Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-23-2015, 03:58 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
DSL417's Avatar


 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 6,213
Blog Entries: 2
I don't know that it is a quality issue...just crummy Chinese shade motors that don't hold up well in coaches...if I was a betting person, I'd bet that the less than perfect electrical conditions in coaches, shore power, generators, inverters, etc etc etc, I'd say the Chinese motors just don't stand up to the environment. You'd think the shade manufacturers would get the message, unless planned failure after warranties expire is a business plan!
__________________

__________________
Dave and Beth
2015 Cornerstone 45J
Ford F-150 and 2016 Polaris Razor
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2015, 07:10 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Wobster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 232
Are there no options for manual cockpit shades. I am uncomfortable with all the talk of motor failures. I can pull down a shade...however I am not finding a manual windshield shade.
__________________

__________________
Wobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:04 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
bcbounders's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Abbotsford, BC
Posts: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobster View Post
Are there no options for manual cockpit shades. I am uncomfortable with all the talk of motor failures. I can pull down a shade...however I am not finding a manual windshield shade.
Wobster... I would think that you could just buy the manual version of a roller shade sold by any one of the three manufacturers listed above. The only issue I can see with that could be that the manual roller shades may not have the same protective mechanisms to ensure the shade didn't deploy all the way down to the dash (completely blocking your view of the road) the way some of the motorized versions do.
__________________
John
2005 Newmar MADP
bcbounders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:58 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palisade CO
Posts: 3,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wobster View Post
Are there no options for manual cockpit shades. I am uncomfortable with all the talk of motor failures. I can pull down a shade...however I am not finding a manual windshield shade.
One of the other brands (Automaster?) has a manual autoride.
__________________
Clay WA5NMR - Ex Snowbird - 1 year, Ex Full timer for 11 years - 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Honda Accord toad.
Clay L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:01 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Palisade CO
Posts: 3,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playtime III View Post
Lets see. I have MCD duo's on all of the windows (12), only two small (by bed) are non-powered. I have one motor gone bad, one will not accept link to either the 2-button or the 14-button remotes so it is effectively dead (and it is only part way down), and another that won't hold a direction or limit setting (and I have 12v), and the driver shade just lost its settings on the night shade. Using the manual to try and reset linkages or limits is a PITA to follow (do this, then this, then this, then this, all before it times out and you have to start over again). Oh, yea and they are loud when the bottom rails bang against the walls while driving.
They stuck small pieces of the fuzzy side of Velcro on ours at the factory. That quieted them down.
__________________
Clay WA5NMR - Ex Snowbird - 1 year, Ex Full timer for 11 years - 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N Workhorse chassis. Honda Accord toad.
Clay L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 03:22 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
bcbounders's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Abbotsford, BC
Posts: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
They stuck small pieces of the fuzzy side of Velcro on ours at the factory. That quieted them down.
Newmar did the same on our day/night pleated blinds to keep them from banging on the window frame... seems to work really well in that application, so it's good to know that will work for the roller shades, too!
__________________
John
2005 Newmar MADP
bcbounders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 04:47 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
gemini5362's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,078
I am interested in all of the people that are looking at roller shades. AS well as all the companies that have gone into putting them as OEM equipment. The only advantage to them I see is that they will be easy to clean. I am looking forward to my new hunter douglas honeycombs for the living room. We were not sure how we would like them and did not want to spend the money for the HD if it was something we were not going to like. We bought a Levelor stringless. ( I think that is what they are called) for the small bedroom window by the bed. It has a button you push and then just push up on the bottom of the blind. It was really cheap and if we had to throw it away because we did not like it was not going to be a big deal. They custom cut it at Lowes to fit the window and it was relatively easy to install. We liked it enough to buy one for the other bedroom window. They look good and they are easy to lift. We considered them for the living room but you cannot get them motorized which was something I wanted. They do not have the blind within the blind so very little R value. and the quality was not nearly as good as the HD blinds. The quality was not a suprise considering they were about 1/4 the price of the same thing in an Hunter Douglas.

When I was a kid you would pull on roller blinds and then they would get hard to get them to lock in place and stay down or they would quit rolling up. Do the people that have them not have that problem any more ?

I noticed the person talking about geting fuzzy side of velcro to stop banging. I have not seen them but supposedly we are getting Magnetic holders to mount on the wall that will hold the bottom of our Honeycombs in place so they will not move around.
__________________
2005 Allegro Bus 38DP
2012 Enclave tow vehicle
No Dogs, No cats.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:20 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Gadget Man's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,090
I just installed MCD shades in my coach. I thought I was buying the “best”, but I am extremely disappointed. Their quality control is some of the worst I have ever seen. I just fired off a letter to MCD’s president. You can read more about my experience in this thread.

I really regret not ordering AutoMotion shades...

Craig
__________________
2005 Fleetwood Providence 39J
CAT C7 350, MP-8 Programmer

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:25 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
bcbounders's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Abbotsford, BC
Posts: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Man View Post
I just installed MCD shades in my coach. I thought I was buying the “best”, but I am extremely disappointed. Their quality control is some of the worst I have ever seen. I just fired off a letter to MCD’s president. You can read more about my experience in this thread.

I really regret not ordering AutoMotion shades...

Craig
Hi Craig,

I've been following that thread very closely... and your experience is a lot of the reason that I've been hesitant about this whole decision. MCD has the name recognition and marketing hype, but it really sounds like their growing pains are resulting in poor quality control. I certainly don't want to drop the money on upgrading 11+ windows to MCDs only to have trouble with them (either from the start or down the road).

