Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-18-2015, 11:12 AM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
The propane oven is becoming an option in some RV's.

Electric coach's are propane free...Heat is coming from heat pumps and heat strips, cooking is electric microwave/convection, radiant an/or induction cooktops and the Fridges are residence compressor style.

This is not good for boondocking because when you are away from a campground with full hook-ups, the generator is running for these systems and/or to keep the battery bank charged from a big inverter running

We have all the traditional LP systems (2way fridge, Stove w/ oven, Furnace) and use them all. They are efficient, quiet and mostly maint free.

Lacking these systems would be an issue for the way we use our RV...YMMV.

Best luck
Not having done any boon docking other than overnight I have a question.

In your opinion is it more or less costly/convenient to run the generator every day to maintain the all electric or run on propane and occasional generator?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-18-2015, 01:10 PM   #44
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Not having done any boon docking other than overnight I have a question.

In your opinion is it more or less costly/convenient to run the generator every day to maintain the all electric or run on propane and occasional generator?
That's an easy one...
Take the biggest "net" user of energy - heat.

For a conventional RV with LP:
To cook...LP burns in the stove - simple and silent.
For heating, the LP makes the heat - 12VDC fan blows the warm air - batteries "should" be able to feed the furnace power overnight or more.

For an all electric coach:
To cook (everyone is up and active), the genie can be running - no problem.
For heating, if using a heatpump or heat strips in the AirCon...the genie is most probably gonna need to run (depending on battery/inverter capacity) like while everyone is snoozing., This is not much problem for the occupants inside, but not so nice for the neighbors.
If you have an AquaHot for Heating, then it is basically the same as a LP furnace (uses Diesel to heat water for the heat-exchanger) - right?

For conventional RV's, the top-off of the batteries doesn't ever require the genie (like there's a nice solar set-up or if driving the RV that day - engine charge to the house batteries).
We and most folks seem do this genie-run in the morning with the coffeemaker and toaster being used....YMMV.

Both systems (all electric or conventional) are good and seem to be tailored to different use type. It's all in what you need

Safe travels

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 02:02 AM   #45

Thanks everyone. We went back and forth and it came down to the Winnebago Vista 31be and Georgetown G3 Series. Test drove them both today and when it was all said and done we decided with the Winnebago. It drove better, engine noise was much less then the FR not to mention the finish just seemed better all around. We just felt more comfortable driving it. When we looked at the FR there seemed to be a ton of water leaking through the slides (when they closed them) so much so that there were streaks and stains on the floor. We also didn't like the vinyl interior roof. There were marks, and glue stains everywhere. We also felt like you could see the finish of the cabinets already wearing in some spots.

The Vista was the right one for us. We opted for the 31be vs the 31ke. With the U shaped dinette in the ke , Winnebago only recommends using 1 car seat and we like the option of using two for our two young kids in the bench dinette. The kids were also very excited when they found out they'll have bunks.

We should be picking it up in about a week and can't wait to take our first trip!
Old 12-27-2015, 07:46 AM   #46

We love our 31be so far with 5k miles on it. It wasn't perfect, it had a windshield leak on the lot Lazy Days fixed before we took possession and the dog house didn't fit tight on the drivers side letting some noise through that I resolved with some weather stripping. I would definitely get a rear track bar to reduce getting pushed around on the road by trucks and wind, this is an issue with all F53's. If you have any vibration at highway speed I would get it checked out, been a lot of issues with the 19.5 goodyears lately.

Otherwise its been a perfect setup, the floorpan is great for us and our two kids in only 32ft, the full wall slide really opens it up. The large slide has been working perfect, it really seems like the Powergear mechanism is a better design than the Schwinteck. I really like all the basement storage it has, more than all the others in this size I looked at. The V10 with 6-speed has been great, only getting 7 mpg with the generator running so far.
Old 12-27-2015, 08:15 AM   #47

Congrats
Just a reminder if I was buying a new coach today it would be on the 2016 6 speed chassis. I've talked with several new coach purchasers on here recently and none of them were told by the dealers about the newer chassis. Just something I want you to be aware of.
z3406 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:03 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3406 View Post
Congrats
Just a reminder if I was buying a new coach today it would be on the 2016 6 speed chassis. I've talked with several new coach purchasers on here recently and none of them were told by the dealers about the newer chassis. Just something I want you to be aware of.
The Vista 31be is a new floorpan for 2016, I think there might have been a few made with a 2015 chassis, like the one Lichtsinn has that was one of the first made which was shown by Winnebago back in April. All the ones I have seen around have the 6-speed, which I highly recommend getting.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:44 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3406 View Post
Congrats
Great point. Yes it's the 6speed transmission. It probably explains why the drive was quieter and it didn't seem to scream as much as some of the other models we test drove.
Old 12-31-2015, 07:14 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Have you looked at the storm 35sk,new floor plan for 2016,a little longer but price is not bad.It has overhead bed over cab seats,bath and a half,nice shower with seat in full bath,did I say price wasn't bad?......

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
rapid rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 12:27 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid rick View Post
Have you looked at the storm 35sk,new floor plan for 2016,a little longer but price is not bad.It has overhead bed over cab seats,bath and a half,nice shower with seat in full bath,did I say price wasn't bad?......
The 35 is too long for us. We did check out the 32V and the 32H. With the 32H the lack of counter space and the layout of the kitchen i.e. The way the stove blocked the sink with the slide in, was something we didn't like. We thought the 32V was a little better. We live liked the storage layout and space better in the Vista we purchased. We have two young kids in car seats and with the Vista the storage is big enough to where we can store the car seats out of sight when at the camp sites.

Tags
class a