Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2011, 02:36 PM   #1

Spartan Chassis
Inside Dual - No Pressure Indication

I have a braided valve stem extension on inside dual and can not measure air pressure nor add air to tire. Braided extension has a long core that appears to make contact with core in tire. My guess is the core inside the tire mounted stem is stuck.
Is it normal to leave valve core in the tire stem and have a second core in the braided extenson?
Has anyone had any success unsticking a core on an inside dual without dismounting the outside dual?

rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2011, 04:37 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
there are two types of extensions, airless and standard. the airless has a long thin wire that presses against the valve stem and opens the valve core to air up the tire. This type has no pressure in the extension, unless pressed in. the idea is the extension can not leak and deflate the tire. Sometimes this thin wire misses the valve core and you can't get it to take air. To make sure you don't have a flat, Hit the tire with a large hammer. Both tires should sound the same. A flat tire will have a dull thud.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Robert, are you using beads in the tire for balancing?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 10:36 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
The "Airless" ones are adjustable. If there is a locknut, it's an ajustable airless extension. You loosen the locknut, then thread the end in or out of the braided section, then relock it.

There is a very fine line between "don't work at all" "works" and "Leaks"
Old 04-28-2011, 08:48 AM   #5

Spartan Chassis
Mine are the ariless type and I am not using any kind of balancing beads inside the tires.

Both tires "thump" the same so I know I have air, just not how much!

I will check the adjustment feature today.

Thanks for the help,
bob g
Old 04-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I dunno if this applies here, but............
I normally check the air pressures on all the tires prior to leaving on a trip. I had the braded extensions on the duals. On one set of duals I had a pressure reading on the outside dual and a 0 reading on the inside dual. What I found was that the braiding had rubbed on the stainless steel liner and gone all the way thru the rubber to create a leak. The abrasion was not easily noticable with a casual inspection.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
rag_ftw,

This won't solve your immediate problem but it will replace those troublesome valve stem extension problems.

It's called the "Dually Valve Stems". There are no parts to press on the wheel inner Schrader valve- because the only Schrader valve is located at the outside end of the Dually Valve Stem. They will provide Schrader valves designed for "Equal" balancing powder, as I have.
I bought a set of these (have them in a bay with me) and the very next time I have an extension problem, which I've had many problems with, the set of wheels will be removed and the Dually Valves Stems will be put on. The company recommends you lay the two tires stacked flat on the ground and bend (by hand) the inner chrome plated brass stem to fit the application (mines 9 1/2" long) through the provided rubber stabilizer (It's just a rubber grommet with a small hole in it) that locates in the OUTER wheels hand hole cut outs.
I'm tired of having extension problems, with pressure sensors on them, trying to adjust valve pressures.

Good luck,
Old 04-28-2011, 12:24 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been thinking the same thing as Max's post. Please let us know what you decide and how it works out.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:15 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwalt View Post
I have been thinking the same thing as Max's post. Please let us know what you decide and how it works out.
I had Dually Valves installed last November when I replaced all of my tires. They sure make it easy to check and add air.

The furnished grommets in the hand holes of the inside duals also provide a stable support for my PressurePro sensors.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:07 PM   #10

Spartan Chassis
Thumbs up Dually Valves

Thanks to all for the informative replies. My dually valves were ordered yesterday!
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 07:47 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich View Post
rag_ftw,

This won't solve your immediate problem but it will replace those troublesome valve stem extension problems.

It's called the "Dually Valve Stems". There are no parts to press on the wheel inner Schrader valve- because the only Schrader valve is located at the outside end of the Dually Valve Stem. They will provide Schrader valves designed for "Equal" balancing powder, as I have.
I bought a set of these (have them in a bay with me) and the very next time I have an extension problem, which I've had many problems with, the set of wheels will be removed and the Dually Valves Stems will be put on. The company recommends you lay the two tires stacked flat on the ground and bend (by hand) the inner chrome plated brass stem to fit the application (mines 9 1/2" long) through the provided rubber stabilizer (It's just a rubber grommet with a small hole in it) that locates in the OUTER wheels hand hole cut outs.
I'm tired of having extension problems, with pressure sensors on them, trying to adjust valve pressures.

Good luck,
Shoot and I just put on new tires! These sure look better than the braided extensions.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:26 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich View Post
rag_ftw,

SNIP The company recommends you lay the two tires stacked flat on the ground and bend (by hand) the inner chrome plated brass stem to fit the application (mines 9 1/2" long) through the provided rubber stabilizer (It's just a rubber grommet with a small hole in it) that locates in the OUTER wheels hand hole cut outs.
SNIP

Good luck,
OUTER hand hole - that's what I meant to say. Not in the inside dual like I posted but outside dual.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:10 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Has anyone tried the systems that tie the duals together and balance the air pressure between them?

Dual Dynamics Crossfire
Old 05-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't think they would be offer a cost savings for RV tires for most people since most RV tires still have great tread when they have to be replaced because of age.

Also doesn't appear that they will work with tire pressure monitoring systems. That is a deal breaker for me.