,000 btu portable gas burner if I really want to fry something.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1571.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	108588