Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #15

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
...I have read some people would remove an outside dual to temporarily replace a front flat so they could "limp" to a service facility...
Bob
That is an extremely dangerous practice! Removing one dual will significantly overload the other one by close to 100%, if not the full 100%. It doesn't take long under those conditions to damage a tire. Even the time it takes to bring a vehicle to a safe stop when one tire of a dual blows can be enough to destroy the remaining tire. It may look ok on the outside but it will be a time bomb waiting to explode. I've seen truck tires that looked brand new on the outside with little tread wear but looked like shredded wheat inside where the cords have separated.

For those of you who advocate just airing the flat tire up and driving slowly for four miles, reread again the history of the tire. Based on the OP has said, I wouldn't be surprised if both tires have been irrepairably damaged. There is no telling how many miles it has been driving with the one tire flat. Even setting with one tire flat has overloaded the remaining tire and may have damaged it. Then there is the mysterious big bang. Even if it was only a rock between the sidewalls letting go, there is no way to know if the rock did any hidden damage while lodged between the tires without breaking both of them down. If either tire blows during that short trip to a service center, the damage it will most likely cause will be way more than the cost of of a mobile tire service call, not to mention the danger involved.

A mobile tire service should have been called out the first time the tire lost air pressure and both tires broken down to check them for internal damage. This is a good example of where paying $100-150/year for an emergency road service policy could have paid off.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2012, 12:43 PM   #16

354 mbs cc

Sitting by the side of the road (with two flats which could happen) no matter how far it is,
thats what I would worry about. at that point your calling a mobile truck anyway. You dont say what condition the tires are in to begin with .

Old 02-17-2012, 01:33 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Been there, done that....
Blew an outer dual in a gasser....
Drove down the road 2 ?iles, put the spare on...
Called, ordered a tire 200 milezs down the road.
20 miles before I got there, had an explosive event with the inner dual on that side (it had run 2 miles overloaded....)
Old 02-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #18

@ LadyFitz... The sky is falling, the sky is faling.... J/K

That's good advice. I wonder if it also pertains to dual axle trailer tires.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #19

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
@ LadyFitz... The sky is falling, the sky is faling...
I know but I'm safe; I have my umbrella.

Quote:
...I wonder if it also pertains to dual axle trailer tires.
It applies to any dual tires.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #20

I have a friend with a Alfa Gold and his TPMS said it was "o" and he thought it was just a bad sensor and he drove it with a flat inside dual from Kentucky all the way to Texas. Had a nail in it. What luck. I wouldn't have made it down the driveway.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I won't be as alarmist as the rest, but if you do that you WILL have to replace all 4 rear tires, No question about that. It might be easier to either take it off or have a mobile tire service come to you.. Still. all 4 tires on the wheel should be the same size, and that means (Since they get smaller as they age) the same age.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #22

Just put more pressure in the smaller ones.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #23
KIX

Quote:
Just put more pressure in the smaller ones.
Maybe just drop a little pressure out of the bigger ones.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:53 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have found that when you are buying 22.5. Inch tires that the service call only adds about 30.00 to the bill. Have it done on site!
Old 02-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
I don't know how I survived trucking all those years! I had tires go flat and ran them 50 miles and got the flat fixed and carried on. I have had one go flat and have the other blow right after it as well. Usually because it was damaged too! I wouldn't even blink at 4 miles, but that's me.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #26

So I borrowed an air compressor today - i got a wopping 30lbs in the flat tire and drove the 4 miles to the tire place. They pulled it off - had a nail in it. They put it on a machine - checked the tire out - said it looked like it was in great shape.

They patched it up and remounted it. We will see how it all holds up this summer I guess.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad you got it back on the road. I hope your approach works out well for you.

Personally, I would be in the camp of never driving with one of my tires bearing twice the weight it was designed for but there are obviously differing opinions here.

BTW, I just loved Perry's friend whose TPMS told him he had a flat and he assumed it was a bad sensor!

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #28

The 'Big Bang' could have been some lug nuts came loose. Happened to me on a front tire 6-8 miles after hitting a larger then normal transition between the road and a bridge.

Turned out my lug nuts required 475ft-lbs and the truck tire shop the sold me new tires a few weeks earlier didn't know that and under torqued them. The mobile truck tire service didn't have the proper tools to torque them to more then 125ft-lbs. These are the supposed experts?

I've found from experience that you're better off carrying road side service insurance (under $150/year), calling a mobile tire service, have a spare, and know enough about your own rigs tires to be able to help the tire guy...like some don't know that my drivers side tires are 'lefty tighty righty looosy'.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote