Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2019, 06:10 AM   #1

Info on Camping World -Myrtle Beach SC

Good Morning,

I am looking at a class a being sold at the Camping World in M Beach SC.
Has anyone had an experience with them or can provide some info.

While I hear horror stories about Camping Worlds I’m keeping an open mind if told otherwise. No plans on financing w them nor am I buying a ext warr.
Trading my rig and driving off if that’s possible.

You folks have been so helpful, it’s appreciated

Best,
Ed
edmo119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2019, 07:20 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't have personal experience but I have a feeling once everyone wakes up this morning and has their coffee, you will get plenty of replies. Just based on the overwhelming things I read here and the articles in the news, I would stay far away, but thats me. Good luck with your efforts.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:33 AM   #3

I don't have direct experience, but one of my coworkers bought a fifth wheel from them last year. He worked out a deal that worked for him. I don't believe I would have any specific qualms about buying from them as long as I get the deal I want.

My friend did have an issue when picking it up. We live 300 miles away, and there were a few things that CW was supposed to repair before the scheduled pick up. Upon arrival at the pick up time that was scheduled when the deal was signed, nothing had been done. He had to stay overnight to get everything done that CW agreed to. Just don't count on them following through on things as you would expect.

That being said, I bought my dp from a dealer 65 miles away just last summer and had almost an identical experience. When we got there for the pick up, they were working on it, but were not close to being ready for us to pick it up. They actually broke some things going through the pdi. We ended up detailing it ourselves. They did not do any cleaning of the unit.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:38 AM   #4

Your profile indicates your in NJ. Be aware that if you buy that rig in SC, you may have problems getting any type of warranty work done at any CW in your area.
CW's are very bad about preforming any type of work, especially warranty work, on any rig not purchased at their particular outlet.
That is pretty much what happens even with independant dealers, but seems to be much more prevlant with CW.
Before buying any rig from a dealer not in your area, I would check with dealers in your area and find out if they will work on/preform warranty work on a rig not purchased from them.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 07:43 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
CW's issues are based on their CEO believing that any of his facilities can fix any issue even when they don't have the technicians or equipment. They turn few away and won't refer to local shops on things they can't fix.

If you are buying the way you said after the sale you'll probably have little to do with the selling dealer. Will they agree to you having a third party go over the unit?? If they say NO!! I'd walk away. Maybe they are hiding something. If they agree it's the same as anyone buying used, "Let the buyer beware."

We ordered new in 2013 and have never been back to the selling dealer. We had a local CW change a slide and had the leveling jack pump replaced all under the warranty. Our local CW no longer covers WBGO so we have had a few things fixed that I couldn't fix at other facilities.

We belong to the AR WBGO club so we have owners all over the state and from their experiences we all know which shops will work on WBGO's and the quality of the work. I'm about 3 hours away from 2 shops that I trust to do repair work.

Our daughter and family live 15 minutes from one (Conway) and an hour away (Cabot) from the other so we can stay at their home if we need repairs.

I don't know about you but most of the RV repairs I do and I'll even do most of the chassis repairs. If I can't do a chassis repair I'll find a local shop who will.

Some folks seem to believe if it's a Ford only a Ford shop can work on the chassis. That's not true. I had a local shop change the AC compressor. They don't work on RV's but it was summer so he worked on it out in the drive on gravel.

if you are having warranty work done I've had non Ford shops do work because there wasn't a facility close enough. They just had to approve of the facility.

I've had the unit aligned at a generic truck shop that specializes in frame straightening and repair.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:39 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Ed! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I think as long as you don't finance through them or buy their extended warranty that you've got half the battle won! They will try to tack on all kinds of extra charges that you just have to dig in and refuse to pay.

Noticed that you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:31 AM   #7

I have no experience with the dealer. But we camp in the area at least once a year.

This last year when we pulled in the site the site next to us had what appeared to be everything from inside an rv sitting on the patio or around the side. I thought that is very strange worse yet it started pouring rain.

Well hours i mean hours later the people arrived back in a new rv. proceeded over the next few days of putting everything in the new rv.

I talked to the guy he said i come here every year trade on a new 5th wheel at the camping world he was from what i remember not close.

then the site next to us brand new 5th wheel not exactly the same store but close. Came there from pretty far away to buy from that camping world he was from Kentucky he said the 5th was almost 7k less than local.

Anyways seemed like that store seemed to have better pricing that others at least in those folks mind.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:02 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We purchased a used class A from Camping World Savannah. It was the coach I wanted and the price was well below wholesale. However, the entire process was very difficult. We were flying in from Tucson so we scheduled a pickup date with them. The day before we were scheduled to leave, they called and said the coach was not ready. They needed 2 more weeks. They did offer to reimburse us for the cancelled airline tickets, but like several other promises this never happened.

Two weeks later when we finally did arrive to pick it up it still was not ready. They have one technician that is qualified and several that screw up anything they touch. The good technician was working hard to fix everything the other two had screwed up. He and I worked on the coach for the next two days to get it ready for a cross country trip (I'm talking 14 hours per day). In the end we took it with it marginally ready. The refrigerator quit 2 hours outside of Savannah. The fresh water gravity fill hose was broken so we could not put more than 20 gallons in it. The Aqua Hot smoked so bad it looked like a five alarm fire. The generator was difficult to start and the exhaust pipe was missing. They do not clean the coach well. I could go on and on, but the engine and transmission ran great and it drove fine. They did install new batteries, a new AC, a new roof vent, serviced the dash AC, and fixed some other things.

There finance person was hostile. In the end we paid for it with a bank transfer just to avoid dealing with her. Tthe sales person and the store manager are great handshakers, but worhtless. They promised us the other two kitchen chairs and several other things on paper, but never followed through.
We drove straight to the nearest Speedco and had the oil, oil filter, and fuel filters changed and all the fluids tested.

I have since fixed almost everything on our list and we love the coach. Would I purchase from them again? Only if it was the coach I wanted and if the price was fantastic. But this time I would know what I'm getting into.

I hope this helps.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 12:12 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The last iRV2 rally at MB I tried to have some repairs made there, I understand them being busy with a very long lead time to get in but I can not accept the totally rude attitude they portrayed just because I happened to asked about having some repairs made.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:49 PM   #10

I purchased my brand new WB coach at CW in Waconda IL. The sale process/experience was not good at all, but the price was superb so it was worth it. I was very surprised the service dept. was excellent. With all of the CW complaints I did not expect much. They fixed everything correctly the first time, and kept me updated weekly on their progress while it was in the shop. The only delays were waiting for parts.
MAC 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:18 PM   #11

Repair Work

Thank you for the info on the repair work. I went to my local rv shop and they told me that they can do most of the manufacturer repair work. As far as any chassis or motor work, I would have to go to a truck center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy0374 View Post
Your profile indicates your in NJ. Be aware that if you buy that rig in SC, you may have problems getting any type of warranty work done at any CW in your area.
CW's are very bad about preforming any type of work, especially warranty work, on any rig not purchased at their particular outlet.
That is pretty much what happens even with independant dealers, but seems to be much more prevlant with CW.
Before buying any rig from a dealer not in your area, I would check with dealers in your area and find out if they will work on/preform warranty work on a rig not purchased from them.
Grumpy
edmo119 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, camping world, myrtle beach