Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2014, 01:59 PM   #1

Installation of new Residential Refrigerator... Question on Inverter

I have decided to swap out my Norcold 1200 on my 2004 Monaco Diplomat for a residential refrigerator.

The space is above the Furance so it is limited.

I bought a Whirlpool WRS322FDAM refrigerator for the install.

My question is on the electrical side.

I have a 2500 Watt Mangum inverter currently and my Generator is 7500.

There are two outlet plugs currently in the compartment where my old Norcold was.

I don't know which outlet is which and if the power is coming from batteries, Inveter, or generator/plugged in.

I believe my Inverter is powerful enough to run the refrigerator on at startup and then easily maintain.

But my question is do I have to run a different power source there or can I just plug into one of the two outlets and be fine? Meaning my goal is to have the fridge run on the inverter/batteries when the generator is off or I am not at a camp site.... however, once I kick on the generator I want the refrigerator to use that power...

Not sure if that makes sense?

Thanks for any advice!

Will

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2014, 02:02 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
One was for the ice maker and one was for the fridge. Plug anything into one of them, and turn your inverter off. If the device turns off, this is the one you don't want.

Once you know which is inverted, plug the fridge in there.

When we did this, we did not plug in our resi ice maker and capped the water line, simply because of the power usage. Plus I like bottled water in ice cube trays over camp water anyway. Well to say we turned the ice maker off, and didn't connect the water. There wasn't a separate plug for the resi ice maker.

Should run just fine on genset, inverter, shore

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 02:11 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Typically your Norcold 1200 had its ice maker wired to an inverter circuit, so it could make ice cubes even when all else was on propane. The main fridge plug typically was not an inverter circuit, but I have no specific knowledge for your 2004 Diplomat.

You can easily determine if an outlet gets power from the inverter by simply unplugging shore power and see which outlet(s) remain powered with the inverter On. Any of them will work.

Is your Magnum inverter pure sine or modified sine? Some fridges don't like MSW (modified sine). And some work OK but the fridge manufacturer won't promise that and may not honor the warranty if it comes down to it. In that case, I would add a pure sine inverter (no charger) to the same battery bank and use it to power the fridge outlet.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #4

Great Thank you for the replies! I will try and determine which plug runs off the inverter tonight.

I have the MSW 2500 Mangum I believe. I would like to leave it as is since I don't full time in the RV and the most I ever use it is a week or so at a time, but I have heard similiar things on the MSW as well.....

I may try and plug it in tonight and see how it goes before I do the install.

If I get a Pure wave inverter how big do I need? The amps are 15 and 120V.... it is energy efficient accofding to AJ madison website.

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2014, 05:11 PM   #5

Our 2000W msw runs our Samsung just fine. I did run a wire and install an outlet box to run the new refrigerator on the inverter circuit, but that's just me. Those circuits switch automatically to shore, generator or inverter, no problem. Our microwave is on the same kind of circuit and the clock never notices when we switch power sources.

You should be fine.

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:19 AM   #6

We also installed a Whirlpool, but I already had a 2500W Magnum PSW inverter. I do know that the Samsungs work with a MSW, not sure of the Whirlpool. But if I were you I'd get a PSW for peace of mind.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:42 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
WOW getting rid of that old norcold...smart move.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
And some work OK but the fridge manufacturer won't promise that and may not honor the warranty if it comes down to it. In that case, I would add a pure sine inverter (no charger) to the same battery bank and use it to power the fridge outlet.

Just as a heads up. You know how you get those inquiries in the mail after you buy an appliance to purchase an extended warranty? Well Whirlpool won't honor it because it was installed in a motorhome. I know, I tried!!
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 04:23 PM   #9

Just a quick update on the wrs322fdam Whirlpool I installed.... It works Great!

I have had the generator on with both A/C's, Refrigerator, TV's, and Microwave all on with no problem. Also I have run the refrigerator for a few hours on the inverter alone with out any issue.

It is amazing how much colder it gets and how quickly.

We are taking it camping this weekend to the sand dunes so will test it out for an extended amount of time.

I had the wrong inveter listed above as it was in my last motorhome, this one is a Xantrex 453 2500 W. It has worked great and was told by camping world and a seperate RV shop that I should be fine with it as the Pure Sine is really for more delicate electronics such as computers and some TV's.... My two flat screed LED's have worked great for a couple of years on the MSW.

Anyway it was a bit of a project, but turned out great!

Thanks to everyone for your advice and suggestions.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:58 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Most newer fridges have electronic controls and it's hit or miss whether they work correctly with MSW power. The compressor itself should work, but it may run hotter or longer on MSW, though you may not realize it. That means long term wear and a shorter life, but maybe not enough to notice the difference. Whirlpool didn't test it that way, so won't warranty it either.

We've bought new Whirlpool fridge and washing machines for the stix & bricks house in the past 5 years and had numerous electronic failures in both, even though it is a normal residential install. Fridge had two major warranty (and later, service contract) repairs and the washer 3x. Very disappointed in Whirlpool and they company has basically told me "tough luck". Without Lowes service contracts we would have been in for a lot of expense. You won't find any more Whirlpool applainces in our house, and I won't be putting one in the RV when the time comes.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:03 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Will. I have a Monaco knight with a Magnum 2000 MSW inverter. I installed a Samsung RF194 and run it off the inverter all the time. I boondock for two weeks at a time with no problems. I fully charge batteries by 10pm and run the coach on inverter all night. By 8 am the batteries are never lower than 60%. I lovel it. Samsung, unlike Whirlpool, does authorize the frig for rv use.
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 09:18 PM   #12

I thought I would let everyone know that everything has worked great so far! I wish I had done this conversion sooner! There really isn't much draw on the system and I love how it cools so quickly!

Anyway it has worked out great for me and my family and doesn't rundown the batteries like I thought it might.....
Old 11-12-2014, 09:49 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
texas42 I had a residential refrigerator in my coach when I bought it two years ago. We have used the coach a lot and taken some cross country trips with it. When you are driving down the road in most coaches the alternator charges the batteries. I do not know how old my residential refrigerator is but I have had it two and a half years and it is working fine.
I also have a MSW inverter and to be honest I have not had a problem with anything not working because of it. I have LED televisions. A hopper dish receiver, multiple electronic devices.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:52 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Most newer fridges have electronic controls and it's hit or miss whether they work correctly with MSW power. The compressor itself should work, but it may run hotter or longer on MSW, though you may not realize it. That means long term wear and a shorter life, but maybe not enough to notice the difference. Whirlpool didn't test it that way, so won't warranty it either.

We've bought new Whirlpool fridge and washing machines for the stix & bricks house in the past 5 years and had numerous electronic failures in both, even though it is a normal residential install. Fridge had two major warranty (and later, service contract) repairs and the washer 3x. Very disappointed in Whirlpool and they company has basically told me "tough luck". Without Lowes service contracts we would have been in for a lot of expense. You won't find any more Whirlpool applainces in our house, and I won't be putting one in the RV when the time comes.
Different people have different luck with certain products. I have a lot of whirlpool appliances in my home and I have never had a problem with them. I wont own a Honda car because the one I bought fell apart every time I turned around. That does not mean millions of people have not had great luck with them. A lot of people are limited size wise on what kind of refrigerator they can by. The new Samsung is awesome but it will not go in the space I have for my unit. The whirlpool he is talking about is one of the few that will.

Tags
install, inverter, refrigerator