Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Information Sources for First Timers

Morning Folks,

We just acquired our first motor home; a 2009 Newmar Ventana with 6k miles. We have a total of .5 miles so far

The turn over from the old owner was pretty quick and after exploring the coach it seems that there is a WHOLE LOT beyond the bag of literature from the factory. Things like how/when to manage/maintain the plumbing system. The same for the electrical systems. Heating and cooling systems, etc. Maybe lots of unexpected Do's and Don'ts that will probably be learned the hard way unless forewarned.

There seems to be a plethora of books/DVD's that tout all sorts of information and I was hoping I might ask the crowd for recommendations for reading/educational material that they have found worthwhile before I plunk down the credit card.

Thank you,
Norm
A6IntruderBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2010, 09:19 AM   #2

the way I learned was to visit various websites including this one,,and if my questions werent answered I would pose a question on the appropriate forum,,

rv.net
escapees
and the owner's forum of your coach,,are places to bookmark on your computer

Read past posts,,nearly always someone else has started a thread that will answer your question. You will find a wealth of info covering nearly every possible subject.

Chances are if you just research the on-line forums you wont need to buy any books and the info from online forums is usually much more reliable
Rick&Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:53 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Any books by DR. Ron Jones are good and full of info. I started buying books a couple years ago since we will be fulltiming (in 6 days) and I am the type that has to know as much as I can before I do anything. I now have a "library" on RV repair, systems, campgrounds, fulltiming, boondocking, etc. Another good book for beginners is RVing for Idiots. Good luck!
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 09:20 PM   #4

This website will allow you to find answers to almost anything that may ever arise. The people who post here have kept us rolling for years. If you can manage to put your question into words, you can use the Search function to see what has been answered in the past, or ask it as a new question. This is a university dedicated to making the right things happen. Welcome to a great world of people with practical experience who are willing to share with new friends, good luck, HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:47 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
THANKS

It seems the web is the place to be. I have followed a few of the links suggested and it is like trying to take a sip out of a fire hose...:-)

All assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Norm
A6IntruderBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 08:24 AM   #6
paz

Perhaps you should investigate an RV rally like Good Sam or FMCA. The old Life on Wheels (now defunct after the death of founder Gaylord Maxwell) used to have lots of seminars that were especially good for beginners. They had subjects like RV systems (fresh water, waste water, 120V AC power, 12V DC power, batteries, water heaters, etc.) and subjects like diesel maintenance. We have never been to a GS or FMCA rally, but maybe they have similar topics.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 11:54 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
I have found that my many manuals have most of the answers.

For some it is just easier or quicker or more convenient to ask questions on the web.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote