Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2014, 07:11 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Rick, I do have one of my 6V AGM's laying on its side but, after reading this thread, I will work to get it upright. I just need to get one longer cable so I can move it around a bit.

I also have the Magnum 2800W PSW inverter and while I have Full River AGM batteries, both Magnum and Full River advised me to use the Lifeline setting. Only time will tell if what I spent on the batteries and the cables to wire them up was worth it.

I did read the 6v vs 12v comments you provided. I do wonder why all electric golf cars come configured with strings of 6v batteries?
Don't forget to upsize you cables as you move away from the main string.

Your inverter is the same as mine. I love it. My batteries are real happy. So am I.

I like the 6V battery explanation by wa8yxm. It's funny how people follow tradition over math. It's like this story: A mom always cut the end off the ham she was baking and placed it on top to cook. Her daughter asked why one day. "My mother did." said mom. Let's ask her why. Grandma explained that her pan was too small and that was the only way she could get the total ham in the oven. Now there was a tradition. And so it is with the 6V argument.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2014, 09:25 AM   #30

AGM Battery follow-up Question

I have a follow-up question on AGM batteries, that I was not smart enough to ask the first time around. My Monaco Dynasty has a big boy relay that charges both the house and chassis batteries in a certain sequence depending on the charging source (alternator vs 110v power source). I have relatively new Interstate flooded chassis batteries. I have decided to replace my old house batteries with AGM's. Based on my original question I will need to change the charging type on my inverter control from flooded to the AGM setting. Will this cause an issue with my flooded Interstate chassis batteries ?

Thank you for your patients
mque
mque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
I wouldn't think that it would, my 07 Navigator came from the factory with Lifelines and flooded chassis batteries. According to the option sticker it has the 200 amp alternator like most coaches of this size do. Randy
Old 11-17-2014, 05:07 PM   #32

Yes!

Regardless of what was there before you should ALWAYS confirm what the new batteries need by confirming the manufacturer data sheet.

Then confirm the proper settings needed then make the adjustments needed to get things as needed.

Last place complete system on probation...monitor voltages closely yo be sure proper.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:29 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
The most important thing is to have your charger set for AGM's and make certain that the output is withing the battery manufacture's specs. Not all AGM's are the same. I found this out through my experiences them. My NAPA AGM's in this coach have a slightly different charging spec than my Lifelines did that I put in my last coach.

As far as charging when traveling is concerned that is not a problem. The relay operates to supply charging voltage to the low bank. Lifeline assured me that this was not a problem even though the voltage was higher than spec. On this present system I have not seen any negative effects from the alternator charging cycle. This power system is very strong and reliable. I am very pleased with the Winnebago design.

So, to sum it up, your charger is the key to long life because it is maintaining your batteries most of the time.

Rick Y
Old 11-20-2014, 06:33 PM   #34

Thor Owners Club
AGM Battery

I'm thinking about replacing my two 6 volt, 200 amp each house batteries with AGM batteries. would I have a problem going with 2 190 amp batteries.

I have a 2012 Challenger, gas MH with a Converter

Thanks
Gus
gj5298@comcast.net
GJHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:44 PM   #35

190 amp at what rate?

190 amp by itself means little...which battery?

Look up the data sheet on the new one and read it 3 times end to end then determine if the battery is first compatable with your system then if the batteries will meet your needs.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:50 PM   #36

Thor Owners Club
I am thinking about replacing my two 6 volt, 200 amp house batteries with two 6volt 190 amp AGM batteries. Would I have any problems with the converter or the new batteries being less amps.
Thanks
Gus
2012 Thor Challenger V 10 Ford
gj5298@comcast.net
GJHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:32 PM   #37

It is not the amps but volts.

If now flooded the support system needs many changes to be compatable with the AGM.

Just changing will be an expensive lesson in what not to do.

It is not difficult but depending on what you have now you may need to replace a few things.

Please review threads relating to flooded and agm conversions.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:55 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJHD View Post
I am thinking about replacing my two 6 volt, 200 amp house batteries with two 6volt 190 amp AGM batteries. Would I have any problems with the converter or the new batteries being less amps.
Thanks
Gus
2012 Thor Challenger V 10 Ford
gj5298@comcast.net
I will stress this article. Read it before you do anything: Which is better? Two 6v or Two 12v Marine Batteries

If you are willing to spend big buck you might consider lithium ion batteries and a new charger. I know they are gaining popularity. Being a completely different science you must do your homework thoroughly. My son has many study resources. PM me and I will get the list from him.

The main consideration of AGM's is charging, as previously stated. They will give you more power over a longer period of time, true, but if not charged correctly they will soon become very heavy paperweights.

Rick Y
Old 11-26-2014, 07:02 PM   #39

When I read the above posts over again, it became clear that the people who love AGM batteries either have a new coach that came with them, or have a newer charger, like the Magnum, that supports them well. My 2002 came with the old Heart/Interface charger/inverter (now Xantrex). I am thinking very seriously about replacing this, because I have a feeling that it may have contributed to the early demise of my AGMs. That and the 400 degree exhaust 1" away! A new Magnum 2800 watt is $1700-$2000, so it's not a small investment. I would not try AGMs again without doing the upgrade, however. I think that for those of use with "older" chargers, the only safe answer is good ole' flooded cell batteries. If you have a new coach with a charger that supports AGMs properly (mine has the setting, but I don't think it works well), AGMs make sense. I'm spending a little money and time to fabricate a heat shield, and have purchased Trojan's new battery watering system, which has a low-water indicator for the cells allowing a visual check without removing caps. I'm also fabricating and installing a custom battery slide (1/3 battery split and framing issues require custom).
PDXDisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:40 PM   #40

Over voltage or excessive heat both are bad for agm.

Difficult to troubleshoot now...if measurements would have been taken while batteries still in place some clues may have been discovered.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:28 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Over voltage or excessive heat both are bad for agm.

Difficult to troubleshoot now...if measurements would have been taken while batteries still in place some clues may have been discovered.

Over voltage can be bad for all batteries.

AGM's from Lifeline are designed to take more voltage than standard batteries. That is one of the reasons that people go with them, to get a quicker charge.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:40 PM   #42

Brand does not matter but the spec sheet does.

I understand the lifelines seem to have a unique set of parameters that allow them to be more tollerant of varying charging systems.

That being stated...if the charging voltage is just a bit too high it will result in excess float current which will increase the gassing of any lead acid battery.

As long as the pressure remains below the valve setting all should be good.

With flooded the water just needs to be refilled more often.

Bottom line is to be sure the charging system is set properly for the battery.

Tags
batteries