Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2015, 10:41 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Removed the Norcold and replaced with a Samsung. BEST decision I ever made for my motorhome. My Magnum inverter runs the Samsung just fine. I do turn off the ice maker if I am boondocking for any period of time since it uses more power.
sadrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2015, 01:01 PM   #30

When we were going through the new RV finance department warranty push we were told that if our residential fridge fails, the fridge is covered by warranty but not the $1400 to remove the windshield to replace it.

We still are not paying the $6000 they want for the warranty.
RVLola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:38 AM   #31

National RV Owners Club
[QUOTE= the fridge is covered by warranty but not the $1400 to remove the windshield to replace it.
QUOTE]

$1400 to remove the windshield? Wow! Is that a one piece or a special windshield of some type?
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:12 PM   #32

One huge piece. And I'm guessing it's to take it out and put it back in.
RVLola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:13 PM   #33

Alpine Owners Club
We replaced our Dometic the a GE residential and love it. Amazing Creations in Junction City, OR, did the work. They took the old refrigerator out and the new one in through the passenger side window over the couch. The cost was less than $1000 for the build out and installation. Not including the Refrigerator.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:40 AM   #34

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing many overlook when measuring doors and such.....

Escape hatches

On my coach many things that would be a pain to remove via the door

Slide right out an open escape window (or in) Though I might have to move the couch to use the front escape window.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:51 AM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I pulled the (4) doors and the cooling unit off and it came out the front door with very little effort. Getting the new one in is at least as difficult.
X2!

Adding the residential refrigerator made the motorhome more of a "home" to us. We leave ours on all the time -- mostly running off the inverter. Definitely recommend the upgrade. \ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:53 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ht4cae View Post
I checked all my options
1- fix existing fridge
2- replace with residential fridge
After checking all that had to be done and any restrictions, I decicded to fix the original. Here's why. Old fridge would require taking out front windshield or destroying fridge to get out the door. However, new fridge would not fit in the door. So taking out windshield was only option. As it turns out the fridge I wanted won't find the opening. It was very tight. Additionally, I could only run residential while plugged in or on generator. My inverted was only 1000 watt, not enough for fridge. When I added up all the costs, fixing my existing was best and cheapest option.
When the repair folks (Spindrift, in Key West, FL) did a great job but also pointed out my model was the old design. It's 2011 not a 2012 model. The new coils are a better design. As it turn out my recall switch probably saved me a fire when it tripped. As part of the install, I got a new recall switch, so I saved the old one, just in case. Watching these 2 guys work, I was glad I didn't take on the job myself. It not a one man show. They were finished in 3 hours and now I have a very cold fridge. I'm a happy camper because my wife is HAPPY.
Our Norcold 4 door was toast when we acquired our rig. I put a new Amish cooling unit. If she dies again a residential fridge is going in.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:28 AM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Our 07 MADP is total electric, yet it came from the factory with a Norcold 4 door. I don't think residential fridges had quiet caught on yet in RV's, when it was built. It wasn't even listed as an option. My understanding is that RV fridges use a lot more power while on electric, than a residential fridge. Since we have no propane system onboard, and the dealer was already going to replace the windshield, it was a no brainer.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, inverter, refrigerator