Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2015, 01:34 PM   #15
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Navigator View Post
Your door looks like it might have been manufactured by these folks: PTL Engineering | Committed to quality from start to finish
My door is not the same shape as yours but looks very similar. The folks at PTL were very helpful when I ordered new seals. Might be worth trying to contact them.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
I went to their site and found no images of the door. I'm sure American Coach outsourced the door so it is possible. If they do not (American Coach) come up with the part I will give them a call.

Thanks for the tip.

GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2015, 05:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
I went to their site and found no images of the door. I'm sure American Coach outsourced the door so it is possible. If they do not (American Coach) come up with the part I will give them a call.

Thanks for the tip.

My inner door is screened instead of the clear plexi-glass like yours, but I like what you have. Maybe I can modify mine.
Anyway, I see similarities in the inner door construction, the inside door handle, latch mechanism, etc.
Check around all edges of the outer door. Mine had a PTL sticker on it with the serial number.

Good luck and let us all know what you find out.

Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060

GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:04 PM   #17

Glenn, on my 98 Eagle the part is Plexi, not glass. Don't know if it is OEM or someone repleaced the orginal at some time.

PTL Engineering is the manufacturer. They are located in Rochester, Michigan.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:01 PM   #18
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
My inner door is screened instead of the clear plexi-glass like yours, but I like what you have. Maybe I can modify mine.
Anyway, I see similarities in the inner door construction, the inside door handle, latch mechanism, etc.
Check around all edges of the outer door. Mine had a PTL sticker on it with the serial number.

Good luck and let us all know what you find out.

Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
No labels on the outer edge. The upper and lower panels are not pleix-glass on my door, It is a heavy very clear flexible plastic. I'm thinking the screen was removed and this plastic replaced it. I like it very much because I can run the A/C and leave the heavy outer door open. The inside stay cool and the inner door is very light and easy to open and close. I think they should make this an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
Glenn, on my 98 Eagle the part is Plexi, not glass. Don't know if it is OEM or someone repleaced the orginal at some time.

PTL Engineering is the manufacturer. They are located in Rochester, Michigan.
My slider was definitely safety glass, and the fixed piece is also. My bet is yours was replaced at some point. I have priced having a piece made for me and the cost is around $160.00. I am hoping American Coach will come up with a part. In the mean time I am going to make a temporary one out of polycarbonate.

I had hoped to do that tonight, but I am pretty beat.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:24 AM   #19

Glenn,
I think I understand the type of material you are talking about now.
The sliding piece on my door is also clear plastic. I placed a small round self sticking felt pad on the glass part to keep the knob screw from rattling on the glass.

Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:44 AM   #20
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Glenn,
I think I understand the type of material you are talking about now.
The sliding piece on my door is also clear plastic. I placed a small round self sticking felt pad on the glass part to keep the knob screw from rattling on the glass.

Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
I have not been able felt with sticky backing, I am going to make a temporary panel.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:53 PM   #21
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
The solution

I came to believe that I was going to have to have a custom piece made for me.

I knew this would take time so I decided to make a temporary piece until I could get the real thing.

I sent Anne (the better half) out to get the pieces.

She came back with a piece of acrylic. I have never built anything out of acrylic, so I googled cutting and drilling acrylic.

They said to use a saw blade with a loot of teeth which I happen to have.

This worked perfect.

To drill it they said to start small and work your way up, and let the bit do the work. This did not work so well, the acrylic "clouded" around the hole, but will be hidden by the base of the knob.

She could not fine black felt to match the original but was given a small piece of brown, as this is temporary I will have time to find the correct black.

I wanted self sticky back felt and could not find it either, so contact cement it is.

Now the touchy job of applying it, it actually went very nicely.

Now to roll the felt over the edge and up onto the other side.

The install was a breeze, the acrylic is flexible enough to set one edge in and flex the acrylic to pop the other edge in.

Here is where I made the mistake on the placement of the knob. The knob does not allow the panel to slide over far enough to allow clear access to the outer door handle from the inside. As this is temporary, in the finial drawing I send to the custom glass place I will make an adjustment for this.

The handle does not come out far enough to hit the glass.

I will be ordering the Safety glass as in the few trails I have made sliding the glass open and close the acrylic already has some scratches in it.

All done.

While I was walking up the driveway my cell phone rang. It is American Coach.

THEY HAVE THE GLASS, IN STOCK along with a couple other parts I'm looking for.

Not only do they have the part, it is cheaper than I have found through a glass shop. I was quoted $161.00 for custom and American Coach wants $69.19, done deal, send it to me.

So...I'm about to let the cat out of the bag and provide a glance into some future entertainment.

In addition they have the plastic covers for the weep holes for the sliding windows in the coach for $14.63 each, send five, a future project.

Also they have the exact replacement for my water heater for $461.80, Amazon.com wants $538.00 send that, another future project. I have spent that much at Caledonia RV in repairs on the one in the Motor Home and it still does not work right (in the rain on gas it shuts off, and on electric the water only get luke warm).

So stay tuned as there are two more projects coming your way. Not right away as next week I will be racing!

Follow my antics here

Tags
camping, door