Sorry to hear that your tribulations continue. I hope MCD is able to make things right for you at some point... and that you have years of trouble-free use from them after that!
__________________
John
2005 Newmar MADP
bcbounders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:22 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Gadget Man's Avatar
 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,090
Input on Roller Shade Manufacturers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbounders View Post
....I hope MCD is able to make things right for you at some point... and that you have years of trouble-free use from them after that!

Thank you sir, so do I. I'm sure they will be fine after the dust settles and the yelling stops, LOL!

Craig
__________________
2005 Fleetwood Providence 39J
CAT C7 350, MP-8 Programmer

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:27 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Redding
Posts: 3,412
Wow!

Remote controlled shades?

In an 8.5 foot wide coach?

Sure are happy with our efficient 20 year old day\night shades anchored top and bottom with no rattles.

Have had to replace a few strings but that's all in 97,000 miles.
__________________
Dean
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:49 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
gemini5362's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Wow!

Remote controlled shades?

In an 8.5 foot wide coach?

Sure are happy with our efficient 20 year old day\night shades anchored top and bottom with no rattles.

Have had to replace a few strings but that's all in 97,000 miles.
Hmmm
I am sure you never considered that there might be people with physical limitations that make it hard to move the day/night shades.

I have replaced the string on my largest one twice in the last year and a half. I am sure i am doing something wrong but whatever the reason I have had to do that. When i went to new shades I have 6 shades that were going to need to be restringed.

My reason for wanting remote control is because i am basically lazy and I would rather push a button than fight with trying to get the day/night shades pushed up.


I am glad your shades work well for you. I did not feel those type of shades worked for me anymore.
__________________
2005 Allegro Bus 38DP
2012 Enclave tow vehicle
No Dogs, No cats.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:00 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
gemini5362's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,078
BCbounders,

Lot of choices and a very expensive decision. If you are not sure what looks good do what i did and try to find something cheap and try it. The bedroom window by the bed is only 19 inches. I think the Levelor honeycomb blind for that was only 38.00 if you buy the off the shelf and have them cut it down. I took down the day/night shade and the valance ( wife does not want to leave them on) and took about 30 min to install the levelor. The first time I pushed the levelor up I never wanted to go back to the day/night shades. The one for the other bedroom window is 49 inches. You push the locking button in the middle and with no effort push it up out of the way. It actually blocks more light without the valances than the day/night shade did. The day/night shade allows some light in around the holes where the string is. If you can wait about three more weeks before you make a decision i should have my Hunter/Douglas shades in and installed. I am going to post pictures of them when i get done. I can tell you for sure i will never go back to the original day/night shades.

Pricewise the levelor are pretty cheap I think the ones to fit the 69 inch windows in the living room area are 109.00 and they cut them to the right length. I did not like the quality in comparison to the Hunter Douglas but if I did not want motorized I might have saved the 3000.00 difference in price for the living room area and went with the Levelors. The levelors do have one big advantage. They only have a very few colors you do not have to spend hours deciding what color to buy.
__________________
2005 Allegro Bus 38DP
2012 Enclave tow vehicle
No Dogs, No cats.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:16 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
bcbounders's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Abbotsford, BC
Posts: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
BCbounders,

Lot of choices and a very expensive decision. If you are not sure what looks good do what i did and try to find something cheap and try it. The bedroom window by the bed is only 19 inches. I think the Levelor honeycomb blind for that was only 38.00 if you buy the off the shelf and have them cut it down. I took down the day/night shade and the valance ( wife does not want to leave them on) and took about 30 min to install the levelor. The first time I pushed the levelor up I never wanted to go back to the day/night shades. The one for the other bedroom window is 49 inches. You push the locking button in the middle and with no effort push it up out of the way. It actually blocks more light without the valances than the day/night shade did. The day/night shade allows some light in around the holes where the string is. If you can wait about three more weeks before you make a decision i should have my Hunter/Douglas shades in and installed. I am going to post pictures of them when i get done. I can tell you for sure i will never go back to the original day/night shades.

Pricewise the levelor are pretty cheap I think the ones to fit the 69 inch windows in the living room area are 109.00 and they cut them to the right length. I did not like the quality in comparison to the Hunter Douglas but if I did not want motorized I might have saved the 3000.00 difference in price for the living room area and went with the Levelors. The levelors do have one big advantage. They only have a very few colors you do not have to spend hours deciding what color to buy.
gemini,

Thanks for the update. I'm not in any rush, so I'll gladly wait the time it takes for your HDs to arrive and be installed. I'm curious to see how it all works out for you. Sounds like an interesting option.

Question for you (I've looked, but can't find an answer): do you know if it's possible to have a day/night option with the Hunter Douglas cellular shades? I like the option of being able to have filtered light (with privacy) OR complete darkness... and from what I can see of the HD cellular shades, it's one or the other, not both.

I also like the idea of the HD "LiteRise" option... just pull the blind up/down to where you want it and it stays put. Really simple mechanism... and a lot easier to install. Plus no motors to worry about replacing in the future.

Thanks!
__________________

__________________
John
2005 Newmar MADP
bcbounders is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shade Motors DSL417 Entegra Owner's Forum 19 05-13-2015 06:39 AM
Annoying MCD shade squeak Jupiter MH-General Discussions & Problems 4 04-25-2015 09:47 PM
Replacing 2013 Entegra Shade Motors DSL417 Entegra Owner's Forum 6 07-04-2014 06:19 PM
Electric windshield shade repair. Edouard National RV Owner's Forum 12 06-05-2014 11:50 PM
Replacing existing shade with MCD manual roller shade faraway Newmar Owner's Forum 4 01-12-2014 01:57 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.