Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2015, 07:56 AM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
If you are looking for something with bunks, nicer interiors, and a better built coach, you should widen your seach to Tiffin products. Their Allegro Open Road models are probably the best value for the money going and Tiffin really stands behind their products - unlike many of the manufacturers mentioned previously in this thread.

luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2015, 08:39 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
If you are looking for something with bunks, nicer interiors, and a better built coach, you should widen your seach to Tiffin products. Their Allegro Open Road models are probably the best value for the money going and Tiffin really stands behind their products - unlike many of the manufacturers mentioned previously in this thread.
I would have liked to consider Tiffin, unfortunately their bunkhouse is almost 37' long! It's also significantly more expensive than the short entry level gas coaches we have been discussing. You would be approaching entry level diesel pusher prices with one.

The shortest gas coach Tiffin makes is over 33', IMO they are neglecting the smaller entry level market, I think they could do well there as they seem well made.

The good thing is though if you have the space and are ok with the longer length, the Allegro bunkhouse is pretty common in the used market so you can find good deals on an older one, but even a few years old was more expensive than my new Winnie.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:51 AM   #31

Ford Super Duty Owner
Any issues with the really long (full wall?) slides like on the Winnebago Vista 31be? Looks like the kitchen is on that slide, so lots of stuff moving around... Also, structurally, that's a huge hole in the side of the coach. I like the floorplan, just wondering about future trouble spots. Or is this "technology" (slide mechanisms, structural design, plumbing & utilities) pretty well sorted by now?

2000 Jayco 3230K Designer
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:03 AM   #32

I haven't had any issues with my full wall slide in the Winnie yet, but I haven't had it very long either.

I have been watching the reports on the Schwintek slide issues since Thor started having them in their Palazzo FWS with kitchen etc. Last year Thor went to a triple track design on the Schwintek FWS's in all the lines including the 30.2 ACE which is nearly identical to the Vista 31be. I never heard of it having issues on the smaller ACE before and I have heard no failures of the 3-trax design as they call it on the Palazzo with heavier slide.

My Winnie instead has a Powergear slide mechanism. It seems to be a newer design made to compete against Schwintek, then Lippert bought Powergear right at the peak of their problems with the Schwinteks last year, hmmm. Looks like Winnebago stopped using Schwintek this year.

So far the Powergear on my FWS seems to have no issue moving it in and out. The slide itself seems well made. The large single slide really allows the floorplan to work and adds huge space to such a small coach when out.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:23 AM   #33
WDW

I have to chime in on length. We were there when we looked at 32'class c. I thought it was huge. We SERIOUSLY looked at 28' and the Trend. The deal became a 32' Greyhawk which when adjusted drove like an SUV. But alas 32' was too small. EVERYONE told us- but I couldn't see driving anything bigger. We now have a Coachmen Mirada bunk which is 36'10" -- this works for us. My point is that unless your driveway is the issue, don't limit yourself to 32' because driving a 37' is not significantly different.

Taking in the sights ...where my Trolley takes me.

2016 Coachmen Mirada 35BH
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:24 AM   #34

for bunkhouse models, look at Thor Palazzo 33.3 and the TuscanyXTE line, as well as the ForestRiver Legacy for Diesel Pushers.
the Thor Challenger bunkhouse is also very similar to the Palazzo, but with FordV10 gas, and 1 1/2 baths I believe.
a really upscale option is most of the Newmar lines offer the bunkhouse, and most of their bunkhouse models provide more of a 'private' two door bunk room, instead of the open hallway as most of the others.

in our Palazzo, we've had no issues with the Full Wall slide, though the Fridge is not in the slide in this layout. we have replaced a motor in the bedroom slide twice, though it's much less of a 'major' issue than if it had happened to the main slide.
I wouldn't concern myself with the capabilities of the full wall slide setup, it's been done and continues by most every major rv manufacturer, including fifth-wheels types. while the 'big hole' seems like a concern, remember that it is really only a hole while the slide is extended - while driving I would think that the structure is somewhat the same.

'14 FordFocus, KingTailgater2 DishHD, 200w/10a mobile SOLAR, 75,000+ miles
all continental US states, Alaska, and yes, most of Canada!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:39 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW View Post
My point is that unless your driveway is the issue, don't limit yourself to 32' because driving a 37' is not significantly different.
Unfortunately for me my driveway is the issue, I thought I might be able to get away with a 33-34' coach but after getting this 32' in I have no room to spare:

Click image for larger version

Name:	vista driveway.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	489.9 KB
ID:	112072

I agree though if you have the room don't be afraid of longer coaches, you get used driving them pretty quick. Although the longer you go the more money you spend typically and you might limit your self on state parks etc depending on where you like to camp.

