Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2011, 10:17 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Ins Recommendations for First-Time MH Owner

I am buying my first motorhome and would appreciate any recommendations on RV insurance. Cars, house, and umbrella are currently with Allstate and have been for over 40 years. Would love to hear your thoughts, experiences, things to avoid, etc. Thanks much.

Bob Z

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi bzumwalt,
Welcome to iRV2. Consider an insurance broker that specializes in motor coach insurance. I have used Farm & City for several years. Their contact information is 800-331-1520. They will lead you through the items to include in your policy. It is up to you to select which items to include and at what amount. There are three items for you to consider. Make sure the liability meets the minimum for the umbrella policy. Once purchased you must contact the umbrella carrier and have the coach added. Lastly, consider the amount of personal effects coverage you want. The minimum included is around $3K. For a coach, you may need to consider a higher amount.

Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzumwalt View Post
I am buying my first motorhome and would appreciate any recommendations on RV insurance. Cars, house, and umbrella are currently with Allstate and have been for over 40 years. Would love to hear your thoughts, experiences, things to avoid, etc. Thanks much.

Bob Z
If your motor home is new you might want to check out GMAC INS through Good Sam. They have full replacement insurance for the first 5 years.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:47 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Not to hijack but I was getting ready to post when I saw this thread so I am looking also. We recently moved from California to West Texas(glad to be back in my home state). The registration and insurance is due up soon so I am going to register in Texas now. I own a 2009 Monaco Camelot, called up Progressive and for the same coverage that cost $1235 in California it is $3528 in Texas. I do have the total loss replacement coverage but even going with actual value only reduces by $900. It is now time to start shopping. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.
I have yet to check on the cost of registration in Texas but I do believe it will be much cheaper than in California. Last years registration was $2261.
3 more years and we will retire to Florida and all will be well
Old 03-11-2011, 08:35 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfran304 View Post
If your motor home is new you might want to check out GMAC INS through Good Sam. They have full replacement insurance for the first 5 years.

Jon

I forgot to include that GEICO was actually the cheapest for us but they didn't cover the coach for full replacement cost.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:05 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Bob Z
Bob, I would second GaryKD's recommendation. Take a look at Farm & City Insurance Services, 1-800-331-1520. They are an Insurance Broker located in Forest City, IA. They specialize in RV insurance. Very knowledgeable. Will help you with options that fit your particular coverage needs. Had been with Allstate when I first insured the MH. Did some comparison shopping last summer, and as a result of some posts on this forum contacted Farm & City. They came up with the best coverage at the most competitive price.

Monaco38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:22 AM   #7

I would highly recommend Overland Insurance; www.myrvquote.com
beat my Good Sam cost by $300.00 and more than doubled the coverage I had. It can't hurt to get a quote.

Steve
Old 03-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #8

Progressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by srx-6 View Post
Not to hijack but I was getting ready to post when I saw this thread so I am looking also. We recently moved from California to West Texas(glad to be back in my home state). The registration and insurance is due up soon so I am going to register in Texas now. I own a 2009 Monaco Camelot, called up Progressive and for the same coverage that cost $1235 in California it is $3528 in Texas. I do have the total loss replacement coverage but even going with actual value only reduces by $900. It is now time to start shopping. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.
I have yet to check on the cost of registration in Texas but I do believe it will be much cheaper than in California. Last years registration was $2261.
3 more years and we will retire to Florida and all will be well
Progressive raised my rates 25% this year in Ga. for no reason. I won't have them next year.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Same with me about Progressive, two years in a row.

As of this past month I no longer have them. Called Gilbert RV Insurance in Orlando Fl. changed right after talking to them, they sell insurance from several different companies so can give you several quotes.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:26 AM   #10

We've been insured with Foremost since 1995 and have enjoyed excellent hassle-free claim service. Annual premium under $1k for full coverage with $250 deductible. Also includes emergency tow service for both coach and towed vehicle.

I would highly recommend Foremost based on our experience.

Good luck with your choice

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:20 PM   #11

Quote:

Bob Z
Hi,

Coincidentally, we are also insured with Allstate for home, cars, etc. We did a bit of price shopping and found Allstate to be close enough with all the cross policy discounts.

Then, BOOM, a rock slide hit our 8 month old A class while on the freeway. Costs were into the tens of thousands for repair. Allstate was a peach to work with (a tad slow, but worked well with the shop and covered everything completely). FWIW...

We're still with Allstate.

Mike
Old 03-17-2011, 03:24 AM   #12

What ever you do make sure you get windshield replacement coverage. It doesn't add that much to your policy and well worth it if you have to replace that $1000+ windshield someday.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:25 AM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
ive been using national interstate here is there info National Interstate pay about 800 a yr full coverage in fl oh and they just fixed my windshield yesterday
Old 03-25-2011, 10:07 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks

Thanks to all for your tips and suggestions. We were in a bit of a time crunch due to our closing date and wound up going with Farm and City for our 2006 Fleetwood Discovery. The premium is under $100/month, which is about what I expected. Will do more shopping further down the road, but had a good experience with FCIS and am satisfied for the present.

Thanks for making a newbie feel welcome!

Bob

Tags
first-time owner, insurance