Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2017, 08:11 AM   #15

Great new additional posts here for you to consider. I did gloss over about your desire to also include AC, and was focused on the the inverter side of your question. And yes, inside the plastic cover to the circuit breaker switches, you would shift to the CB that would support your counter top induction to the Magnum inverted side.

If you are serious on also wanting to run the AC too, and or having less concerns about powering all outlets and draws via inverter power, many larger coaches do run with two inverters. If you have the room, you could get a second inverter, and break the load up between the two. (Always willing to help a fellow RV'er spend his $$!).

Running a convection oven microwave and induction top could tax the ability of the MS2812. Adding the power demands of these items, and the other inverted power too - will tell you how much of a risk you have.

Best to you. And I too appreciated the input and diagrams and spread sheets in this thread - some very savvy people on this board!
Smitty

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2017, 08:56 AM   #16

I run my whole 30 amp coach off a Magnum 3000 Hybrid inverter including A/C. I don't have induction an cooktop but it should have no issue running off inverter.

The A/C is a different story. My 15k BTU unit would cause my Magnum to go into overload on startup. It's not the running watts that's the problem, its the startup surge which can be in excess of 60 amps. I added a Micro-air Easy-start which reduced startup surge significantly now the inverter has no problem running the A/C. Not really that useful for me due to only having 220AH of batteries right now, will run for about 30-45 minutes to 50% SOC, but I wanted the option.

With 800 AH of lithium and 1200W of solar you could conceivably run the A/C 8 hours in full sun. Neat thing about my Hybrid Magnum is it will reduce shore input when solar has finished charging the batteries so the solar doesn't go to waste even when on shore power.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:46 AM   #17
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Dan, would you mind sharing the source of the Lithium batteries? I sure would like some for our mobility scooters.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:27 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
Your magnum is pure sign wave, so from a current capacity perspective, if it were the only thing running, it would work.

Be aware however, that if you move it to become one of the circuits fed from the Magnum, it is now limited by the total amperage capacity of the Magnum in bypass mode. Even when you are connected to shorepower, the subpanel is fed from the output of the Magnum transfer switch. You no longer have available to you the current for each circuit breaker, they are limited in TOTAL by the Magnum output circuit breaker.

For instance I have 4 circuits in my subpanel that are 20 amps each (Mwave, Refrig, Entertainment/Sat/TV's, and GFCI kitchen bath sockets). However because they are fed from the inverter, in total they must be less than 30 amps or they'll trip the Magnum breaker (I have a MS2000).

Your's is a little different because you have a MS2812, but you have a similar restriction. If you move your A/C or Induction over to the inverter, you will find yourself tripping the Magnum breaker alot, even though you are on shorepower or generator when you thought you can run everything.

I have a chart I'll add which shows this issue, using my coach data.
Thanks alot. Great info!
Old 05-21-2017, 04:29 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Got them at AM Solar in Springfield, OR. I don't know if they have any small enough for scooters but it sure won't hurt to check.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:31 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks to you, as well. I'm sure getting some great answers here.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:36 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiawah View Post
Be aware however, that if you move it to become one of the circuits fed from the Magnum, it is now limited by the total amperage capacity of the Magnum in bypass mode. Even when you are connected to shorepower, If you move your A/C or Induction over to the inverter, you will find yourself tripping the Magnum breaker alot, even though you are on shorepower or generator when you thought you can run everything.
That's an excellent point, and something we didn't consider when we moved our electric/gas water heater to the inverter side so we could take advantage of excess solar to make hot water. We don't trip the breaker a lot, but it has happened, and it means we can't totally ignore the various power draws even when we're on 50 amps.

It wouldn't have been a deal breaker if we'd thought about it, but it's definitely something to be aware of.

Tags
inverter