I am very happy with the size of ours for now. I can see going larger in the future depending on the driveway situation (don't want to store it).
Old 11-16-2015, 09:49 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
for bunkhouse models, look at Thor Palazzo 33.3 and the TuscanyXTE line, as well as the ForestRiver Legacy for Diesel Pushers.
the Thor Challenger bunkhouse is also very similar to the Palazzo, but with FordV10 gas, and 1 1/2 baths I believe.
The Miramar is the direct gas equivalent to the Palazzo, they are nearly identical in systems and finishes. however the Miramar does king bed and armless awnings and the wireless remote for slides and about 30-40k less in price. ACE is 20k less than that.

I know I almost bought a Palazzo thinking I could fit its 34' 6" length in my driveway and wanting diesel. But just realized I need to start smaller and cheaper with something I could for sure fit. Really liked the Miramar too.

If I had no space or money worries I would be looking at the Tuscany XTE 40BX and other similar floorplans, thats a nice bunk setup! Although I do like mid entry on the gas coaches under the big awning, ah well need to just get a custom mid entry Newell bunkhouse comissioned!
Old 11-16-2015, 10:03 AM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bounder

We recently purchased a FW Bounder 33C. We do not have young kids, however with the TV mid floor and one up front and one exterior and one in the bdrm is enough to keep everyone happy. We recently traveled with another couple and it worked out great with four people in it. It is a great flooplan. Easy to drive, not overwhelming in size but packs a lot of storage space for your toys!
Old 11-16-2015, 11:35 AM   #38

I don't know where you live but that can play a role in your purchase decision. If your anywhere near Decatur Indiana give the Fleetwoods priority. They have a factory service center there that is top notch. There is a 99% chance there will be issues with any coach you buy, some small some not so small. Dealer service departments can be iffy, especially at the beginning of the season, and frankly the service dept at the place I bought my last coach from were oxygen thieves. (Northside Rv Lexington KY). To say the Fleetwood service center saved the day is an understatement, they are so good it would take me a lot to get me to buy any other brand.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 02:35 PM   #39

We have a 2010 Fleetwood Encounter 32BH, which is the same as the Storm (Fleetwood was sued over the name and had to change it.) We bought it second hand in excellent condition, it is well built considering its an entry-level level coach., very few problems at all, and no major problems.

One piece of advice would be don't rely on the sofa and dinette for sleeping on a regular basis. It can be a chore to have to set-up and break-down every day. We tried that in our last RV, so went on the search for enough beds for all 6 of us.

The drop-down bed up front is really nice, but our kids usually compete over who will get to sleep in one of the amidship bunks. They are the treasured spots. Sometimes we will only make up the top bunk and raise it out of the way during the day. The table makes a great place for the DW and I to pretend we're having quiet dinner for two. Plus the kids like to work on projects at that table, too. So don't discount the bunks, if you only use the top one, your kids may find it more valuable in the long run if only one of them can sleep it in each trip.

One thing that Fleetwood changed in the Storms a couple of years ago was the layout of the kitchen. Ours has about a foot and a half more counter space. IIRC it was because they switched the dinette and the sofa to opposite sides, so there was considerably less room for counter space.

Hope this helps. Just remember to be patient and wait for the right MH to show up. Don't discount looking for a newer used one either. Most units have build problems right off the factory floor. Getting a gently used one that's been taken care of, will most like have had all those problems fixed by the time you get it.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:47 PM   #40

Insight on some entry level Class A models?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtoste77 View Post
I agreed with you up until I realized there is no oven. As we were watching a YouTube video someone pointed out that there was no oven to be seen in it. After reviewing the Fleetwood site it doesn't look like they included an oven. Most be the convection microwave. If that's the case it may no longer be an option..

I hear you. I did not even notice. Of course I don't think I have used the oven at home in the last ten years. Keep looking. You will find something with most of what you want. May have to sacrifice one thing for another at some point. I traded a trailer for my coach this spring. Wanted the FR3 until I drove it. Whatever you buy, drive it first!

Saw he Flair later in the summer. Too late. So, I will enjoy this one and see what is around in six to ten years.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:57 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
We have an all electric so have the convection microwave. Took some getting used to but Janet is quite liking it. Actually started using the convection in the oven at home because of the convection in the coach.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:15 PM   #42
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtoste77 View Post
I agreed with you up until I realized there is no oven. As we were watching a YouTube video someone pointed out that there was no oven to be seen in it. After reviewing the Fleetwood site it doesn't look like they included an oven. Most be the convection microwave. If that's the case it may no longer be an option..
The propane oven is becoming an option in some RV's.

Electric coach's are propane free...Heat is coming from heat pumps and heat strips, cooking is electric microwave/convection, radiant an/or induction cooktops and the Fridges are residence compressor style.

This is not good for boondocking because when you are away from a campground with full hook-ups, the generator is running for these systems and/or to keep the battery bank charged from a big inverter running

We have all the traditional LP systems (2way fridge, Stove w/ oven, Furnace) and use them all. They are efficient, quiet and mostly maint free.

Lacking these systems would be an issue for the way we use our RV...YMMV.

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a