Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #1

Input/Thoughts Needed

Greetings! Was hopeful that i could get some insight and opinions from the community.

I work in the entertainment industry and have spent the better part of the last 20 years running up and down the road all over the country in high end entertainer coaches. All of which have been leased for by my clients.

Im at a place in my life where im looking to make the move into getting my own coach for my travel and upgrade my quality of life, but quite frankly cannot afford a those higher end busses, and in my experience the maintenance end of them scares me to death because it just seems that every time that i have been on one that broke down the cost of repair was always insanely high.

Ive been considering a nice Class A RV, but im curious is to just how realistic it is from both a wear and tear, and comfort standpoint to go as hard as I do. Im guessing I'd probably be putting 30k miles a year on it or so.....and not unusual to be doing 500 miles overnight in between cities...night after night......(with a driver of course).... are they built well for sleeping comfortably in the rear state room while rolling down the road? Do they ride well enough to be working at the table while rolling down the road without getting tossed all over the place, Are they built well to run 30k a year, year after year..... etc etc.... Are maintenance costs really high??

Sorry for so many questions......Just trying to educate myself and not make a $200k mistake in either direction. Of course I've been talking to my friends who work in the entertainer coach leasing business who are all trying to talk my out of an RV saying "Their not built for what we do", and then of course any RV salesman is telling me they are great choice for what im looking to do.....and their built and ride great, etc etc.

Not sure what to do........ thoughts? Appreciate any input you all could provide.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #2

Welcome Aboard. We have a friend in the entertainment business. He used to travel the country in a class a diesel, and did about 200 shows a year. Of course he had some issues with the coach, but seldom was the problem with the drive line or chassis.

Class A diesel pushers in my opinion, are pretty well built. We often travel 500 miles a day in ours, with no problems. We have averaged ~12K miles per year., but the diesel drive trains in a DP are capable of making 400-500k miles or more The chassis on DPs are either bus or truck chassis, and very well built. The issues you may have IMHO, will have to do with the RV manufacturer part of the unit, ie: the inside lay out, furniture, appliances, etc. I assume you are traveling with a band or other people. Depending on the lay out of the coach, you may have to do some modifications to sleep everyone. We have never slept on our bedroom bed over the diesel while going down the road, but I would think it would be pretty noisy. Good luck with your decision. Hope this helps some.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #3

Thanks so much for the input! All great info! For me it will basically just be myself, and maybe one other person from time to time..... my clients will still have their busses with their band/crew etc...this is mainly for me as i bounce from show to show, client to client throughout the year.....

Ive been looking at the Forest River, Tiffin, and Coachmen interiors.

I'd be interested to see how noisy the bedroom over the DP engine would be.....pretty loud even in entertainer coaches.

Thanks!!
Old 07-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
John Madden thought they worked pretty good.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:56 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfbatonrg View Post
Welcome Aboard. We have a friend in the entertainment business. He used to travel the country in a class a diesel, and did about 200 shows a year. Of course he had some issues with the coach, but seldom was the problem with the drive line or chassis.

Class A diesel pushers in my opinion, are pretty well built. We often travel 500 miles a day in ours, with no problems. We have averaged ~12K miles per year., but the diesel drive trains in a DP are capable of making 400-500k miles or more The chassis on DPs are either bus or truck chassis, and very well built. The issues you may have IMHO, will have to do with the RV manufacturer part of the unit, ie: the inside lay out, furniture, appliances, etc. I assume you are traveling with a band or other people. Depending on the lay out of the coach, you may have to do some modifications to sleep everyone. We have never slept on our bedroom bed over the diesel while going down the road, but I would think it would be pretty noisy. Good luck with your decision. Hope this helps some.
I agree. My wife find the bedroom too noisy to use during travel, but she does emails and reads going down the road just fine.

The drive train will do fine. Two oil changes with filters a year at Speedco will cost about $600.

You are coming from a purpose built bus chassis experience. Why not look at them first? You can find older Prevosts in your price range that are well maintained. The coaches built on Roadmaster and Dynomax chassis's are worth considering as are the Mountainmaster chassis. You will find a floor plan on any of those you can live with.

If you don't buy a good chassis then the interior won't stay nice with that many miles. Unschedued maintenance is expensive. Anytime I spend less than $1000 on breakdown type items I feel ahead. The higher end Coaches will have better furniture, think Villa instead of Flexsteel. They will wear better.

Lastly, you will drive it and live in it, buy what you like. Enjoy the journey.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:02 AM   #6

Go for a class 8 Super C . Easy to maintain, very quiet rear bedroom while traveling.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:41 AM   #7

I would also suggest that an older Prevost conversion is your best bet - they are the same chassis that entertainer coaches have been made from for decades and they are the same ones that coach companies use to haul people across the country day in and day out.

A Class A is primarily designed as a vacation tool - yes, some of us use them fulltime but generally we don't travel 30k a year - that's no vacation! Yes there are some very high end units but they only really function well when the slides are out - you need one that functions well with no slides hence the Prevost - for $200k you can find some really nice ones!