Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-12-2010, 10:01 AM   #1
Monaco Owners Club
Infant Car Seat in MH

Has anyone attached a rear-facing infant car seat in a Class A MH?

Bill & Linda

Greeley, CO
SlowFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2010, 03:21 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello Bill and Linda and welcome to iRV2.com. We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy the website and forums. Good luck and stay safe.
I am sure the care seat can be placed in the co pilots chair but other than a bench dinette that has seatbelts, there isn't any other approved method unless someone has installed something to the floor to secure the car seat by.
It will be interesting to follow this thread. Thanks for bringing it up.

Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:45 AM   #3
I do not have any rear facing, but I have 3 car seats in the motorhome. 2 forward facing on the dinette and 1 on the couch. My service center installed the 2 seat belts on the dinette. I know there is some discussion on the side facing car seat, but mama insists and I do not object. Just my 2 cents. I would think a rear facing seat on the dinette would be fine. That would be my first location of choice. Happy Trails!
2004 Winnebago Brave 32V
2007 Honda Odyssey
Jon, Heather and the 3 boys (4 and 2 1/2 yr old twins)
loanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
I have the same question and don't think the issue was resolved. Any other ideas?
MacScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
There is NO WAY I would put an infant car seat in the dinette!!! In an accident... where do you think that TABLE is going to go?????

If you have a swivel seat next to the door, turn it so the back is facing forward and install it there or the copilots seat.
1999 Fleetwood Bounder 32H
Many Places Full Time
No Dog * No Cat * No Co-Pilot
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
x2 for the swivel seat. We had the same problem and that was the solution. We even called the State Highway Patrol and they recommended the same thing. We traveled from Ohio to Florida with no problems.
2008 Damon Challenger 376
EZ tow dolly
2015 dart GT
pacevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:58 PM   #7
My understanding is infant seats must be rear facing so they shouldn't be put on the typical couch (side facing).
Poptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #8
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Originally Posted by Rick Long View Post
There is NO WAY I would put an infant car seat in the dinette!!! In an accident... where do you think that TABLE is going to go?????

If you have a swivel seat next to the door, turn it so the back is facing forward and install it there or the copilots seat.
So what happens to an infant seat in an SUV in a side collision?

Most MHs have the ability to drop the table so that there is no way for it to come in contact with the infant seat even in a fairly serious collision. If the accident is worse than that, the table is the last of my worries. I'm much more concerned about the cabinets flying off the walls, etc.

We strapped our 18mo granddaughter into a very well padded carseat that was tied into the side facing couch. We keep extra blankets along the forward facing side. My view of even a front end collision was that it would have been no worse for her than if her family car were hit from the side. Because most of force in all but the most serious type of collision (the MH running into a concrete bridge pillar) would be absorbed below much of passenger compartment, the probably of injury to a child in the proper type of seat, properly attached, is very slim. I agree in advance that there is no data to support that belief. Neither is there data on MH collisions that suggests that the swivel seat is safe. It all comes down to opinion.
2000 Georgie Boy Landau 36' DP
2005 Saturn Vue toad
chasfm11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 06:26 AM   #9
To clarify my post and to agree with chasfm11, we do drop the dinette to sleeping position when we strap the car seats in. If the swivel seat is anchored to the frame and you can lock it into rear facing, I will agree that is a viable option. My swivel seat is not anchored to the frame, thus I choose not to use it. Again, these are all opinions and I have not researched this enough to qualify as an expert.
2004 Winnebago Brave 32V
2007 Honda Odyssey
Jon, Heather and the 3 boys (4 and 2 1/2 yr old twins)
loanshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:28 AM   #10
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by MacScot View Post
I have the same question and don't think the issue was resolved. Any other ideas?
I'm talking to myself---just thinking about how I would approach this situation. So here is what I thought about---and it is why there are delete buttons on your computer.

There is not going to be a definative answer. I just spent a half hour searching for info and even though I do not need to place a childs seat in my RV I can easily tell how frustrating this would be.

MH"s simply were not designed with car seats in mind---period. (shame on the manufacturers of an inherently family vehicle)

You must arrive at a solution that fits your RV, your situation, what is available in your RV.

Any solution should follow to the letter the intended installation of the seat provided by the manufacturer---if that is rear facing then that's it---no compromise.

The installation should mimic as much as possible that which is found in a car ie; seat belts should penetrate steel and be fastened with spreading washers or the equivalent.

An unimpeachable routine must be established for travel to make sure all possible flying objects are stowed in the best manner possible to keep them contained if possible during a collission. (should already have one)

Realizing the above may actually be impossible then I would consider some additional travel protection from behind that would protect the child from flying objects.

I would consult with an expert and follow their advice on installation---must be someone around who oversees this stuff.

4 kids, 10 grandkids and I am unqualified to give advice to you about your RV---these are the things I would think about and do.

I wish you well and you have my best wishes for safe travel for everyone aboard.
I do all my own stunts
03 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 vortec, 04 CR-V, Blue Ox, Brake Pro----Norm, Barb and
Doc(He's a PhD)
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:44 AM   #11
As a grandparent who is in essence Daddy for a 5 year old grandson, we were faced with a similar dilemna. It was not until our grandson was 2 years old that we decided we could travel comfortably in our motorhome, so I wasn't faced with rearward positioning, but more of a problem on how my wife and grandson could see the sights as we traveled. As an engineer for most of my career, I bought a bucket seat simliar in color and design to, but smaller than our m/h seats. I made a strong pedestal (look at van type swivel pedestals) for it and mounted that to a large platform (12" x 36", 1/2" aluminum) covered with rubber to protect our floor. Then I made a quick release mount that secured the platform under the passenger seat of the m/h. With the seat secured and with anchored seatbelt, we install a standard forward-facing full height child car seat. The kid is secured and safe (at least as much as we are) and seated adjacent to my wife at the same visual height. We all can see and enjoy our travels, the seat is safe and quickly removable, and it solves our problem. We've really had some great, great trips together - the comments and perspectives of a youngster are entertaining and the wealth of education and knowledge he picks up is remarkable. Just ask most 5-year olds about Yellowstone or the Black Hills or the Grand Canyon.

Get to a campground, unhook the quick releases and put the extra seat in the basement so we can get in and out of the m/h and also swivel the passenger seat as intended. Get ready to go and 5 minutes later the seat is reinstalled stong and secure. Also have a quick attach eating tray that sits level and in front of the kid for his on-the-road munching and games.

Sorry, but I would prefer not to post photos, but rather give you an idea for your own fabrication (if you go that route). That way I can live with a clear conscience in case something ever failed or malfunctioned wrong on your end.

By the way, another one-off design installed on my Class A is an electric lift platform on the back that raises my Harley Davidson trike and still allows me to pull my SUV all four down. Who says you can't take it with you?

LarryInAL is offline   Reply With Quote