RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2019, 07:12 AM   #15

Lots of good advice here....don't know anything about this brand of RV but it sounds like it was a nice vehicle for its time....like many restoration projects, a "barn-find" is a potential "diamond in the rough"......a neglected, 35-year old RV is a potential "money pit".....unlike a 67 Vette, after-market replacement parts will be hard to find and at the end of the day, you probably wont have a very valuable RV, if resale [ROI] is a consideration.....good luck

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2019, 07:26 AM   #16

You can learn about taking care of an RV and bring this baby back. It would be a neat project as long as there's no major water damage. SOME water damage is ok and can be fixed as long as it hasn't migrated into other areas and caused bigger damage like delamination for example. People who have RV's run into small water leaks all the time and fix them and move along.

Here's a link I just found on another thread going on here about detecting plumbing water leaks. Not roof leaks. It may come in handy down the road..
Mystery Leak and Major Damage

Youtube is your friend on how to take care of various RV repairs. Oh...and how to properly winterize it when temps get below freezing for several days. It will take time and money to get her back to old glory days but what a fun project if you have covered place to work on it and just take your time. Covered area because in OK it really gets hot in the summer and it'll be protected from the rain too.

Or you could just sell it like it is for someone else to restore, or for parts to a person who needs them. There will be buyers out there for sure. Not running you probably only would get maybe 5K or so. Just depends on overall condition too. For me, if it's not in to bad of shape, I'd keep her and take a year or two to bring her back.

Here's a link to a Vogue FB page to get help there:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/categ...9455807777138/

Spare parts can be found at RV salvage yards or specialized RV parts houses. Here's a few to get you started:
https://bontragers.com
https://usedrvparts.visonerv.com/cgi-bin/welcome.pl?
https://www.rvpartssierra.com/replac.../single-skirts
https://pdxrvwholesale.com
https://anyrvparts.com

Regular house parts like hot water heater, furnance, fans, switches, A/C units, plumbing stuff and all that is all interchangeable and could be fairly easy to replace or upgraded with todays parts from any RV store. It's the chassis stuff that MAY be a little problematic to find parts, but through that FB page, other owners recommendations and salvage yards I'll be you could find all what you need.

Old 11-19-2019, 05:22 PM   #17

I had it moved today. Everything was going according to plan until about a mile from my house. The front left tire began smoking (it was being towed from the rear). we stopped to check it. Apparently the brakes were dragging and got so hot it was melting the tire. While we were looking at it, the hot rubber ignited and we had a fire. The wrecker driver grabbed his extinguisher and started working on putting the fire out but it was hard to get to. The fire was to the rear and inside of the left front tire. He laid on his back and slid under the RV behind the tire and I held the mud flap so he could spray the flame. At this time the RV is still hooked to the wrecker and the rear end is raised off the ground about a foot. Before he could get the flame put out the tire blew and the front of the RV fell about 6" or so, suddenly. Holy crap! I thought the wrecker driver had been crushed for sure. But there was enough clearance. He was OK, just scared the crap out him. Long story short, we switched ends with the wrecker and got it to the house ok. That's one tire to be replaced for sure, and the brakes will have to be redone on the front, at least. I'll take stock of the situation this weekend and decide how to proceed. This might be a project not worth undertaking.
jlfrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:07 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Lots of good advice here....don't know anything about this brand of RV but it sounds like it was a nice vehicle for its time....like many restoration projects, a "barn-find" is a potential "diamond in the rough"......a neglected, 35-year old RV is a potential "money pit".....unlike a 67 Vette, after-market replacement parts will be hard to find and at the end of the day, you probably wont have a very valuable RV, if resale [ROI] is a consideration.....good luck
I agree with above. You could put $5000 into that coach, which will likely be the minimum it will need, and still not be able to sell for $1000.00. From your description, I would seriously look at scrapping it.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:44 PM   #19

If it were a diesel, there would be more incentive to attempt a rebuild for someone who does that sort of thing for the love of it. It being a gas coach, even after a rebuild, it would not be worth what it would cost to restore. It sounds like a project for a nostalgic Vogue enthusiast.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:48 PM   #20

