Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2012, 08:57 AM   #29

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin123 View Post
I have seen inflation instructions directing the use of a 12' extension with a clamping connection. I have a new motor home with new tires. I'm not experienced with high pressure tires. Is this good practice or were the instructions written by an attorney?

Thanks.

Well.... Likely both. Sometimes Attorneys get it right.

There is some danger when inflating the tire, and use of the clamping chuck and extension hose does minimize the danger... How great that danger is however.. Is beyond my ability to judge.

I do know that safety regulations apply when a tire is mounted and inflated at a shop and they require such things. And I know why as I've read the stories from back in the "Good old days" when the regulations did not so require.

And from time to time I still read of a car tire (Low pressure by the terms of this post) nailing someone when it blows up upon inflation.

But still.. I can not judge if the danger is greater than the cost.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2012, 09:29 AM   #30

I've never had a tire blow up, but I still get nervous airing up 80PSI+ tires.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #31

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Mythbusters did a piece on this, sort of. The Myth was that a driver was decapitated by the pieces of an exploding truck tire. They found that a chunk of truck tire about a foot long, flying at speeds that an exploding 100psi tire would propel it, would penetrate a car windshield and decapitate a driver pretty easily.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #32

American Coach Owners Club
I just found this thread. Interestingly, last weekend I checked my tires, in preparation for a trip, and found them all between 75-80psi. They also left the dealers lot at that pressure, and I drove them 400 miles. I inflated them to the recommended 110 up front and 90 on the rear duals. Today when I checked, the fronts were 105, and the rears 90. But it's colder today. Do you think driving a basically empty coach 400 miles, at 75-80psi would damage them? FYI, I'm pretty sure we are using different dealers. I got mine at MHSRV near Ft Worth, TX.
Rusty1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Rusty, same dealer. The general consensus seems to be, more than 20% underinflated is the same as run flat...

I have contacted Goodyear for advice.
Kevin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #34

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Thanks Mr D. Update, the dealer has admitted at least four new coaches went out with low pressure, one wit all six at 40 pounds. They are admitting it is their problem and are buying replacements. I'll have my tires looked at by both the local dealer (not where the coach was purchased) and a Goodyear dealer. I'm likely going to build a file and demand at least five be replaced. One of the rears was at 96 so it may be ok.
Good for the dealer, glad he's standing behind the goof up, but as someone else said, the one tire was carrying the load of two and it would also have been damaged. Insist that all six tires be replaced!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Not spending it till I get it...
Old 03-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #36

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Rusty, same dealer. The general consensus seems to be, more than 20% underinflated is the same as run flat...

I have contacted Goodyear for advice.
That 20% figure is not really a "consensus", it's printed in some tire manufacturers handouts.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Mr. D thanks for the clarification.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:05 PM   #38

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I've never had a tire blow up, but I still get nervous airing up 80PSI+ tires.
My fronts took 120 psi. I bought a pressure gauge that could do both tires at the same time and allowed you to stand to the side. Cost a bunch though. Nice cast alum housing and large gauge. Trying to remember the name now.

I also carry a certified testing gauge from NAPA so I can check my gauges.

Well, shoot, I can't find the gauge by doing a search, but it's alum with a 2" or so analog gauge in an alum housing and two hoses, one long and one short, both with locking heads on them and a fill valve on the bottom of the gauge housing. Wasn't cheap.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnMorgan View Post
I just went to Northern Tool and bought a $12.99 manager special inflator. After opening the pkg, I found out the fittings are not standard fittings. I took the hose to an Industrial Hose company and had them splice 12ft of hose and reuse one of the fittings, $18.99. So for $32 I have a safe way to inflate my tires.
Just a heads up, that Northern Tool pistol grip style locking chuck is really a pretty weak chuck/lock made from thin stamped sheet metal pressings. I've had a couple and they won't stay on my 125psi tires. The similar Home Depot Kobalt pistol grip chuck has a similar very weak locking chuck. The setup I am talking about looks like the following and retails in the $12-$20 range.

The following style locking chuck is better (more robust) but the angle of the hose attachment can cause it to pull and leak on the stem. There are also differing levels of "quality" for this style. Inspect the locking lever and look for a solid cast-like lever and not the typical stamped sheet metal lever.

In the you get what you pay for category, the following straight-on style positive- slip-locking chuck at some $30 is rock solid and won't leak or pull off. You'll need to add a valve or backflow device to this style chuck.
Amazon.com: Imperial 73621 Air Chuck 1/4" Lock on Nptf: Automotive
ottffss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:19 PM   #40

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Sure not the one I have!! Here's a link to the one I have

It appears that they are out of production though. It appears that there are some available here though. The XL180 goes to 180 psi. A little overkill but the next one down only goes to 60 psi

I also have the optional gauge that allows me to set a pressure and walk away. It'll go to that pressure and stop till I get back.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:13 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
That Danged Placard

Quote:
Chart behind the drivers seat says 90 for the rears and 111 for front. Suggestions?
That might be the correct pressure; or, it could be way off.

The manufacturer's data for the tires on the rig right now, using axle-end weights, have to be used to get the correct pressure. The placard specifies inflation for a rig at maximum weight, on the tires used to certify it. Posting it in the rig probably creates more problems than it rectifies. But, over-inflating to the placard value is not the end of the world: slightly smaller contact patch, rougher ride, and assymetrical tread wear chould be the worst that results.

I made a remote inflator with clamp-on connector after reading about accidents.

Most likely, the risk of explosion is minimal, when adding only a few pounds. But, it is such a small expense to acquire the correct inflator.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #42

American Coach Owners Club
Thanks to all of you! I appreciate the info on this blog so much. I spoke with the dealers service department today, to make them aware of the problem. I found no visible signs of damage, but I have scheduled an appointment with a Goodyear truck tire retailer to inspect, and balance the tires, tomorrow. I will post their finding, and I will be most interested in what Kevin finds out. Thanks for the link to the dual wheel inflator, I've got one on the way.
Rusty1014 is offline   Reply With Quote