Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #1

Inspection camera

How did I get by without one of the for all these years. This will come in handy for so many projects. For the last few days I have been rerouting some coax cable from one side of the coach to the other and wanted to run it concealed in the front overhead behind the front window. No way that I wanted to start taking the upper panels down but although I could loosen a couple of screws to barely see under it I could not see what path I could fish my cables through. So I looked around and found this at Harbor Freight. It has a 2' extension flexible cable with a light and camera on the head and a small screen on the hand held unit with very good color and picture quality. I could stick this into places that I could not see and was able to tell that I had an opening to run my cable. I was then able to fish a coat hanger through and pull my cable without having to take a bunch of stuff down. It payed for itself right there.

Now I can't wait to try this on some other things, like looking behind the dash and more.

Inspection Camera - Save on this Digital Inspection Camera
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
These cameras are incredibly useful. I have even fed one down the toilet to inspect the inside of the black tank. Yes, I cleaned it real carefully afterwards
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #3

I am planning on not only buying one of these. But I plan on stalling a backup/rear view camera as well. It will come in handy when I'm towing my car and really need to keep an eye on what's going on back there.
cimplexsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdickson View Post
These cameras are incredibly useful. I have even fed one down the toilet to inspect the inside of the black tank. Yes, I cleaned it real carefully afterwards
LOL!!!!!
Old 08-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
You can't beat those harborfreight.com prices. How is the picture quality?
Old 08-10-2013, 04:28 PM   #6

You could even make money on weekends giving colo . . . Naw. Never mind.
Clark Savage Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I like mine. It even records for playback on the computer. Have lots of plans for it.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebreeze View Post
You can't beat those harborfreight.com prices. How is the picture quality?
Very clear with good color and detail. There are adjustment knobs for contract and brightness as well. There are more expensive ones but this one is a good price and does what it is supposed to do. It uses 4 AA batteries.
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
I used mine to inspect the serpentine belt and pulleys on mine. An almost impossible task otherwise considering FL hung the fan in mid air and built the chassis around it.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:10 AM   #10

I'm actually buying one of these as well, but I'm going to get a USB snaking camera. They cost less (~$25-30 range) as well as have less parts to fail. You can also watch it on a big screen (i.e. laptop) and have unlimited video/image recording capability. I saw a bunch of reviews on the Harbor Freight ones about how they keep failing right after the limited warranty expires.

sjkted
Old 08-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
If thinking about one check this out
Waterproof Inspection Snake 4 LED Camera Endoscope Cam Borescope Flexible Wire | eBay

Can't get much cheaper - $16.90 !!!!
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpres View Post
If thinking about one check this out
Waterproof Inspection Snake 4 LED Camera Endoscope Cam Borescope Flexible Wire | eBay

Can't get much cheaper - $16.90 !!!!
Now this sounds promising. I wonder if I could attach that to my Samsung Galaxy S3? I have a short little cable I plug into my phone giving me a usb connection to plug into. With my phone and that $17 camera I could have a handheld for cheap.

I'm going to have to look into this.
Raist11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
You would need a micro USB adapter to attach the mini USB plug to your S3. Then the question would be if the S3 battery provided enough power to light the cable up?

Let us know. Inquisitive minds would like to know at someone else's expense....
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #14

With my motorhome you have to take the radiator off to get at the surpentine belt, or climb up in the engine compartment from under the motorhome!!! Yes my motorhome is big enough could hide a VW in the engine compartment. LOL

1987 Fleetwood Bounder. 34 foot with Chevy 454.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetMan View Post
I used mine to inspect the serpentine belt and pulleys on mine. An almost impossible task otherwise considering FL hung the fan in mid air and built the chassis around it.

Tags
camera