Don't get discouraged yet. You may put a few thousand in it and have something you are confident with. Needs a lot of investigation and cost estimates before putting too much in. Not much available in the under $7K range or so.
Old 11-19-2019, 10:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captn John View Post
Don't get discouraged yet. You may put a few thousand in it and have something you are confident with. Needs a lot of investigation and cost estimates before putting too much in. Not much available in the under $7K range or so.
Exactly! And you get the benefit of enjoying the coach as he had.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:17 PM   #22

Might be a good tax deduction donation to an RV museum and let them restore it and you take the tax deduction.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfrazier View Post
I had it moved today. Everything was going according to plan until about a mile from my house. The front left tire began smoking (it was being towed from the rear). we stopped to check it. Apparently the brakes were dragging and got so hot it was melting the tire. While we were looking at it, the hot rubber ignited and we had a fire. The wrecker driver grabbed his extinguisher and started working on putting the fire out but it was hard to get to. The fire was to the rear and inside of the left front tire. He laid on his back and slid under the RV behind the tire and I held the mud flap so he could spray the flame. At this time the RV is still hooked to the wrecker and the rear end is raised off the ground about a foot. Before he could get the flame put out the tire blew and the front of the RV fell about 6" or so, suddenly. Holy crap! I thought the wrecker driver had been crushed for sure. But there was enough clearance. He was OK, just scared the crap out him. Long story short, we switched ends with the wrecker and got it to the house ok. That's one tire to be replaced for sure, and the brakes will have to be redone on the front, at least. I'll take stock of the situation this weekend and decide how to proceed. This might be a project not worth undertaking.
Wow! Glad no one got hurt! I won't urge to either way, but good luck in making a decision, and my condolences on your brother passing.

BTW, if the gas smells like turpentine, don't even try to run it. But if it smells fairly good you may be able to top it off and run the engine. And check the fuel lines first so you don't get another fire. I recently got my MH going after about a 5 year period of storage with almost a full tank of gasoline. Gas didn't smell that bad, so I ran it down to a 1/4 tank and topped it off with fresh. No problems, and it runs great.

Would love to see a pic btw.
tap4154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:30 PM   #24

Following thread does anyone know what the Vogue chassis is motor is ect.
Glad the driver is ok.
Hopefully carring it without a tire didn't do any other damage . I wins you luck. The vent lid is easy fix anyway lol.
153stars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:00 PM   #25

Shouldn’t cost much too replace front calipers pads and flex hoses.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:23 PM   #26

Before you try to start it, expect:
1) Air Filter has a mouse nest in it
2) Fuel system has water in it
3) Tires may be 'aged out'
4) Brakes may be sticking.
If you are handy with cars, you can likely bring this back to life and get a lot of enjoyment out of it.
If you plan to have a mechanic do it all, have that tow truck take it directly to a dealer and ask for a deep inspection, and cost to fix it all before you do anything.

I like working on these rigs, they are relatively simple, and if you get stuck there are lots of forums to help you out.

Sorry to hear about your brother, hope you are holding up well.
JohnLoves2Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 08:32 PM   #27

It is totally unacceptable that the tow truck driver took off towing a vehicle that had sat for 2 years without first verifying the calipers were not stuck. His incompetence and negligence caused the wheel fire as its a foregone conclusion that the calipers will be dragging and need to be released before it could be towed away. That is why most reputable tow companies will send a flatbed trailer to move an RV that has been sitting for more than a year.

This was not an unforeseeable accident or bad luck its just plain incompetence. The tow company should be held liable for the damages from towing a vehicle without first verifying that the brakes were not stuck.
Old 11-28-2019, 09:03 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfrazier View Post
That is the exact reason I carry five fire extinguishers now.

Many years ago I had two tires blow out at the same time on a brand new trailer. By the time I got stopped they were both smoking.

I grabbed the tiny RVIA approved fire extinguisher that came with the trailer and prevented them from igniting.

Those RVIA approved extinguishers are next to useless. So I went and bought several big extinguishers.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote