Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2012, 09:30 PM   #1

Inner dual flat

The inside dually on my class A is flat on the driverside. I have an appointment to get it looked at this Monday. How horrible would it be for me to drive 4 miles about 30mph with the tire flat? I am hoping to get it pumped up before I go, but I can't guarantee it will happen.

Someone is bringing an air compressor down on Saturday to pump it up - I just don't know how long it will last.

I don't know if the tire has a bad valve stem, or a physical hole. When we pumped up the tire last time we could not hear any leaks.

Over Christmas I heard a loud bang on the interstate. Everything felt normal. Then the TPMS started beeping and said I lost 30lbs of air.

When I pulled over the Alcoa was half hanging off the wheel. I manually tightened it up with my hand and re filled the tire. I drove another 400 miles, plus drove it around some more the following week with no issues. Then the tire went flat and now will not hold air for long. I don't know if it only holds air for 1 hour or 3 days. Last time I filled it I forgot to check it for a week and the tire was flat again.

Now that you have TMI about my tire - any thoughts ?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #2

Check all of your tires pressures before the drive.
Short and slow, I think you'll be fine.
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
KIX

Regardless of speed..........there are dual tires on the rear axle for a reason. The reason is the weight of the coach on that axle. To be able to support that weight it takes 4 tires.... two on each end of the axle. To travel on one tire on that end of the axle is asking the remaining tire to do the job of two tires. My suggestion is to call a mobile tire repair service, they are not that expensive. To travel any distance on the one remaining good tare can damage it and then your troubles would be doubled.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
If you have valve stem extensions on the inside dual tire, you might take the extension off and see if the tire holds air. I've lost air before because the extension was loose.

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:54 PM   #5
TAZ

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would inflate it and see if it will hold air for a sufficient time to drive it. If it only loses 10 or 20 lb in an hour then fill it and take it slow. If it cant hold enough air i would not put that much presure on one tire.

Improvise, adapt and overcome... "Semper Fi"
TAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:57 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Any tire run with 20% less air than required for the load is considered to have been "run flat" and must be broken down and inspected inside for broken belts and other damage.
As was suggested, pull the extension (if you have them) and see if it'll hold pressure. Or call a mobile tire service and get it taken care of. It's not worth having to buy two tires.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:16 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The loud bang would get my attention- Something's going on-

Time for road service.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:17 AM   #8

iRV2 No Limits Club
I also feel you should call a mobile road service. The big bang you mentioned should have been thoroughly checked out as soon as it happened. If you have driven any with the tire low or down, there is a good chance it and the remaining tire on that side have been damaged. I wouldn't risk driving on them, even if both tires hold air for a while, until both have been checked out. A blowout can cause a lot of damage to the vehicle or even cause a wreck.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:29 AM   #9

Florida Cooters Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
KZ RV Club
I'll throw another vote in for the mobile service. As Lady Fitz said, if the inner tire does something catastrophic on the way down the road, it can cause a lot of damage to the coach, take out the other tire or even wreck you.
Better safe than sorry... IMHO.
DpDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:31 AM   #10

That bang could have been a rock stuck between the two tires. When it wore a hole in one sidewall, it lost pressure and allowed the rock to be ejected, causing the bang. I'd have both tires checked out.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've lost air in the duals do to a leaky valve extension. I'm sure the 4 mile drive is not going to hurt it as long as you drive slowly.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:15 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
So you still have to make a decision or flip a coin.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:50 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
I've done that without problem - at slow speed for more than four miles. I have read some people would remove an outside dual to temporarily replace a front flat so they could "limp" to a service facility. As said above try to air it up before heading out.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:56 AM   #14

Since tires heat up when you drive, and the pressures increase, you could probably add an extra 10 pounds to make sure you get there with air to spare.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote