Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2015, 04:53 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Inspection

My inspection goes out this month, and was wondering where everyone goes, to get theirs done. How much is it??? Do they go out and drive the coach???
Rcandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2015, 05:07 AM   #2

Local oil change place no they don't drive it
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:41 AM   #3

Any place that does auto inspections should be able to do it. The biggest concern is getting in & out of some shops.
Old 03-23-2015, 07:40 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcandvicki View Post
My inspection goes out this month, and was wondering where everyone goes, to get theirs done. How much is it??? Do they go out and drive the coach???
It is just a safety inspection in Texas and the cost should be $25.25 since the law changed March 1 and they are no longer putting inspection stickers on vehicles. The $14.25 you think you might save is just being added to your registration fee. Keep your inspection certificate. If it has been inspected during this changeover year they will let you register without re inspection. Next year you have to get it inspected within ninety days before you can register.

Yes, some inspectors do drive the MH to test the brakes and steering. I use a local oil change service and he has driven it every year.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:04 AM   #5

Just had mine done for the first time. We used a place in Grapevine, TX. Took about 5 minutes and they did not enter the house. No way i would let any inspector drive it.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 03:40 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ok new law in Texas on inspection as of first of march this year. The vehicle must be inspected when you register your vehicle. I just got mine done and the guy told me do in before the registration runs out this way they will be the same time and he said it is written in the law for this.This way you can remember when it is due.Just remove it if you are out of state right now. I had my daughters car done and she gets over a 15 months on her inspection.
and you have 3 months after due date before they pull your registration
Old 03-28-2015, 05:05 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I live in NC, NC started doing the electronic inspections in conjuction with registration & property tax about 3 years ago. Works out pretty good for remembering when you need insp/reg at the same time. Actually we have 90 days to get it completed.

Doesn't Texas require a non comercial cdl type lic if over 26001lb. If an inspector is going to drive your motor home & it weighs more than 26001 lb I would make sure the inspector is properly lic before I would let him drive my motor home. We have the same requirerment in NC & I have never had the inspector drive any of my motor homes.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:51 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes it's the same here but most inspectors make the owner drive the rv and have you do the stopping check so they are not responsible for broken stuff. They crawl all over it and do a good look.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 03-28-2015, 07:29 PM   #9

I just did one in TX. Cost was $7 and all they check are lights, blinkers, brakes, and horn. That's it! 😜

1996 Country Coach Intrigue 😜
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote